Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:16 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygal0000 View Post
Roanoke (and the adjacent areas) need to market themselves in a different way. Acknowledge that they are not a willingly diverse community.
I kind of choked on my coffee on this one...I'm sure the marketing gurus will be getting right on this.....this really, really confused me.

There are "willing" and "unwilling" in EVERY place I have ever lived. Kind of amazed that you have lived in so, so many different types of places but that it was the 'Noke at which you first encountered people who despise diversity (and apparently that applies to almost all of us)....hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 02:51 PM

126 posts, read 324,598 times
Watchful, I should have separated those thoughts (I'll see if I can move them into two paragraphs). Obviously, the marketing people aren't going to use "not a willingly diverse community" as a selling point. LOL. But there needs to be a place where those of us who have observed it, can comment -- hopefully without penalty.

I did not say Roanokers "despise diversity." And I'm not saying that SW Virginia is the first place I've encountered people who are "willing" and "unwilling." But it IS the first place I've lived where the overriding community attitude is...(proudly? certainly, without apology) unwilling to consider differences and/or change. That has been my experience. It may not be yours. And your "that applies to all of us" comment implies you consider yourself a Roanoker. My apologies, if I've offended you.

Like the OP, I was led to believe SW Virginia was different than my time here has shown me. And I agree with NomadStephanie that people considering a move to this area need to know what they might find.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygal0000 View Post
I was led to believe SW Virginia was different than my time here has shown me. And I agree with NomadStephanie that people considering a move to this area need to know what they might find.
No offense at all! And here’s the deal…strictly from my point of view.

It is WONDERFUL to get varied perspectives on Roanoke. It would be terrible for someone to move here from Berkeley or Seattle or Burlington VT and think they were expecting some little Southern progressive enclave. Not gonna happen!! It will be culture shock! (But if you come here from Tupelo, Mississippi, your experience might be different – not picking on Tupelo – it’s just a great name!)

Nomad’s story was very interesting, although a very important piece of it appears on an entirely different thread – her comments on her new “happy place” – Madison, Wisconsin. (So you think a progressive would be happier in Madison than in Roanoke? Go figure?)

Nomad’s comment there: “I…have never felt at home in the South…I finally realized that I hate living in the South and always will.”

I fearlessly predict that if you hate living in the South, then Roanoke should probably not be your #1 choice!

But seriously, that is actually a great thing for Nomad to figure out. One of the cool things about this board is to realize that we aren’t all looking for the same thing!

Except for four years in Kansas City, all of my previous experience has been in Texas – almost equally divided between time in Houston and time in Texas towns that are much smaller than Roanoke. (One of the things we like about the Noke is the size!) I have been in Roanoke since 2013.

Having moved here from a town that was very entrenched in Tea Party thinking, all I can say is that Roanoke is, to me, something of a breath of fresh air. Not that it is uber-progressive. Hardly. But it is clearly much more “purple” than my former “red” location! It is very easy to find neighborhoods and social situations in Roanoke that lean progressive. Honestly, that would be even easier in inside-the-loop urban Houston, too, if you could afford those neighborhoods!

It is almost impossible to compare Roanoke and Houston. Houston is SO much more international in flavor. And the Latino population has grown so very much. Roanoke almost seems quaintly “black and white” by comparison – although there is a tiny and growing slice of international presence here.

Strictly in my eyes, Houston seems like a much more desirable place for African-Americans than Roanoke. I don’t sense a great deal of over-the-top prejudice here, and biracial couples seem quite numerous. Likewise, the city law enforcement seems to be doing a relatively good job of positive presence. But overall Roanoke seems like a step back in time as far as "de facto" housing segregation, for whatever reason, compared to Houston. (I would also say that Roanoke would seem to be a better place for African-Americans than most of the small towns in Texas where I have lived.) And huge disclaimer – how would I even know? I would gladly stand corrected!

One piece about Roanoke that I am still trying to figure out. For lack of a better term, the “Anglo lower income element” here seems to be significantly different from that in places where I lived in Texas. Some of that may be connected to the mountain culture. I NEVER heard anyone in Houston call a predominantly white neighborhood “the hood.” I’m guessing that is partly due to the huge population increase among Latinos, such that “white working class” neighborhoods there seem almost entirely confined to the Houston exurbs, as best as I can tell. So many working class Houston neighborhoods have flipped white to Hispanic over the years. Roanoke is quite different.

Another disclaimer. I am a pastor. So by nature, I tend to see other cultural types as extremely interesting and as an opportunity, rather than as something to be feared or loathed or avoided. I am loving learning about the mountain culture elements and how they make the Roanoke fabric much different than what I left behind in Texas. But I can get how some people might be turned off.

Anyway, just as I hope no one gets the idea that Roanoke is a progressive enclave, I also hope that no one gets the idea that Roanoke is significantly more close-minded than other Southern communities. Thus my somewhat defensive remarks.

But, of course, I came from Texas. And if you have little or no exposure to Southern ways, it is something to consider! If someone comes to Roanoke from Lynchburg, I think they might find it a bit more progressive. Likewise, if you come to Roanoke from Asheville, it will definitely seem more conservative.

What are some “Southern” metro areas (outside of Florida) that are comparable in population? Well that would be Clarksville TN, Hickory NC, Kingsport TN, Lubbock TX, Montgomery AL and Spartanburg SC. (Three larger and three smaller – listed here in alphabetical order.) Would any of those be a significant upgrade in quality of life from Roanoke? I’m asking, because I don’t know a lot about any of them except for Lubbock haha! The plus for Lubbock? A university town! The negative? Redder than red!

