Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Here 2010 View Post

As for the person who said we can’t get Taylor Ham here, check Kroger. The ones by me have it.
Anyway, that’s my two cents.
which krogers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 AM

13 posts, read 25,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
which krogers?

The Kroger in Vinton has it in the Deli to slice. The one in Bonsack has it in the Deli to slice and they also had some prepackaged to sell. Also, there is a small sandwich shop on Scruggs road, attached to a country store (forgot the name - as soon as you turn onto Scruggs from 122, Its on the left), They go to Jersey and bring back hard rolls. They make Taylor Ham & Egg sandwiches.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM

141 posts, read 383,203 times
I agree with the posters who have emphasized the desperate need for a good Italian restaurant here. I lament the lack of one frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Im not a religious person so keep that in mind ( if you are , i don't mind ). I like diversity so i don't mind what religion you practice as long as your not preaching to me that i need to be a Jesus lover etc lol . Also, i was raised to work hard and enjoy life. I am not a fan of people on handouts or lazy people. I want to be in a community/area with people that are hard working like me and enjoy the outdoors. I am very into hiking, biking, fishing , hunting , atvs , camping , lakes , beaches , boats, etc.

I also do have my gun permit license for NJ and i do support my constitutional rights as everyone else should so i don't know how people are around VA about that but i am all about less government , less handouts , good education, less corrupt politics, low taxes , etc . I am a middle class worker , not a rich person or poor person. I love and support my freedoms and liberties .
You may be in for a bit of culture shock in southwest Virginia... You will definitely find people who are like-minded in respect to your views on government. Gun ownership and hunting are culturally normative in this area. However, down here, this goes hand-in-hand with Christian religiosity, usually of the evangelical type. Roanoke is more progressive than many other places in the surrounding area, but it's relative. In a recent poll of America's "Most Bible Minded Cities," Roanoke/Lynchburg were ranked together as #3. I grew up in southwest Virginia, and even being from this culture, have always felt culturally alienated, largely due to the sometimes subtle, sometimes outspoken pressure you feel when you are not part of the religious norm. I don't know that it's enough to be a deal-breaker for you, but it's enough that it's a big part of why I'm currently considering leaving (that and the poor job market if you are not pursuing a career in one of a few select sectors). I respect others' beliefs, and have made friends and acquaintances who respect mine, but it's not enough to counteract the fatigue of feeling like you either have to hide in the religious "closet" or hang out on the cultural margins here.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:20 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadStephanie View Post
I agree with the posters who have emphasized the desperate need for a good Italian restaurant here. I lament the lack of one frequently.

You may be in for a bit of culture shock in southwest Virginia... You will definitely find people who are like-minded in respect to your views on government. Gun ownership and hunting are culturally normative in this area. However, down here, this goes hand-in-hand with Christian religiosity, usually of the evangelical type. Roanoke is more progressive than many other places in the surrounding area, but it's relative. In a recent poll of America's "Most Bible Minded Cities," Roanoke/Lynchburg were ranked together as #3. I grew up in southwest Virginia, and even being from this culture, have always felt culturally alienated, largely due to the sometimes subtle, sometimes outspoken pressure you feel when you are not part of the religious norm. I don't know that it's enough to be a deal-breaker for you, but it's enough that it's a big part of why I'm currently considering leaving (that and the poor job market if you are not pursuing a career in one of a few select sectors). I respect others' beliefs, and have made friends and acquaintances who respect mine, but it's not enough to counteract the fatigue of feeling like you either have to hide in the religious "closet" or hang out on the cultural margins here.
Thank you , i will keep that in mind. I also have Texas on the back burner as well since i did grow up there and love there for about 14-15 years. I have some family down there and visit usually yearly for 2 weeks.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM

137 posts, read 218,489 times
Someone at work who has family in VA overheard me talking about the food in Virginia subject and said you cant good pizza in VA.

Come on Dub... we're counting on you.

Ill be down in April, who wants some fresh NY bakery rolls and bread?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:04 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
Someone at work who has family in VA overheard me talking about the food in Virginia subject and said you cant good pizza in VA.

Come on Dub... we're counting on you.

Ill be down in April, who wants some fresh NY bakery rolls and bread?

Jumping up and down, waving frantically - ME ME ME. Hard rolls. YES YES YES

Old 02-02-2014, 08:10 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,596 times
Bagels please, and some black & white cookies.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Bagels please, and some black & white cookies.
Yes, some bagels too and some good schmear for them.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Carmines in Middletown Orange County is still my favorite b/w cookies.

They make really nice chocolate horns and napolean, and a pretty good sfogliatella (shvooyadell) too.

Hard to believe no one makes this stuff down there.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Anything new going on here?

Heading down in a couple weeks and am going to try to stop at Luigis if I can find the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area