Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,530 times

Advertisements

Greetings -- I may have an opportunity to take a job at Roanoke College, and I had a few questions....

1. If I took the job, I'd love to walk to work....how much would I need to pay to live in Salem within a mile of the Roanoke campus? I do have kids and would need at least a 3 bedroom home.

2. How are the Salem area schools?

3. It looks like you have a great quality of life.....anything that I need to be concerned about?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:08 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
The Roanoke college campus is really neat and I've been to one of the homes that seems to be literally on campus and it was a gorgeous early 20th century house. Salem real estate isn't overly elevated but anything within walking distance of the college is probably going to be elevated relative to the rest of Salem.

The Salem area schools are quite good.

Sean

Last edited by Yac; 06-04-2007 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: sorry Sean, but posting a MLS ID is considered advertising

Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 AM

40 posts, read 90,777 times
Salem is wonderful place to live, I lived there almost my entire life and now we are about to relocate to Williamsburg. Salem is more expensive to live in with it's taxes and housing but it is well worth it. You can definately tell that they care and take care of their town. Roanoke College is a very nice campus. It is located right off of Main St. which has lots of shops and restaraunts. Salem has a great school system too. Good luck to you!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 AM

567 posts, read 2,140,664 times
Yes, Salem does have some nice facilities and does take good care of its citizens. The schools are good too, so I echo what the others have said. The city has some good little restaurants and plenty of parks and festivals and events to attend.

The property tax rate is a little higher than other areas, however, but I don't think you could go wrong choosing to live in Salem if you have kids in school and wish to walk to work.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM

106 posts, read 471,830 times
I'm sure you could probably find easily affordable housing near Roanoke College. Salem isn't that big and its pretty walkable. Salem high school is a very good school, it's very close knit. If you walk around Salem you'll see lots of people wearing Salem high school jackets, its a little weird if you are not from Salem. Salem High School Football is a real big deal there. The houses are beautiful and old, with a lot of charm and character. I'm sure my grandma could help you out, she lives about a mile from RC.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:49 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Salem

I agree with previous threads. Salem is a great place to live and raise a family. It scores very high!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM

19 posts, read 90,661 times
Default sorry, I disagree

I live in Roanoke, not far from Salem and I go there often for many reasons. Like some of the other responders to this thread, I am a real estate professional. I have long believed that home values in all of Salem are inflated compared to surrounding communities (with a few exceptions, Cave Spring, etc) Perhaps the residents feel this is justified, most of the small city is beautiful and quaint...but there are some run down areas as well. Of course near the college is pricey and beautiful. Another interesting note is the rarity of multi-family units becoming available anywhere in Salem. I understand that it is very easy to keep rentals full.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area