Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:25 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times

Advertisements

Lately I seem to see a lot of questions from folks who want to be within a reasonable drive of Roanoke, but prefer a rural or semi-rural setting....usually with some natural beauty. Usually talking about Roanoke County - outside the city limits of Roanoke and Salem and outside the town of Vinton - or perhaps one of the adjacent counties of Franklin, Botetourt or Bedford. (Actually you can even find a few semi-rural options that are still within Roanoke City.)

Often the question is "Which direction should I go?"

On the whole, I think most folks should look ALL directions.

These homes may not turn over quite as quickly as the thickly developed urbs and surburbs, but there are multiple options in all directions.

One of the nice things about the Roanoke Valley is that you find breathtaking natural beauty in all four directions. You can find quality schools in all four directions. You will be delighted to learn that you can find semi-rural settings that are actually quite close to all the amenities of the city. Options are everywhere you turn. Roanoke has not paved over paradise.

Personally I prefer URB to suburb or rural....but in order to find your dream property at the right price, I would suggest keeping your options as open as possible.

Last but not least - I really feel for you if you are trying to do all of this from a distance sight unseen.

You really need to plan a trip and check it out.

Now.

Did I mention you need to plan a trip and check it out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 AM

91 posts, read 136,213 times
Thank you Watchful...I am taking your advice and have a trip booked for the third week in June. I plan to visit Roanoke, Salem, and Hollins. Your posts and maps have been extremely helpful. Thanks again

Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
Thanks Watchful.. Ain't that the truth. Feet on the ground as opposed to playing at the computer. But glad Anita pointed me to your top thread which I had missed. I spent a lot of time this past week studying greater Roanoke. And I will spend time this week studying your thread.

Hope to make the trip late summer.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM

And just to clarify - when looking for an urban location - I think choosing the right neighborhood is extremely important. You can have the perfect house on a lousy block, and you won't be nearly as happy as if you are in an OK house on a great block.

Pretty well true for the SUB-urbs too!

I am just thinking that is less the case with the rural-ish locations.

Once you see it you will get a feel for the place that is right for you!

Old 06-07-2015, 04:30 PM

I know. Been having trouble sleeping just thinking of all this..

What about brake-ins in the rural, semi-rural areas. Not many talk about it up here in NJ but it can be a problem. Greatly appreciate your comments.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I know. Been having trouble sleeping just thinking of all this..

What about brake-ins in the rural, semi-rural areas. Not many talk about it up here in NJ but it can be a problem. Greatly appreciate your comments.
I am only 3-4 miles from downtown but it is semi-rural - in SE Roanoke County - and you rarely, if ever, hear much about property crimes. It is much more of an issue closer in to downtown. I like having the windows open at night so I leave the front door open at night to keep the air coming in through the screen door. Don't think anything about it honestly.

My experience is limited so hopefully others will chime in if they know anything.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:50 AM

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 23,266 times
Thanks! We've been to Roanoke once recently, and we have another excursion planned for this weekend. We need a house within 2 months! Feeling a bit panicked but we are hoping that meeting with our real estate agent on Friday will make us feel better. He's going to show us some neighborhoods to help us narrow down our search area.

The tricky part is finding the right neighborhood with the right house in it. There may be lots of "right houses," but the neighborhood can make or break it. (We currently live in an awesome house in NC but the peaceful looking neighborhood is actually super noisy. Someone with kids might not mind all the noise. We hoped to hear birds instead dogs and basketball....)

Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ52 View Post
Thanks! We've been to Roanoke once recently, and we have another excursion planned for this weekend. We need a house within 2 months! Feeling a bit panicked but we are hoping that meeting with our real estate agent on Friday will make us feel better. He's going to show us some neighborhoods to help us narrow down our search area.

The tricky part is finding the right neighborhood with the right house in it. There may be lots of "right houses," but the neighborhood can make or break it. (We currently live in an awesome house in NC but the peaceful looking neighborhood is actually super noisy. Someone with kids might not mind all the noise. We hoped to hear birds instead dogs and basketball....)
The SAD news about Norfolk Southern cutting 500 jobs from Roanoke may work in your favor in finding a house.

What TYPE of our neighborhood do you have in mind. Old houses, close in and walkable, or suburban, tidy and sidewalk-free??

LOTS of great choices here!

Old 06-08-2015, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 23,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
The SAD news about Norfolk Southern cutting 500 jobs from Roanoke may work in your favor in finding a house.

What TYPE of our neighborhood do you have in mind. Old houses, close in and walkable, or suburban, tidy and sidewalk-free??

LOTS of great choices here!
We want to be within a few miles of downtown, preferably something south of Roanoke (i.e., southwest, south, southeast). We are interested in a suburban feel with mature trees and large lot. Walkable would be great. We don't really mind if houses are older or newer as long as we are not jammed in on other houses (we've tried the newer communities with .25 an acre and few if any trees and we hated it. I do love being within a 15 minute drive of shops and restaurants, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area