Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,301 times

Advertisements

Hey All! This threads kind of funny.. I moved to the region back in June of last year.. Various people both at work and neighbors have told me I have picked up the "country" accent that most people in Roanoke have. They say each day it gets more and more obvious. When I go home to visit they too tell me the same thing. Its not like I am doing this on pourpose. My question is.. Has anyone else picked up the accent or been told that they have. I dont see any difference but I guess its because you dont always hear what others hear. Is it possible to have a completely different accent after only 9 months of being in a town? I honestly dont care if I now have a country accent.. I am just curious to how true it might be. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,468 times
I've been in the Roanoke area for almost 11 months, and I can't tell that I've developed any accent yet. I grew up in Northern Indiana, which means I have as much of a non-accent as possible. My parents, who still live there, haven't commented on any change in my tone.

Maybe your native accent factors into how much you adopt new regional accents. I have heard some interesting New Jersey-Southern accent mixes down here.

I will say that I find myself using words that are distinctly Southern (ya'll or hop-in), but I will never -- never -- leave my "pop" behind

Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 AM

63 posts, read 219,610 times
[quote=Teebyrd86;2968529] My question is.. Has anyone else picked up the accent or been told that they have.

Hi Teebyrd86,

I live in Wisconsin and all I have to do is talk to somebody from Va on the phone and I have such an Accent. It gets really bad if I spend anytime in VA. I guess the kids better get use to it. We are moving around Roanoke, sometime this year. Our 6yr son has always had an Accent. Which everybody up here thinks is really funny. (A Wisconsin boy with a VA accent) and he's never left the state of Wisconsin.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I am in the Hampton Roads area, and have been since 89. My family is still up in Maryland and Northern Virginia.

My accent? Oh yea... I got a little country going on here now. Didn't take long at all. Funny thing is, when I go back and visit with my brothers and sisters, I get my original sound back, and keep it for a little while once I am back home again.

Then I start all over... My children were both born here, so they have it.. truly. Much heavier than mine is.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
It does creep in here and there. For me it's mostly the common southern phrases. I haven't incorporated "I reckon" or "yonder" yet but I find myself using the term "and what-not" in place of "and so on" I also notice I pronounce my home state of Vermont as "VERR-mont" instead of "ver-MAWNT". And I'll say stuff like "it was a hoot" and I pronounce "hoot" with something like a wavy "ooooo" sound that other folks here use in all of their "oo" words like "pool" or "tool".

Sean

Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneida View Post
I live in Wisconsin and all I have to do is talk to somebody from Va on the phone and I have such an Accent. It gets really bad if I spend anytime in VA. I guess the kids better get use to it. We are moving around Roanoke, sometime this year. Our 6yr son has always had an Accent. Which everybody up here thinks is really funny. (A Wisconsin boy with a VA accent) and he's never left the state of Wisconsin.
I'm the same way (but from TN). I swear, driving down 81, my accent changes as soon as I hit Bristol. I live in Maryland now, and most people I talk to say I don't have a southern accent. But put me on the phone with my father and it comes right back.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:49 PM

983 posts, read 3,599,010 times
Hi!

I also picked up the Swabian accent when I lived there (I live in Rostock now).
It took me months to get rid of it.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM

57 posts, read 220,855 times
[quote=Oneida;2973026]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
My question is.. Has anyone else picked up the accent or been told that they have.

Hi Teebyrd86,

Funny someone from wisCAHNsin is talking about accents.....

Old 07-06-2008, 01:19 PM

53 posts, read 201,263 times
I am originally from NC, but lately I've been told that I sound more like a Virginian. While this might seem like an apples to apples comparison, when I first started going to college in the area, people could identify my state of origin in a five minute conversation with no trouble at all. So I guess you could say I've switched from one Southern accent to another. I've even started pronouncing "Buchanan" in the same distinctive way that the locals do! Aargh! Must change that!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:48 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
So how do they pronounce Buchanan? Our agent said it was different than it looked but I didn't hear what she said? I don't want to sound funny when I say it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area