Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:23 PM

150 posts, read 213,721 times

Advertisements

Well said, Migrant Wahoo. Thank you. And Watchful, keep that good news coming. Sounds like exciting times ahead for Roanoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM

238 posts, read 338,443 times
And now we are hearing today from a source in Governor McCauliffes office via WFIR News Radio Deschutes has picked Roanoke over Asheville for their East Coast Brewery!! No official word as of yet but this is the second news buzz!!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:21 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant Wahoo View Post
As a person who is moving to Roanoke next month, I can attest that from an outsider's standpoint, Roanoke is an incredibly beautiful, vibrant, and inviting city. It really baffles me to think that some people would have reservations about moving or locating a business here. There are excellent and diverse neighborhoods, great schools and universities, quality hospitals, and world class recreation opportunities.
I agree that Roanoke certainly has all that and more. It's why it is now on our short list of 3 locations to open a satellite facility. It scores at the top of the three final positions from the perspective of the employees and their families who may relocate to the new office. As a way of comparison, Roanoke beat out Ashville and Charlottesville as well as all the coastal localities we researched.

However, from an economic development business viewpoint, I have serious reservations about the Roanoke region and it's viability as a sustainable business hub. There are great things happening but there are also red flags we have seen before in other areas that have already gone through some of the growing pains and failures Roanoke is starting to see. So there is the personal perspective and the business perspective. You also have to remember, business will take advantage of a region for their own purposes even if it ends up not being that good for the people.

I'm still on the fence over Roanoke, but, in the end, I need a place the staff is willing to move and live.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:31 PM

216 posts, read 422,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
And now we are hearing today from a source in Governor McCauliffes office via WFIR News Radio Deschutes has picked Roanoke over Asheville for their East Coast Brewery!! No official word as of yet but this is the second news buzz!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Come on down Deschutes!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:01 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As a way of comparison, Roanoke beat out Ashville and Charlottesville as well as all the coastal localities we researched.

However, from an economic development business viewpoint, I have serious reservations about the Roanoke region and it's viability as a sustainable business hub. There are great things happening but there are also red flags we have seen before in other areas that have already gone through some of the growing pains and failures Roanoke is starting to see.
Thoughtful post, that makes me want to know more, but I get it!

Charlottesville is quite a bit smaller, but has Costco, Trader Joes and Whole Foods.
Asheville has TJs and two WFs, but apparently no Costco yet, but is also larger than Roanoke.

I'm sure the demographic mix of Roanoke is quite different than he two 'Villes, and that will definitely be an issue for some business folks who have to look at more than total population.

And we are clearly not a miniature Charlotte.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 PM

Major announcement tomorrow at 2:00:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/ro...748ace1ab.html

Old 03-21-2016, 06:56 PM

363 posts, read 557,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
Thinking it's them. Since the leak at the governors office already happened. JMO

Old 03-21-2016, 07:49 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
You go girl

Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM

LOL!! I'm there already .... in spirit anyway. Go Roanoke!! ))

Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 PM

238 posts, read 338,443 times
March 22 was the date Deschutes was to make their announcement and the Governor just got back from his trip. The announcement will be made in Roanoke so I assume it is Deschutes, I dont know of any other reason McCauliffe would
come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area