Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM

353 posts, read 905,628 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are taking a last minute trip to Roanoke and I need some ideas on what to do that is toddler friendly.

So far I have Safari Park and Smith Mountain Lake Park. I guess each one could occupy one day. But are there any other hidden gems that are kid friendly and parent approved?

I would love to see the Blueridge Parkway, but I am a little confused. Do you just go and drive until you get tired and then turn around? I'm having a hard time finding info besides "it's a nice place to go".

Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,071 times
As long as you're going to Smith Mountain Lake, you should visit Bridgewater Plaza and feed the carp. Kids love that. They also have mini-golf and other family-friendly stuff there. In general, you might enjoy your vacation more if SML were your primary destination rather than Roanoke, but I guess that depends on the purpose of your trip.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times
Near Safari Park is the tacky/fun Pink Cadillac diner, and you can get on the Parkway near there too, & take the scenic route down to Roanoke (maybe about an hour's ride). Halfway between Buena Vista & Roanoke you can stop at Peaks of Otter & the kids can get out & run around. There's a trail around the lake there, a gift shop/rest stop, and a lodge (which I think has another gift shop in it). Nice place for a picnic.

Other Roanoke things to do w/little ones ... the local indie movie theater has Saturday morning cartoons for the next few weekends (not sure when you're coming). The Mill Mountain Zoo is definitely pint-sized & has a nice playground adjacent to the Star.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM

523 posts, read 654,454 times
You can find plenty to do in Roanoke. If your children like trains or vehicles, there is a great transportation museum in downtown Roanoke, along with a railwalk that travels beside an active line. There is the Mill Mountain Star and the Mill Mountain Zoo (much smaller than the Safari Park) that you might be interested in. The lake is a great destination as well, and Bridgewater Plaza and the State Park are what I would recommend. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs on the outskirts of Roanoke, and places such as the Mill Mountain Star are accessible from it. It also is a scenic roadway that has multiple overlooks as it travels over mountains, so it is a nice peaceful drive that you may enjoy. You can drive as far as you like, but there are destinations along the way as well, such as the Peaks of Otter and Mabry's Mill.

You can find more information on visiting Roanoke here. Good luck!

Last edited by Scott94; 08-13-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM

216 posts, read 421,782 times
Splash Valley Waterpark

Splash Valley Water Park - Virginia Is For Lovers

Too bad Center in the Square is still in the middle of renovations. That place is a child's dream!

I think The Taubman has a "kids zone" At least they used too

http://www.taubmanmuseum.org/main/art-venture

http://www.taubmanmuseum.org/main/spectacular-saturdays

Last edited by RoanokeWahoo; 08-13-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times
Gaming arcades & mini golf......
PuttPutt in Roanoke:
Putt Putt Golf, Games, Parties and Batting Cages, Roanoke, Virginia
Thunder Valley in Salem:
www.thundervalley.net/

Bowling...
Lee Hi Lanes in Salem
Home

AMF Hilltop in roanoke:
www.amf.com

Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM

353 posts, read 905,628 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area