Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:12 PM

11 posts, read 12,674 times

Advertisements

Well, I will be heading up there this winter to spend a weekend and try to get a better grip on the area for sure....this is all great info! What are the areas east of the city like...it seems to be quite rural (pultneyville). I would imagine these are just small towns where people live who work in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:25 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
NYS is the highest taxed state in the union. Though this interactive map is several years old, it may give you a general idea. Map: Property Taxes in Your County | Brookings Institution

Here's a crime map of different areas in Rochester NY... Crime Data for Rochester, NY - Trulia

To those who live in the surrounding areas, Rochester is "Shoot-me-in-the-head-ville". There's at least one murder every day. There are areas (inner city) where you aren't safe in broad daylight, much less at night. Yes, Rochester has a lot to offer in the cultural department, but you can drive there, rather than live there.

Consider the surrounding areas of Rochester (Orleans, Livingston) if you don't mind commuting to work. The areas are more rural, there's much less crime, the schools are better, the neighbors are better, there's more breathing space and more hunters and other people who love the outdoors. We commuted to Monroe county from Orleans county for a couple of decades. We survived. We wouldn't live in the city if someone gave us the house for free.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 AM

384 posts, read 356,082 times
Man, with first hand info like that I don't know how I've survived for so many years living in the city.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:34 AM

93,390 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverside7 View Post
Well, I will be heading up there this winter to spend a weekend and try to get a better grip on the area for sure....this is all great info! What are the areas east of the city like...it seems to be quite rural (pultneyville). I would imagine these are just small towns where people live who work in the city?
Actually, the suburbs just to the east of the city of Rochester are at least solidly middle class to upper class(Pittsford, Mendon, Brighton(?), Perinton, Webster and Penfield). This actually extends somewhat into Wayne County in towns like Ontario and Walworth(where the Gananda planned community is located).

Census Tract 020201 in Wayne County, New York

Census Tract 020202 in Wayne County, New York

Census Tract 020102 in Wayne County, New York

Census Tract 020101 in Wayne County, New York

Census Tract 020401 in Wayne County, New York

Census Tract 020500 in Wayne County, New York

Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
Man, with first hand info like that I don't know how I've survived for so many years living in the city.
Why should any of us soft-soap the truth about the crime rate in Rochester? The OP is seeking advice. My advice is to avoid the city and look to the outlining areas. If you don't agree, then state your reasons, rather than make mockery of the opinions posted by others. Would you or would you not warn the OP not to take up residence near Avenue D, Clarissa St or any of the many inner city sections? He doesn't know. No doubt you yourself are not living anywhere near those areas. Clearly the map I provided him will give him a better view of the crime-riddled areas of Rochester vs. the safer areas. In my opinion, he'd be better off seeking residence on the outskirts. So sorry you don't agree.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:19 AM

11 posts, read 12,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Why should any of us soft-soap the truth about the crime rate in Rochester? The OP is seeking advice. My advice is to avoid the city and look to the outlining areas. If you don't agree, then state your reasons, rather than make mockery of the opinions posted by others. Would you or would you not warn the OP not to take up residence near Avenue D, Clarissa St or any of the many inner city sections? He doesn't know. No doubt you yourself are not living anywhere near those areas. Clearly the map I provided him will give him a better view of the crime-riddled areas of Rochester vs. the safer areas. In my opinion, he'd be better off seeking residence on the outskirts. So sorry you don't agree.

I could never live in any city! I would for sure live in the outskirts...Harrisburg is quite a nasty little city with regular shootings.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Because, as the OP just confirmed, this person doesn't want to live in the city so why would we try to convince them to? But calling the city of Rochester "Shoot-me-in-the-head-ville" is a blatant lie, I would say more than half of the city is completely safe and even the area with very concentrated poverty north of the city is only dangerous you're involved in shady activities in the first place. You didn't warn this person to avoid these specific areas, you painted the city with a very broad brush which is ridiculous.

You don't need to apologize for disagreeing, I'm well aware that different people like to live in different areas. I myself could never live out in the middle of nowhere, where I have to drive 15-20 minutes to get to anything. But you know what? I get that some people are into that kind of thing. What I don't understand is why people who don't live in the city feel the need to exaggerate crime statistics, what exactly are you trying to prove? We all know specific parts of the city have issues, but that doesn't make the entire city itself a bad place to live, and the numerous neighborhoods thriving on the southeast side of the city prove that.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Because, as the OP just confirmed, this person doesn't want to live in the city so why would we try to convince them to? But calling the city of Rochester "Shoot-me-in-the-head-ville" is a blatant lie, I would say more than half of the city is completely safe and even the area with very concentrated poverty north of the city is only dangerous you're involved in shady activities in the first place. You didn't warn this person to avoid these specific areas, you painted the city with a very broad brush which is ridiculous.

You don't need to apologize for disagreeing, I'm well aware that different people like to live in different areas. I myself could never live out in the middle of nowhere, where I have to drive 15-20 minutes to get to anything. But you know what? I get that some people are into that kind of thing. What I don't understand is why people who don't live in the city feel the need to exaggerate crime statistics, what exactly are you trying to prove? We all know specific parts of the city have issues, but that doesn't make the entire city itself a bad place to live, and the numerous neighborhoods thriving on the southeast side of the city prove that.

Apparently you don't understand that opinions are not right or wrong, nor are they expected to be proven right or wrong. They are OPINIONS, and nothing more. Everyone has one. It is laughable that you come back with "your opinion is a blatant lie". What the heck is the matter with you? It's just hysterical that you've taken a personal issue with my poor opinion of city living...and you dare call me a liar for speaking about things you disagree with. LMAO!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM

I didn't realize your murder a day statistic was just an opinion, it certainly sounded like you were stating made up facts to me.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
I didn't realize your murder a day statistic was just an opinion, it certainly sounded like you were stating made up facts to me.
I know at least a dozen people that live in the city and I myself lived there for a couple of years. I,m waiting for new condos downtown to move back. Not a single person I know including myself have had any real issues. It's amazing how people can make stuff up completely and try to disguise it as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area