Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:50 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,193,587 times

Advertisements

The whole Roanoke area is getting less Republican-leaning every year. I doubt it will ever go Berkeley here but I see it continuing to moderate for the forseeable future. I'd prefer a good balance. I'm a fiscally conservative socially progressive Democrat so both the more extreme liberal and conservative ideologies can make my skin crawl.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:43 AM

109 posts, read 397,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
The whole Roanoke area is getting less Republican-leaning every year. I doubt it will ever go Berkeley here but I see it continuing to moderate for the forseeable future. I'd prefer a good balance. I'm a fiscally conservative socially progressive Democrat so both the more extreme liberal and conservative ideologies can make my skin crawl.

Sean
When you say the Roanoke area, do you mean the metro only, or are you including the surrounding areas as well? I noticed during the primaries on the little CNN election map of all of the counties and cities in Va., Roanoke was the only that Obama won on the western side of the state. It looked like only Roanoke, but I wasn't sure if it was surrounding areas, too. Any predictions for Va. in the general?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,996 times
Looks like Montgomery and Floyd counties voted for Obama on this map: 2008 Presidential Democratic Primary Election Results - Virginia

Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 PM

246 posts, read 782,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
When you say the Roanoke area, do you mean the metro only, or are you including the surrounding areas as well? I noticed during the primaries on the little CNN election map of all of the counties and cities in Va., Roanoke was the only that Obama won on the western side of the state. It looked like only Roanoke, but I wasn't sure if it was surrounding areas, too. Any predictions for Va. in the general?
I don't see what this has to do with Sean's statement that Roanoke is leaning more left--this was the Democratic primary--A Democrat won every city and county because there were no Republicans on the ballot by design!

The Allen-Webb race (aka, the Macaca Contest) in 2006 is more revealing:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2006&fips=51&off=3

You can see that Roanoke city went for Webb.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
I don't see what this has to do with Sean's statement that Roanoke is leaning more left--this was the Democratic primary--A Democrat won every city and county because there were no Republicans on the ballot by design!

The Allen-Webb race (aka, the Macaca Contest) in 2006 is more revealing:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2006&fips=51&off=3

You can see that Roanoke city went for Webb.
Great election website, thanks.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,193,587 times
It's not as interesting to me whether or not Roanoke City leaned toward Webb (D), while Roanoke County and Franklin County went for Allen (R). What is interesting to me are the trending you see when you look at election races over a number of prior elections.

Take Franklin County, south of Roanoke County, which is thought of as a rural and conservative enclave. In Franklin we actually are in a different congressional district than the rest of the Roanoke metro. Here are some results:

In the year 2000, Goode (R) won our district with 67.4% of the overall vote, with 82% of Franklin County votes going for Goode. In 2006 Goode (R) won but with 59.11% of the overall vote, with only 70.9% of Franklin County voting for Goode. This is a big change in just 6 years. Next November will be very, very interesting indeed. We've got Democrat Tom Perriello (Tom Perriello For Congress | Home Page). Tom is the real deal and I'm excited to see what he can accomplish in November. We had a chance to meet him at the Rocky Mount Independence Day celebration. He was definitely slightly left of center which is right about where I am so I know who I'll be voting for in November.

Roanoke County and City are in a different district than Franklin and you guys have been stuck with Goodlatte (R) ad nauseum because until 2006 your district wouldn't produce anyone to oppose him. In 2006, you had two unknown Independents running against Goodlatte who won with 70% of the overall vote. That probably woke up the Democratic party in the 6th district; two virtually unknown independents were still able to snag 30%. So in 2008, you guys finally have a Democrat - Sam Rasoul (Sam 2008 For Congress (http://www.samrasoul.us/home.html - broken link)) - so we'll get some idea of the political moderation of both the 5th (mine) and the 6th districts. I don't know much about Sam yet but my initial gut feeling is that he isn't quite as organized or well funded as he should be, probably because there hasn't been a grassroots Democrat machine in Roanoke's district for 10+ years.

One thing that Roanoke City needs to do is to get off their butts and vote. They did much better in 2006 but still only 26% of Roanoke City residents voted, compared to 32% of Roanoke County residents, and 35% of Franklin County residents. Hopefully we'll see more participation and better representation this year!

Sean

Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM

246 posts, read 782,860 times
I wish Sam and Tom the best but I don't think either will win. Which is too bad, because Virgil needs to go. Bob has done some good things, including the Roanoke River flood reduction project which got us our 6 mile (and growing) river greenway. But I would not be heartbroken if he lost.

Having Obama as the Democratic presidential candidate in the fall election will help the city turnout. A lot of blacks are going to vote that wouldn't otherwise (he polls 90+% among blacks vs. McCain). And a lot of people of all ethnic persuasions are going to vote that wouldn't otherwise, too.

A Democrat CAN be successful in Congress in these parts--see Rick Boucher.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:35 PM

I must offer sincere apologies for coming off like a raving lunatic in some of my earlier, posts. You guys are alright. I know that we may have disagreed on some of the cultural things, but like Obama said there are definately more things that unite us than divide us as Americans. I think when you have to deal with people who are so over the top with their views and actions on a daily basis, some of that hostility rubs off, and you carry that with you to other forums.

Dave and Sean, your insights on the elections and candidates who are running locally and regionally are very informative.

I saw in the Washington post that they believe the turnout in this presidential election will be the highest since the election following the Civil War! Somewhere in the neighborhood of 81% turnout of registered voters. That makes me excited to see not only for Roanoke, but for the country. Man, I want to believe in America again. Maybe that is why Republicans loved Reagan so much, because he made you believe that it could be "morning again in America".

In this election, I will definately make my voice heard by voting, but we will probably be exiting the area, when I graduate from college (finally) in the spring. My wife absolutely hates it here, and she wants to leave. That is nothing against the area, but she just wants a bigger area to live in, so I have to go with the missus. You know what they say, "if momma ain't happy, aint nobody happy."

As far as Sam Rasoul....Have you heard that guy speak....OMG, snore city. He is so boring. I have tried to like him, but I personally don't think he is ready for Congress. He's only 27 not saying that age matters, but it kind of does if you are running for Congress. Look him up on you tube. He has gotten a little better since some of the older vids, but not by much. I am a die hard democrat, and it kills me to say it, but I just don't see it happening for him. I will vote for him and I wish him well, but I don't think he's ready.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,091 times
i am currently living in big stone gap va and it is a very nice area to live in as far as the historical and great mountain scenes but its a very very slow pace town and i am trying to get myself to roanoke and have those opportunities that are not down here so in that sense,i need to know how can i find apartments that are privately owned in the roanoke area or the surrounding area?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,663,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoogaz View Post
i am currently living in big stone gap va and it is a very nice area to live in as far as the historical and great mountain scenes but its a very very slow pace town and i am trying to get myself to roanoke and have those opportunities that are not down here so in that sense,i need to know how can i find apartments that are privately owned in the roanoke area or the surrounding area?
In a word? Yes. However, your best bets will be to either spend some time driving the areas that you are interested in (looking for "FOR RENT" signs); or...keeping a close eye on the Roanoke Times rental classifieds...
http://www.roanoke.com/rent/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area