Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 02:51 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,063,476 times

Advertisements

Up to 350 new jobs over the next five years in auto parts manufacturing!

Italian auto parts maker Eldor Corp. to create 350 jobs in Botetourt County - Roanoke Times: Botetourt County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 04:47 PM

238 posts, read 338,488 times
Great News! Its so strange to hear of a major company actually bringing good jobs here. Thanks to our areas legislators and
the Botetourt folks who really wanted this to happen. Hopefully we can hear of many more announcements!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 PM

[font="Century Gothic"]Advanced Manufacturing Companies such as Eldor is a perfect fit for Greenfield. [/FThe Roanoke area has a healthy auto manufacturing sector which could grow other similar industries. ONTAlso, the craft brewery industry could
become another sector if we ever land a major distribution facility like Deschutes. The healthcare sector such as VT Research Center could spin off medical technology jobs. The Medical School could expand to include a School of Pharmacy, Dentistry
and biotech.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Does anyone have the last yearly job growth numbers for the area? I see lots of numbers and news articles on how many new jobs were created, but when viewed along side the total employment numbers it look like it's been stagnant for the year.

In looking at the numbers just for the City of Roanoke (Salem & Vinton are included) it shows a yearly growth of 2,000 new jobs. But in looking at the adult employment age population, it shows a 1,500 decrease in employment. That usually indicates that although new jobs were created, the majority of those jobs were filled by transplants (thus increasing the employable age group) and not necessary reducing the numbers in the existing local unemployed workforce.

So, from a local person's individual perspective (ignoring numbers) does it seem the area has improved employment and the current resident population is finding employment, or does it feel more like a lot of new jobs have been created but those new jobs came with new people relocating with them?

Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 AM

363 posts, read 557,520 times
Alot of new jobs have been created yes, but the last 3 economic announcements that can be upward of 1100+ jobs when in full force have yet to start hiring. It's probably a mix of transplants and locals.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 AM

And another big announcement yesterday!

http://www.roanoke.com/news/botetour....html?mode=jqm

And yeah, Rabbrita, these are three big announcements in about two weeks time.

Last year the big announcements were a little more grim...so it will definitely take a while for there to be a positive effect on the area employment stats.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
And another big announcement yesterday!

http://www.roanoke.com/news/botetour....html?mode=jqm

And yeah, Rabbrita, these are three big announcements in about two weeks time.

Last year the big announcements were a little more grim...so it will definitely take a while for there to be a positive effect on the area employment stats.
I have noticed at the Greenfield Center another site across the street from the future Eldor plant has survey flags out. Could
another big announcement of a major industry be forthcoming? Any rumors?

Old 03-19-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
I have noticed at the Greenfield Center another site across the street from the future Eldor plant has survey flags out. Could
another big announcement of a major industry be forthcoming? Any rumors?
Definitely still in the rumor stage, but Deschutes could finalize their decision anytime....but this article speculated Roanoke could land Deschutes AND Ballast Point...

Deschutes & Ballast Point to Roanoke, Plus Other Miscellaneous Musings on Malted Beverages | Virginia Craft Beer Magazine

Old 03-19-2016, 02:10 PM

216 posts, read 422,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Definitely still in the rumor stage, but Deschutes could finalize their decision anytime....but this article speculated Roanoke could land Deschutes AND Ballast Point...

Deschutes & Ballast Point to Roanoke, Plus Other Miscellaneous Musings on Malted Beverages | Virginia Craft Beer Magazine
Ballast Point is doing a HUGE marketing tour of Virginia. You'll see their beers everywhere right now. Kroger, Barrel Chest, Wine Gourmet just to name a few. So it wouldn't surprise me if they end up somewhere in Virginia. Let's hope Roanoke Valley is in serious contention.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 6,046 times
As a person who is moving to Roanoke next month, I can attest that from an outsider's standpoint, Roanoke is an incredibly beautiful, vibrant, and inviting city. It really baffles me to think that some people would have reservations about moving or locating a business here. There are excellent and diverse neighborhoods, great schools and universities, quality hospitals, and world class recreation opportunities.

I'm moving down from Cleveland, where the overwhelming attitude can be described as angry, cynical, and indignant. Although we have first class hospitals, the healthcare industry seems to be the only source of new talent into the area. Driving down any of the major highways, one can see a seemingly endless display of abandoned and dilapidated ruins among vast brownfields. Right down the street where I work, a priest was pistol whipped and robbed in broad daylight, and university students commonly get held-up at gunpoint. Five months of the year it is either too cold, rainy, or windy to enjoy the outdoors. I am an avid motorcyclist and outdoor enthusiast, and it takes me three to four hours to get to any type of respectable terrain to enjoy riding, rafting, or backpacking.

I can't tell you how excited I am to wake up on a Saturday morning, and ride ten minutes away from my apartment onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, or to head over to Goshen Pass and spend the day on the Maury. I plan on living in an apartment along the Greenway on the river, being able to ride my bike to Carilion. One would be an absolute lunatic to ride their bike to the hospital at which I currently work in downtown Cleveland.

I'm sure that Roanoke has its fair share of issues and problems. But it is always important to keep mindful of what you've got, and appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area