So where are you now Happygal?? Still here, or elsewhere?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM

This thread may well have "jumped the shark" but as a sometimes stats nerd, I took a little peek at those seven similarly sized Southern metro areas and looked back at the 2012 Presidential results. Political breakdown is not the only measure of progressive elements or the lack thereof - but it gives a quick glance. Here are the seven metro areas ranked in order of most to least percentage of the vote going to Obama in 2012 - this is for the entire METRO area - not for the city. For better or worse, I also include the African-American percentage of the population as that will also have a high impact upon the percent voting Democrat, regardless of the level of progressive elements in the rest of the population. (I didn't know how else to put that - eek!)

Clarksville TN 41.2 (19)
Roanoke VA 41.0 (12)
Spartanburg SC 38.6 (21)
Montgomery AL 35.2 (40)
Hickory NC 33.8 (7)
Lubbock TX 28.8 (8)
Kingsport TN 26.4 (2)

I honestly know nothing about Clarksville, or why they might lead the list. If anything, my impression of Roanoke as a mid-sized Southern metro area is that it is perhaps a bit more "progressive" (whatever that means) than another similarly sized Southern metro areas. And, if anything, these stats tend to back that up.

By the way, Asheville is not on this list - because it is quite a bit bigger - but it would show as 48.3 (5) - which would back up my "preconception" that Asheville would have a significantly more progressive feel than your average small Southern metro, and quite a bit more so than Roanoke.

And HAHA - Madison WI would show as 67.6 (3.5) - so ya think it's a tad different than the South?!?!

Old 04-11-2016, 04:11 PM

150 posts, read 213,721 times
Watchful, thank you for this extremely informative and interesting post. I found it very helpful as someone moving from Houston to Roanoke.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
This thread may well have "jumped the shark" but as a sometimes stats nerd, I took a little peek at those seven similarly sized Southern metro areas and looked back at the 2012 Presidential results. Political breakdown is not the only measure of progressive elements or the lack thereof - but it gives a quick glance. Here are the seven metro areas ranked in order of most to least percentage of the vote going to Obama in 2012 - this is for the entire METRO area - not for the city. For better or worse, I also include the African-American percentage of the population as that will also have a high impact upon the percent voting Democrat, regardless of the level of progressive elements in the rest of the population. (I didn't know how else to put that - eek!)

Clarksville TN 41.2 (19)
Roanoke VA 41.0 (12)
Spartanburg SC 38.6 (21)
Montgomery AL 35.2 (40)
Hickory NC 33.8 (7)
Lubbock TX 28.8 (8)
Kingsport TN 26.4 (2)

I honestly know nothing about Clarksville, or why they might lead the list. If anything, my impression of Roanoke as a mid-sized Southern metro area is that it is perhaps a bit more "progressive" (whatever that means) than another similarly sized Southern metro areas. And, if anything, these stats tend to back that up.

By the way, Asheville is not on this list - because it is quite a bit bigger - but it would show as 48.3 (5) - which would back up my "preconception" that Asheville would have a significantly more progressive feel than your average small Southern metro, and quite a bit more so than Roanoke.

And HAHA - Madison WI would show as 67.6 (3.5) - so ya think it's a tad different than the South?!?!
I'm sure that those seven localities might have some similarities with Roanoke, but to compare Kingsport or Hickory to Roanoke... well they are more dissimilar than similar. Roanoke has a very pronounced urban core, unlike several of those other areas. If not for that, the Roanoke region would be much closer in its politics to the more conservative areas on that list. I think that it is rather comical that we base an area's "progressiveness" by the percentage of votes that Obama received. Working with local city government, I find that some of those stereotypes are actually the exact opposite, with "progressives" being much less tolerant of other's beliefs or lifestyles.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
I'm sure that those seven localities might have some similarities with Roanoke, but to compare Kingsport or Hickory to Roanoke... well they are more dissimilar than similar. Roanoke has a very pronounced urban core, unlike several of those other areas. If not for that, the Roanoke region would be much closer in its politics to the more conservative areas on that list. I think that it is rather comical that we base an area's "progressiveness" by the percentage of votes that Obama received. Working with local city government, I find that some of those stereotypes are actually the exact opposite, with "progressives" being much less tolerant of other's beliefs or lifestyles.
Yeah I didn't intend it as mere comic relief for ya! And yeah there are plenty of narrow minded Dems. I would probably go nuts in Madison Wisconsin LOL! But moving to Roanoke from a county in Texas that voted 19% Dem in 2012 all I can say is I can FEEL the difference living in a place where there is at least more than one point of view.

(I only picked those other metros because of comparable size....there was an implication - only an implication - in some of the posts issuing a sort of warning that Roanoke was a uniquely narrow-minded and oppressive area and that just does not at all match my experience, That's all!!)

Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 AM

895 posts, read 2,096,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Yeah I didn't intend it as mere comic relief for ya! And yeah there are plenty of narrow minded Dems. I would probably go nuts in Madison Wisconsin LOL! But moving to Roanoke from a county in Texas that voted 19% Dem in 2012 all I can say is I can FEEL the difference living in a place where there is at least more than one point of view.

(I only picked those other metros because of comparable size....there was an implication - only an implication - in some of the posts issuing a sort of warning that Roanoke was a uniquely narrow-minded and oppressive area and that just does not at all match my experience, That's all!!)
I would agree, and knowing plenty of conservative Texans, I'd wager that Republican voters in VA tend to be more progressive/moderate than many of their Southern counterparts. The recent primary selection of Rubio is a great example.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:07 PM

226 posts, read 303,308 times
Clarksville, TN is a college/military town. Not really a city in the sense that Roanoke is a city. It's population is very transient.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:15 PM

126 posts, read 324,598 times
Default Still here in Roanoke

Watchful asked, "So where are you now Happygal?? Still here, or elsewhere?"

Still here. Thanks for asking. And for your thoughtful responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area