Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times

Advertisements

I know it's cold. I will never drink the Karolina Koolaid. We are northerners.

A grown son is moving there. He lives in the Midwest now. He likes the architecture and the artist's neighborhood. His wife wants to move back to the NY - NJ area. She'll be only three hrs. from parents there.

I have moved a few times in my life and the success of the move seems to depend upon the willingness of new old timers to accept new comers.
In places where new comers are common, that does not appear to be a problem. SE FL. and Orlando FL are examples.

How is Rochester when it comes to new people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I know it's cold. I will never drink the Karolina Koolaid. We are northerners.

A grown son is moving there. He lives in the Midwest now. He likes the architecture and the artist's neighborhood. His wife wants to move back to the NY - NJ area. She'll be only three hrs. from parents there.

I have moved a few times in my life and the success of the move seems to depend upon the willingness of new old timers to accept new comers.
In places where new comers are common, that does not appear to be a problem. SE FL. and Orlando FL are examples.

How is Rochester when it comes to new people?

Rochester is a very friendly region. You will be welcome here. There are art, restaurants and amenities of most larger cities

Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM

732 posts, read 968,975 times
I have lived in lots of places and it is one of the best in your areas of concern. There is nothing worse than a place where you have to have grown up, or be part of some long standing group, and I haven't seen any of that here. It is not the same as FL where people come from all over, but there is real good diversity and people do things here that I had to get used to like let you out in traffic, etc (won't happen in S Fl for sure).

Old 03-24-2019, 06:28 PM

186 posts, read 135,810 times
Rochester isn't as bad as people make it sound. Democrats may lean democratic SOMETIMES, but not everyone drinks the NYC liberal koolaid. We defend ourselves here in Rochester. We got our inner loop fixed, Chick-fil-A has joined us as well us other fast food chains throughout the past decade (including Sonic and Dairy Queen). Rochester has a variety going on and we don't have people leaving "because of weather condidtions" that is our know-nothing-about-upstate-except-Albany Governor Andrew Cuomo spitting out words to humor an audicience. Because he's an Albany politician and thats what happens around here. I've learned to deal with it, well we all have or will.

Rochester has wonderful neighborhoods. Some have oneway streets which are narrow and people park on both sides of the road. RPD is out nonstop ticketing drivers for violating the "No Parking" signs and the "Parking only 6am til..." signs, etc.

Rochester is like any other city in the eastern United States, it has illegal immigrants causing problems, people giving into the problems. The only thing different is its geography, but again all on Albany politics. And once you learn to survive Albany politics and their effects on Rochester and what you can do to stand up for yourself. You can be successful in the Rochester area.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:47 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
I have lived here for going on 5 years and I have found the Rochester area to be very welcoming to newcomers. Neither my wife or I are from this area (I came here for college) but it definitely feeling like home now. My wife is from the other side of the state and I'm from Georgia. Some things I like is that I feel Rochester is the perfect size. Its big enough that it pretty much has everything to offer as far as shopping, entertainment, art, history, etc but its still small enough to get around pretty easy, short commutes, small(er) crowds, etc. Sure the winters can be rough but I think the 3 other season make up for it. You are an hour from Syracuse/Buffalo and close enough for a weekend trip to 2 major metros (NYC and Toronto).

Old 03-25-2019, 06:57 PM

61 posts, read 50,775 times
Rochester area is amazing. We are between Buffalo and Syracuse so its convenient if you need to make a trip to an event. But we have the Neighborhood of the Arts and the Geva Theatre. We also have a variety of other tricks and treats throughout the city and its suburbs, nice of shopping areas, unique parks and other recreational areas, among other things.

When it comes to politics, People here often times have strong opinions about certain issues and will vote across party lines even if its frowned upon. Rochester is where variety is the spice of life in Upstate NY.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:31 PM

55 posts, read 132,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
it has illegal immigrants causing problems
What are you talking about? That seems like an absurd statement.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
What are you talking about? That seems like an absurd statement.
I'm curious about this as well. Since I've been here I've never had single problem or heard of anyone having a problem with any sort of illegal immigrants. Don't get me wrong, there are some demographics that cause problems, like every other city in America. But in my opinion illegal immigrants are not an issue in Rochester. Some of the more rural farming areas bring in migrant workers to help with the season but from my experiences they tend to keep to themselves, work hard, and cause no problems.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:43 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
In another thread referencing US World News Rochester was rated 5th in quality of life.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
I like it because it has a lot of the same amenities larger cities have, but the cost of living is much lower.

I guess it also depends on your job, I know some jobs that only pay around 40k with a masters degree, where that same job will pay twice as much is place like Washington DC. Generally I think the secret is if you get a job elsewhere that pays well and transfer within your company to the Rochester area, it's not like your employer is going to say, the cost of living is 35% cheaper here, so you must take a 35% pay cut, any more than If I were to relocate to Washington DC, my employer is going to say, the cost of living is 3 times as much there, here's a 300% pay raise. In short I'm currently making wages that would be average for places like North Jersey, but the Cost of living isn't as much as there, so I can afford to spend and save more while maintaining the same level of comfort of living.

I can't say I'm a fan of the weather, but I'll stick it out as long as I can, I get afford save the max allowable in 401k and still not be broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area