Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times

Advertisements

RealtyTrac data shows Binghamton and Rochester are #1 and #2 for taxes paid per home value:

2016 Property Tax Analysis | Newsroom and Media Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 AM

384 posts, read 356,082 times
I don't know how many times we have to go through the exact same discussion on this topic.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Look at the sheer numbers in NJ. Your head will spin. We clear a lot less snow too. I look at NY taxes and laugh. No wonder this state is emptying out and Governor Chubbs is begging heroin users to stay here (they actually pay a lot of our taxes). "Black" drugs, lock em up. White drugs, please stay we'll help you.

Back on topic, why is Ontario County average market value $331k? Everything else around it is much lower. Is Ontario County that expensive yet low taxed, or is it a mistake?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
I don't know how many times we have to go through the exact same discussion on this topic.
Yeah, especially when a part of that is due to rate in relation to home prices, which are lower than many areas.

Also, That site uses average instead of median like this site: http://www.governor.ny.gov/citizenco...propertytaxmap

Or this: https://www.thebalance.com/highest-a...county-3193292

On the flip side, according to the Housing Affordability Index for the 4th Quarter of 2016, Binghamton is 3rd and Rochester is 30th out of 215 metros/metro divisions: http://www.nahb.org/~/media/Sites/NA...416.ashx?la=en

More here: http://www.nahb.org/en/research/hous...ity-index.aspx

It takes taxes and median family income into account.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-06-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,057 times
Sucks...life goes on.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
This has been hashed over and over again for sure. And what is always ignored is that school taxes are 67% of property tax. Which means that the vast majority of the tax is for the schools. And voters vote on school budgets. The voters here in Rochester have a lot of power to control the tax they pay. But the fact is that the schools are very, very good, and offer a lot of extra curricular activities, including new sports facilities and after school programs. Along with also providing classes in vocations and specialized areas such computer animation, computer programming, etc.

The fact is also that families move to Rochester specifically for the schools. And the fact also is that the voter does hold the power to reduce the tax that they pay to the schools which account for 67% of their property tax. But voters approve the school budgets because they don't want these programs reduced or removed from the school.

These are the facts. Yes in a vacuum and ignoring what that tax money goes for, yes Rochester area suburbs have high taxes. But it's also true that voters approve those high taxes through school budgets because they are satisfied with the schools.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:08 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
This has been hashed over and over again for sure. And what is always ignored is that school taxes are 67% of property tax. Which means that the vast majority of the tax is for the schools. And voters vote on school budgets. The voters here in Rochester have a lot of power to control the tax they pay.
Wrong.

What power does any anyone outside of the public sector in NY have over any government spending?

NYSUT and various other organizations have way too much power in NY. The money spent per pupil is obscene, with mediocre results.

Quote:
But the fact is that the schools are very, very good, and offer a lot of extra curricular activities, including new sports facilities and after school programs.
...which is where a lot of the corruption stems from. So-called 'bonds' are just another way for school districts to keep taxes going up.

Quote:
Along with also providing classes in vocations and specialized areas such computer animation, computer programming, etc.

The fact is also that families move to Rochester specifically for the schools. And the fact also is that the voter does hold the power to reduce the tax that they pay to the schools which account for 67% of their property tax. But voters approve the school budgets because they don't want these programs reduced or removed from the school.

These are the facts. Yes in a vacuum and ignoring what that tax money goes for, yes Rochester area suburbs have high taxes. But it's also true that voters approve those high taxes through school budgets because they are satisfied with the schools.
Voters in NY have virtually no power over school costs, outside the aforementioned bonds.

NY's districts are little fiefdoms full of control freaks.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Wrong.

What power does any anyone outside of the public sector in NY have over any government spending?

NYSUT and various other organizations have way too much power in NY. The money spent per pupil is obscene, with mediocre results.

...which is where a lot of the corruption stems from. So-called 'bonds' are just another way for school districts to keep taxes going up.

Voters in NY have virtually no power over school costs, outside the aforementioned bonds.

NY's districts are little fiefdoms full of control freaks.
yeah whatever. I hope if you have kids you have luck winning the lottery to send them to the magnet school that you want halfway across your county in SC. Meanwhile, here in my town which is just one of the highly rated school districts in the Rochester area, my school taxes support the school I'm 100% guaranteed to get my kids into because, yeah, my taxes go to the schools in my town and I vote on their school budgets too.

Oh, and quit parroting that lie about school taxes going up. They have barely budged in the last 5 years because there is now a 2% cap. They aren't even rising at the rate of inflation any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area