Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,299 times

Advertisements

Thank you Watchful and Cam4tv! You guys only prove my point on how friendly most people are in Roanoke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM

Watchful-How was your first year in Roanoke? Where did you move from? Was it difficult finding a job? Place to live, etc?

Thanks and any information would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
We have had no regrets - quite a bit of snow for that first winter!! We moved from Texas and were happy to be back in a four seasons climate - I had my job lined up before coming which provided housing, so that removed a few customary worries...we will eventually be looking for our own place for "permanent" retirement!

My wife is a school teacher and did not line up a position - so she simply did substitute teaching last year - hoping for a position for next year, but it is hard coming in as an "outsider."

Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Roanoke is a place where people WANT to live. I believe in the not too distant future many people will migrate to places like
Roanoke-Lynchburg-Blacksburg where quality of life is very high. I predict technology will make it increasingly easier for many
workers to work at home, therefore foregoing buying an overpriced home in the suburbs and fighting traffic that never quits.
I have often wondered why so many government workers don't get displaced to this part of the state, thus saving jobs and trimming salaries. I know there are many people here who want Roanoke to remain the same but we must look forward.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Watchful-
Thanks for the information!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 AM

126 posts, read 200,090 times
From someone who was born, raised, worked for the local city gov't, and then left for "greener pastures" elsewhere, I am proud to hear that Roanoke is progressing!

The issue that I always had with Roanoke was the mentality of the majority that wanted to keep Roanoke stuck in the old country southwestern VA mindset. I remember when Roanoke hired Darlene Burcham who was the city manager who was VERY FORWARD thinking and she burned A LOT of bridges because she saw the potential that Roanoke had and it ruffled up a lot of feathers down at City Hall. I will say that I wish nothing but the best for Roanoke as every time I come home to visit, I do see changes taking place with infrastructure, the community, the overall vibe of the city. MAKES ME PROUD!

Hopefully Roanoke can become a major hub but also too I know that it takes cooperation with the Town of Vinton, City of Salem, and Roanoke County to make it work!

**I wish nothing but the best!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
From someone who was born, raised, worked for the local city gov't, and then left for "greener pastures" elsewhere, I am proud to hear that Roanoke is progressing!

The issue that I always had with Roanoke was the mentality of the majority that wanted to keep Roanoke stuck in the old country southwestern VA mindset. I remember when Roanoke hired Darlene Burcham who was the city manager who was VERY FORWARD thinking and she burned A LOT of bridges because she saw the potential that Roanoke had and it ruffled up a lot of feathers down at City Hall. I will say that I wish nothing but the best for Roanoke as every time I come home to visit, I do see changes taking place with infrastructure, the community, the overall vibe of the city. MAKES ME PROUD!

Hopefully Roanoke can become a major hub but also too I know that it takes cooperation with the Town of Vinton, City of Salem, and Roanoke County to make it work!

**I wish nothing but the best!
There must be something happening here as there seems to be a lot more tourist buses, people taking pictures, downtown residents walking their spoiled little dogs and a more professional look in dress from both men and women. I liked Darlene Burcham but I think her problems here were more about her management style rather than her forward thinking agenda. Bern Ewert a city manager from the 70's really got Roanoke thinking about its downtown. Center in the Square, City Market Building,
Market Square, Va Tech Research Ctr and just about everything downtown has his imprint, not to mention Ed Walkers projects.
I wish his new project along the river a big success!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 14,446 times
I think the river project will be a key for Roanoke's future. It certainly seems like Ewert's development is coming along nicely. They just announced a commercial tennant.

Of course, if you were alive around 1990-1992, you also remember that it seemed as if Roanoke was about to really hit a growth spurt with several new developments at the time. For whatever reason, it never quite happened.

I certainly hope that this isn't another false dawn. It's time for the Star City to have a little growth.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 PM

523 posts, read 654,828 times
Roanoke was recently named as one of ten best small cities on the rise, so I do believe the word is getting out.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:14 PM

363 posts, read 557,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
Roanoke was recently named as one of ten best small cities on the rise, so I do believe the word is getting out.
Just literally posted that in another forum. Great minds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area