Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:45 PM

696 posts, read 1,431,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttingdownroots View Post
Anyone have anything to say - good or bad - about Community School, in Roanoke?

We live in the Roanoke area and we're considering a move out of state, but also considering staying put.

If we stay, I am looking at Community School because it apparently has an inclusive atmosphere. I'm worried that at Roanoke area public schools our son might be a target for bullying because of his liberal, humanist / atheist, nerdy parents...! Kids being kids, he'll probably grow up to be a conservative Republican born again Christian - in which case I imagine he'll fit right in - but just in case the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Community School is looking like a good option.
For what it's worth, this liberal, humanist/atheist, nerdy parent is sending her kids to public school because of her liberal, humanist/atheist, nerdy beliefs. In fact if not for having attended public school myself, I might not even be a liberal, humanist/atheist, nerdy parent who believes in the importance of supporting public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
Default Best way to judge is a visit

I am happy to hear you are considering Community School for your child...my daughter is currently a student there, and we have had a wonderful experience. I believe you are right to be concerned about how public school might limit your child, and certainly in these times of SOL pressures and restrictions on artistic activities and physical experiences, public school is not what it once was. I noticed one of your replies mentions they believe public school contributed positively to their development, and I don't doubt it...I too, am the product of public education, and feel fortunate for it. However, it is wildly different than it was in the 70s and 80s. One of the things I like best about Community School is the hands on learning it bases the curriculum on...for instance, a middle school class was studying the medieval period, and they prepared a "feast" that included a variety of period-appropriate prepared meat, bread and vegetable dishes, elaborate period style table decor, and costumes-- they all worked together as a class project, and then invited the rest of the school to come and share in what they were doing. There is a lot of good interaction between the different age groups because the teachers realize what a positive influence children who have mastered a task can be when helping one who is still learning--they do lots of reading buddy programs and the like. We love that our child has been learning Spanish since she was four, and that her creative tendencies are encouraged and reinforced across the board. I am so grateful to be involved with a program that has helped my child LOVE to go to school...she literally goes in smiling, and by the time I pick her up at the end of the day (they offer an after school program until 6pm), she is still saying, "not yet mom, I'm not finished!"

I know it sounds too "perfect", but it truly is a special place. I am disappointed to see the earlier post by "concerned parent"...please keep in mind there are two sides to every coin. I won't try and tell you to ignore what was offered--absolutely, you should use whatever resources are available to you to evaluate whatever program you consider for your child. I would only encourage you to do your best to evaluate each program based on similar criteria, and please, please take the time to do an admissions visit to learn and see first hand what the institutions you are looking at have to offer. Community School is ABSOLUTELY worth considering! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area