Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,740 times

Advertisements

Lynchburg has an active and rapidly growing arts community. The supply and cost of beautiful old homes are both outstanding and taxes are very reasonable.

Lynchburg Virginia Local Resources

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/lifestyles/features/article/revival_on_rivermont_upstart_artists_start_trend/8027/ (broken link)

Fine and Funky Lynchburg, Va. - washingtonpost.com

Here's a current historic home for sale for $235,000 with $1800 taxes, walk to downtown.

"Remarks: Circa 1897, this beautiful & inviting updated home is in historic Diamond Hill. Fresh paint and ready for a new owner! Home features beautiful trim, 10` ceilings and huge pocket doors - the kind of construction from yesteryear that fills one`s soul with grandeur and will certainly wow your guests. A sitting room is located just off the foyer and the huge dining and living room provide plenty of space for entertaining. Updated kitchen features modern appliances and is quite comfortable space to work in. The beautiful staircase is in the front foyer and a second servants stairway in the back of home leads upstairs where large bedrooms with high ceilings and beautiful flooring are featured. There is a second kitchen upstairs that could easily be converted to a 4th bedroom. The 3rd level is partitioned and floored. This could be finished for additional living space. Downstairs finished space includes a den. This is the Jack Lee house circa 1897 and was built by John. L. (Jack) Lee in 1897. He was one of Lynchburg`s famous trial lawyers. Later it was occupied by Walter Jones, General Collector. Quintus Hutter, of C. S. Hutter Co., (coal & lumber), lived here in 1946, selling it to Hunter Tanner in 1950. The home remained in the Tanner family until 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboriginal View Post
by the way - watchful, did you end up somewhere?
We are in Texas now - planning for a few years away - Roanoke would be our choice at this time.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,622 times
Am I a mentally unstable baboon if dare to suggest that “Fine and Funky Lynchburg” might be just a tad romanticized version of this town?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 AM

18 posts, read 96,311 times
done with lburg. can't handle the bible belt. sorry to those i may have insulted.

i am just too progressive to be consumed by the hatred that gets shouted.

and the hypocrisy.

now i am sure i have made enemies, so sorry.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 AM

I always love how "open-minded progressives" can't be around those with another opinion. Interesting. As if any area is that one dimensional. But I see the same thing here in liberal dominated Seattle. The "progressives" believe they are entitled to shout down and shut out any other opinions. Whatever.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
I haven't spent ANY time in Lynchburg - so I would be HAPPY to be proven wrong about how much the Falwell empire actually dominates the culture. Maybe it is just a "blip" on the scene. Driving through Lynchburg, however, it looked like the "elephant in the room!"

A book on my "one day I'll read this list" - The Other Preacher in Lynchburg: My Life Across Town From Jerry Falwell, by John Killinger.

(Actually - after 28 years in Texas - I would probably have a hard time adjusting to Seattle too!!)

Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 PM

In case you missed it Jerry Falwell died a while ago. While his son continue to try to build Liberty U, they have taken far fewer extreme positions and tend to prefer to be out of the limelight.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I haven't spent ANY time in Lynchburg - so I would be HAPPY to be proven wrong about how much the Falwell empire actually dominates the culture. Maybe it is just a "blip" on the scene. Driving through Lynchburg, however, it looked like the "elephant in the room!"

A book on my "one day I'll read this list" - The Other Preacher in Lynchburg: My Life Across Town From Jerry Falwell, by John Killinger.

(Actually - after 28 years in Texas - I would probably have a hard time adjusting to Seattle too!!)
And where is Killinger now? Don't waste your time on the book, as it is more or less historical fiction. Liberty U does play a large part in Lynchburg, as does any organization of it's size and type would. The insinuation that Liberty or the Falwell family have a real impact on the type of establishments that are found in Lynchburg is true ONLY to the extent that retail and hospitality deveolpment occurs more readily due to the number of students and visitors the the school attracts.
Check out the WaPo article and then visit a few times- after that, you would probably see things a bit differently.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM

136 posts, read 344,731 times
Maybe Falwell is gone but it sure seems to me it'll take a long, long time before they are able to shake that monkey off their back. A domineering personality such as his left the mark on an impressionable population like L-Burg, no doubt.

And I agree, that Wash Post Article on a funky Lynchburg is way ahead of its time, cuz Lynchburg sure ain't!

Last edited by thejoe; 07-24-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 02:05 PM

136 posts, read 344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
And where is Killinger now? Don't waste your time on the book, as it is more or less historical fiction. Liberty U does play a large part in Lynchburg, as does any organization of it's size and type would. The insinuation that Liberty or the Falwell family have a real impact on the type of establishments that are found in Lynchburg is true ONLY to the extent that retail and hospitality deveolpment occurs more readily due to the number of students and visitors the the school attracts.
Check out the WaPo article and then visit a few times- after that, you would probably see things a bit differently.
Visit what? I've been here for six months and I don't see anything that makes it look funky or hip? Like I said, there's a long way to go before LBurg sees anything like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area