Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times

Advertisements

My GF's parents are looking to move from LI. They are done with the high taxes (they pay about 11k a year now) and have no need for the City since they rarely if ever go.

They are looking at a max price of 175k. They really want a 2 family unit since we are planning on moving back to WNY then buying a house in Buffalo or Rochester. Her parents don't care about having a backyard so it can be a city type area but a little grass behind the house for maybe a swingset would be nice. They wouldn't mind city as long as it has a place to park their car and it's safe enough. Her dad wants to be able to jump in his car and within 5 minutes go to a grocery store. The only thing they don't want is lots of land, the country, and areas with higher crime.

Obviously Pittsford would be nice, Greece, Penfield, Gates. I grew up in Greece so I know a lot about it, but I'm not sure how often there are two family units. After we move out with a year or two, they want to rent it out for extra income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
two families houses are pretty much only going to be in the city. You might find some in Irondequoit MAYBE Brighton but other than that the suburban towns are overwhelmingly single family homes with a few apartment complexes. The park avenue area of the city has a lot of multi-family units in beautiful turn of the century houses. $175k would be tough to find but not impossible in that area of the city, it would just need some TLC. But property value would hold strong and you'd have no problem finding renters as it is a very desirable area for young professionals and graduate students to live.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:30 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Just go in Zillow and take a look around. I found this within 2 mins of searchin Greece and then I-quoit/Webster:

1042 High Vista Trl W, Webster, NY 14580 MLS# R169376 - Zillow

Is this what like you're looking for? Hell, my aunt used to own a nice split-level in North Greece that had a really spacious in-law on the lower level, I think it was 2 bed, full bath, large living room and good sized eat in kitchen, plus a nice deck and above ground pool. If I remember correctly she sold it for roughly $160k. If you're looking for something like that, it shouldn't be *too* difficult, you might just have to have perfect timing to find what you really want.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
This should give you an idea as to what is in the area: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
For Rochester in the City area, what areas should they avoid? I know Park Av is one of the best areas there. We went to the Arts festival there when we were back in the area a couple weeks ago and loved it. Lots of college students though playing beer pong which might be a negative plus it's pretty pricey. Any area that might be cheaper but still as safe and close to some fun things.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
For Rochester in the City area, what areas should they avoid? I know Park Av is one of the best areas there. We went to the Arts festival there when we were back in the area a couple weeks ago and loved it. Lots of college students though playing beer pong which might be a negative plus it's pretty pricey. Any area that might be cheaper but still as safe and close to some fun things.
Swillburg, Upper Monroe, Upper Mount Hope, Charlotte, Browncroft, North Winton Village and perhaps the southern portion of the 19th Ward near the airport. This should help too: Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area