Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Now ask me how you say Buchanan, lol.

(Buchanan, VA a little above Roanoke)
ha, yes, this threw me off when we moved here, same as botetourt!

i say appa-latch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We have a Buena Vista here too.

We pronounce it Bune'-na Vis'-ta.

How do they say it there ?
i am originally from ca and we have a buena vista there too. we say 'bwane-a vista' and so i was thrown by boona vista

Old 08-01-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Most of the broadcasters are actually from anywhere around the country, but tend to lose their accents in school, as they are "frowned" upon in the industry, but some will still retain a little of them. The out-of-towners also have to learn how to pronounce the different places in the area. They learn pretty quick too, as they it seems like they don't want to "go against the grain" to the local public.

So far no one has touched "Fries", VA.

How would y'all pronounce it ?
i've seen fries but haven't heard anyone pronounce it but i would personally pronounce it like fry's as in french fries but i'm guessing that is wrong...freeze maybe?

Old 08-10-2016, 03:42 PM

381 posts, read 277,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful
Before coming here I would be inclined to say Bew-CAN-non ("bew" as in "view") but I think I hear it more like Buck-cannon here (not sure of the accent)
Quote:
You are correct. It is pronounced BUCK-cannon.

Even the TV Reporters pronounce it that way and it they are from out of the area, the seem to learn pretty quick, lol.

We could go on and on, lol.

Anyone for Pulaski ?

Scotland calling.it is pronounced bew-chanan.Surname of Scottish origin.We will be in the lexington area in six weeks time on holiday so will teach the locals to say it with a Scottish burr

Old 03-06-2017, 04:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
i've seen fries but haven't heard anyone pronounce it but i would personally pronounce it like fry's as in french fries but i'm guessing that is wrong...freeze maybe?
Been a while since I've been back here, but yes, it is pronounced "Freeze".

Old 03-06-2017, 05:18 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Appalachia, put a latch on it.

Every region has idiosyncratic ways of pronouncing certain place names. The ones around here still sound silly to me after nearly a decade (Byooona Vista, Buck-ann-in, Botty-tot) but the ones in MD that sound normal to me because I grew up there would sound silly to y'all (Boo-ee, Mt. Rain-yer, Rowe ["ow!"] Blvd., Weemsport).
Without those regional differences how would we know who are the natives and the visitors

Old 03-07-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Without those regional differences how would we know who are the natives and the visitors
I may have mentioned this already somewhere, but it is rumored that Staunton got it's pronunciation (or spelling) from back in the Civil War days. The locals pronounced it "Stanton" like it is pronounced today, but when someone called it "Staunton" they knew they were not from the area and possibly Yankees.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I know this thread is old, but it is so very much App-a-LATCH-un. No other pronunciation is acceptable in VA or NC or TN or KY. Ask the profs and students at App-a-LATCH-un State U in Boone NC.

Wytheville = Withvull

My aunt was a Buchanan (Buck-hannon) before she married my uncle.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
The one I keep trying is

Botetourt...... Bot-e- tot???

Old 06-22-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
The one I keep trying is

Botetourt...... Bot-e- tot???
Pretty good.

Said quickly it's Bot'-a-tot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area