Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times

Advertisements

I've had it with Florida.

The problem is that my wife and I both have education jobs and we know they are slim-to-none in WNY.

Any advice? We'll be starting a family soon and really don't want to raise our kids down here. I don't want this to be a Florida bash thread so let's focus on switching careers and areas of growth in the Rochester/Finger Lakes Area.

Help me brainstorm, I'd really appreciate it. Maybe call some headhunters? Work the friends and family (they tell me there ain't much going on job-wise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I'm not in the education field....but I would assume that the best places to go for a teaching job would be towns that have fast growing populations and school districts....in Rochester, that's Henrietta and Webster. Perinton (Fairport) too. Try applying to Rush-Henrietta, Webster, and Fairport schools would be my advice, but that's just coming from knowing the fact that those areas are growing at a steady rate and have fast growing student populations.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
....so let's focus on switching careers and areas of growth in the Rochester/Finger Lakes Area.
That leaves me out (well, sort of), I can preach the wonders of WNY, but the borderline - Rochester/Finger Lakes Area is Ontario County which is not of the "WNY" region. Whereas Erie, Allegheny, Cattauragus, Chautaugua, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, Wyoming Counties are the real Western New York. (Sorry, but to me it's like the difference between Brooklyn and the Bronx, or vise versa. Those living in each can point out the diversity of one another).

However, here in Buffalo (Erie County) though.... housing is in great supply, the taxes are a killer, (it is NYS afterall). If considering my area click here to see my "why Buffalo?" thread.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Hey Fedup, sorry if my title was misleading. If it came down to it, I would live in the Buffalo or Syracuse area as well (I'm very familiar with both and have no problems with them).

Thanks, Informed. The only problem with education is that I've heard first-hand accounts of hiring horror stories (600 applications for 1 job, fully certified teachers with masters getting min. wage in some other field).

Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 AM

118 posts, read 626,741 times
Muggy what area of education are you in? Could you narrow it down a bit? I know there are usually more openings in the Special Ed. field for example.....and of course PE teachers always have the least......

Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 AM

38 posts, read 168,381 times
Quote:

The problem is that my wife and I both have education jobs and we know they are slim-to-none in WNY.

Any advice? We'll be starting a family soon and really don't want to raise our kids down here. I don't want this to be a Florida bash thread so let's focus on switching careers and areas of growth in the Rochester/Finger Lakes Area.

Help me brainstorm, I'd really appreciate it. Maybe call some headhunters? Work the friends and family (they tell me there ain't much going on job-wise).
Muggy, my husband and I are in almost the same position, except that we already have two kids. We are both teachers in North Florida, and we are both looking to get out. Seriously considering moving back to WNY, but really concerned about the job issue. Looks like we'll have some competition. If you don't mind, would you PM me? I would be curious to know where you live in Florida and what your experiences have been like. I guess it's just nice to know that we're not alone.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:26 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
What is your specific area. I know a couple people that just came back from other areas to teach. They were subs for a few months, got long term positions, impressed the district ,and were hired the very next school year. This seems to be the way many people have done it.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,120 times
Quote:

You should take a look at Monroe county website and read about the fair plan. You should also understand they are going to raise property taxes in almost every town in Monroe county to make up for the loss of revenue. I do not forsee a good job market for teaching jobs unless there are a lot of teachers going to retire in school districts. Currently the board of ed in some school districts are filing lawsuits against the county.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
They haven't raised property taxes yet. Some districts said that they would cut programs (as they should). Some said they may raise taxes. Nothing has been done yet though. Its about time these school districts took responsibility for their bloated budgets.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Muggy, if teaching is what your professions are, I found a good link to share with you. http://usny.nysed.gov/schooladmin/repstat.html

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area