Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM

308 posts, read 467,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post

Think about it, if you are relocating, you are concerned with housing, schools (if you have kids), transportation, taxes, climate, local entertainment, night life, restaurants, whatever. It's pretty meaningless where the US census bureau draws lines on a map.
Not to prolong this thread that went off topic long ago, but isn't this the point? When considering moving to a new area, you are concerned with the factors above. And how most people gauge some of these factors, ie transportation, culture, restaurants, entertainment, nightlife, etc is by size. The region's size, not the city only or segments You'll have a much more accurate picture of the Rochester area if you base this on a population size of 800k - 1m versus 210k (city only). Hence the Rochester MSA does this at just over 1m

Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post

These forums are full of questions about people relocating to different states. They ask questions about such and such city. Many of them want to live close to where they will be working. They don't care what comprises a "metro area". I'm not questioning what makes up certain metro areas or that what comprises any particular metro area is incorrect.
I disagree with this. There are many people who are looking to move to an area who wish to be within a certain distance of a city but also want to live in the country. That is when these areas come into play.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM

73 posts, read 143,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
I got to thinking I have long complained about the horrible weather Rochester has and I still believe this however not only this is true but I have also realized just how crappy the city itself is. Almost every city I have been to I have liked it better than Rochester. Everyone likes to trash Cleveland Ohio but I like it way better than Rochester. It reminded me of everything Rochester always wanted to be.

Right downtown it had a cool mall that is three stories and had a hotel and a two-story food court built right into it, also had a movie theater in the mall. That's what Rochester always wanted Midtown Plaza to be like. Also the downtown actually felt like downtown not like Rochester's puny downtown which is only a few blocks long really.

Philadelphia to me seemed a lot like Rochester on steroids and had way better stores like Nordstrom. Also there notorious ghetto Norristown I went to and it seemed so tame compared to the ghettos of Rochester. Norristown looks like 90% of Rochester to me. Actually seems safe in comparison. Not only this but in Rochester the city itself is so dangerous that no one even uses it hardly anymore. Almost everyone has moved out to the suburbs and it takes so long to commute because everything is so spread out. It's like a city built around a city almost like they did in Detroit. About the only city I ever been to that I thought was worse than Rochester was probably Washington DC.

Not to mention how horrible the nightlife is in Rochester. The only nightlife Rochester has for young people, are a couple crappy bars and coffee shops. There is hardly any nightclubs. Compare that to the glorious nightclubs in places like New York City Miami and even Montréal. Also most of the bars in Rochester are not singles bars and most of the people who go there are couples or friends so it's not even a good place to meet someone.
You are 110% right.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM

18 posts, read 21,895 times
If you live in Rochester after the first month of living there you have seen all to be seen and done. There is a good reason why property vaules are what they are. So Rochester has 1 million residents lol . A lot of corporations giving a lot of opportunity's to the work force since there are 1 million residents lol.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecar View Post
If you live in Rochester after the first month of living there you have seen all to be seen and done. There is a good reason why property vaules are what they are. So Rochester has 1 million residents lol . A lot of corporations giving a lot of opportunity's to the work force since there are 1 million residents lol.
If you've seen everything there is to see and do in Rochester in a month, then you must not work or sleep. Many parts of ROC have high property values. Very few MSA's have over a million residents. I know many people who haven't had a hard time finding a job. Then again, they are sitting on here complaining whoa is me. They're actually out there looking.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM

244 posts, read 417,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you've seen everything there is to see and do in Rochester in a month, then you must not work or sleep. Many parts of ROC have high property values. Very few MSA's have over a million residents. I know many people who haven't had a hard time finding a job. Then again, they are sitting on here complaining whoa is me. They're actually out there looking.

lol "Many parts of ROC have high property values" please list those areas

Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM

18 posts, read 21,895 times
Why would anybody who posts if you have seen all of what Rochester has too offer ur a loser post any negatives about Rochester. Take their posts for what they are Jokes , disinformation , exaggerated beliefs about Rochester and biased.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
lol "Many parts of ROC have high property values" please list those areas
Many neighborhoods in the Southeastern quarter of the city, east of Winton, Charlotte is fine, the southern portion of the 19th Ward closer to the airport and many of the Eastern suburbs in the metro, with maybe a couple of other areas.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM

244 posts, read 417,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many neighborhoods in the Southeastern quarter of the city, east of Winton, Charlotte is fine, the southern portion of the 19th Ward closer to the airport and many of the Eastern suburbs in the metro, with maybe a couple of other areas.

none of those areas have "high property values"

Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
none of those areas have "high property values"
What do you consider to be "high property value"? It is going to be a relative term depending on the area. You can look up similar information on this map: http://www.city-data.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area