Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 10,029 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ithaca and have lived here for about 4 years. My current lease is up in July and I'm planning on moving to Rochester then. I'm running into a problem though:

Me and my roommate each have 2 cats, for a total of 4 cats. Getting rid of any of the cats is out of the question. Every place I've applied to so far is saying no - mainly due to the number of cats. 1 or 2 is the maximum allowed at all of the places I've seen so far. I'm frustrated and I'm stressing out. I'm willing to pay an extra security deposit, etc because of the cats. They're fixed, they don't scratch things and they don't pee on things. I've had both of mine for a long time and so has my roommate. They're well behaved cats.

So my question is....does anyone know of anywhere that will even think about considering tenants who have 4 cats? I'd like to find a 2 bedroom apartment or house...even a trailer park is fine. I just want to find a place in Rochester. Anywhere within a reasonable distance, like 20 minutes or so from downtown is also ok. I'd like to stay under $900 a month. I've been looking on craigslist, apartmentfinder, etc....to no avail because of the cats. I know that it's only May but I need to be looking and finding a place now so that I'm not scrambling to do it when it gets closer to July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 17,349 times
Ugh, I feel your pain. I have a mixed breed dog who looks just enough like a bully breed that finding an apartment was an ordeal.

I am sure you are already doing this, but watch Craigslist like a hawk. Look for small landlords rather than apartment communities that tend to have strict restrictions. It never hurts to shoot out an email to someone. If they do not say whether or not it is pet friendly, ask! Create a "pet resume" for your cats (https://sf.curbed.com/2012/11/14/103...ream-apartment)... have photos of each of them and focus on how much care they receive. You could even ask your vet to be a reference for them to ensure that they are well cared for. Try to find Facebook groups for local cat lovers or local renters and post there as well. Post a 'looking for' ad in Craigslist as well. It took me a while but I finally found a landlord who took a chance on me and now says I am one of the best tenants he has had.

Best of luck!

Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps you could look into some of the listings here as well: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 05-06-2017, 01:05 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Are they indoor cats? If yes, check out the mobile home communities. As long as the cats are kept indoors, trailer courts will likely turn a blind eye to the numbers.

You might also consider keeping the number to yourself while applying. Admit to 2... and leave it at that. How will anyone know you have four? Besides, nobody will care anyway. You can always say you are taking care of a family members cats for a while.

I don't know of any within 20 minutes of Rochester, but there are trailer parks in Avon and Brockport, which isn't too far, I guess. You can expect to pay around $400 a month for the lot rent, and maybe your own water bill, so if you have $900 to spend every month, you should have no problem paying for a mobile home in a park. Plus you have your own yard and a lot more privacy.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 10,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Are they indoor cats? If yes, check out the mobile home communities. As long as the cats are kept indoors, trailer courts will likely turn a blind eye to the numbers.

You might also consider keeping the number to yourself while applying. Admit to 2... and leave it at that. How will anyone know you have four? Besides, nobody will care anyway. You can always say you are taking care of a family members cats for a while.

I don't know of any within 20 minutes of Rochester, but there are trailer parks in Avon and Brockport, which isn't too far, I guess. You can expect to pay around $400 a month for the lot rent, and maybe your own water bill, so if you have $900 to spend every month, you should have no problem paying for a mobile home in a park. Plus you have your own yard and a lot more privacy.
Yes, they're all indoor cats. I tried admitting to only 2 cats but when they check my current landlord reference, she keeps saying there's 4 cats. And that's why it's making this so much more difficult. All my previous landlords said 2 cats and left it at that so this is my first time dealing with this.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM

19 posts, read 17,349 times
Check Hotpads too!

Old 05-09-2017, 07:09 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

As a landlord, this would constitute lying on your application, which means immediate eviction. Additionally, I don't know about cats, but some municipalities limit the number of pets. For instance, I believe in Greece you are limited to 3 dogs per dwelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area