Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,369 times

Advertisements

I recommend reading this book. It may help you figure out where you want to live.
Amazon.com: Who's Your City?: How the Creative Economy Is Making Where to Live the Most Important Decision of Your Life: Richard Florida: Books

Everyone that posted on this thread so far is a pro-Rochester poster. Almost everyone of them will not answer the question without their pro-bias opinion. So I would take their opinion subjectively. I have rarely seen any of them post anything negative or look at the Rochester area critically. For example I could post a new thread about any city verses Rochester and they will continue to tell you Rochester would be better.

My advise is to take your top 5 thing you must have in your new community that you can not live with out and then weigh each city accordingly.

If you want my personal opinion, New York state has been on a decline since the last recession in 2001. Rochester and NYC were the two cities that were hit the hardest directly after the last recession. Buffalo in the past 5 years has been on a big decline. Rochester and NYC will again be hit very hard in this latest recession. Rochester can no longer be competitive against the southern cities or overseas in manufacturing, which most of the top paying jobs were in that sector. So if Rochester is creating jobs they are in service, education, and hospitality . Which are mostly low paying jobs. NYC Financial situation is looking bleak. There are discussions that if we continue to have the problems with the credit crisis that muni-bonds for NYC are looking very weak. The Financial district could shed close to 200,000 jobs. Currently they have lost 30k and Bear Stearns will announce this week what will happen to its employees. NYC is try to raise more rates for bridges and subways again. So I think my best advise is to look at you career opportunities. If you job is not in a big demand in Rochester I would think twice because if you were laid off it may take double the time to locate a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Shib...you must read the rest of all us "pro-rochester" people's posts with a veil over your face. Read my last post...nowhere in it did I deny that the OP should be carefull because of the job situation in this area. Just that IMO it is overstated, and the fact that it has improved over the past year. btw...you put the "pro-rochester" label on anyone who says mostly good things about this area. Most of us live here. Is it not a good thing to be "pro" wherever you live? Should most people who chose to stay in a place not think there are more possitives about the area than negatives...or at the very least have faith that the negatives can be dealt with and improved? If you ask me its much more ridiculous to live in a place that you don't like and can't say much possitive about. We are trying to be helpfull and enouraging...but not unrealistic.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 AM

75 posts, read 340,633 times
Shibainu--so what you're saying is that a person with a positive bias towards Rochester has no valuable advice? Clearly only those with a negative bias, such as you, can provide accurate information!

OP--I recommend that you take a look at my post here, in which I outline some of the qualities you should have if you want to be happy in Rochester:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/roche...ally-like.html

There's nothing biased about it.

Shibainu is just one of the naysayers that plague the Rochester area. This group of people is absolutely certain that Rochester is dying and forever will be. They are positive that Rochester is terrible, and have made it their personal agenda to attack those who live and are potentially moving here. I will admit that Rochester has seen some tough times, but we are an extremely resilient city. I'd even go so far to say that Rochester is beginning to turn around--the rate of loss of manufacturing jobs is growing ever slower, while the rate of jobs in other sectors are beginning to pick up.
Of course, that's just my positively-biased opinion.

What it comes down to this--with 84k/year in Rochester, you can live like a king (or queen). With the same amount in Brooklyn, you'll live like a pauper. Just don't expect to have the multitude of world-class amenities of NYC when you get here.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,352 times
Hey, Shibainu is improving. At least he isn't spinning statistics anymore, just still making exaggerated claims. Of course most people in Rochester are going to think it is a great place to live in comparison, or they wouldn't live there.

The real question is, if it is so horrible, why would anyone live here? Don't tell me that someone cannot find a job anywhere else but this "horrible" job market. What is really worse, being a cheerleader for the place you live, or living somewhere you are miserable and not doing anything about it?

The fact of the matter is that for 84,000/year, you can be a single income family, live in a newer house in the suburbs and drive a newer car without blinking an eye (unless you are really bad with money or shop like crazy). I know this as a fact, as that is pretty close to my situation. Plus, in Rochester you can also own a boat, or a horse, or a snowmobile, or eat out a couple times a week, etc. with that same income. See what that costs you in Brooklyn. Even something as simple as cough medicine is twice as expensive there (again, this I know because I often travel to NYC for work).

Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM

Yes...but is still below freezing here for almost half the year...or is it 39% of the year?...oh wait I mean 32%...oops actually I guess its 26%.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbertol2 View Post
Shibainu--so what you're saying is that a person with a positive bias towards Rochester has no valuable advice? Clearly only those with a negative bias, such as you, can provide accurate information!

OP--I recommend that you take a look at my post here, in which I outline some of the qualities you should have if you want to be happy in Rochester:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/roche...ally-like.html

There's nothing biased about it.

Shibainu is just one of the naysayers that plague the Rochester area. This group of people is absolutely certain that Rochester is dying and forever will be. They are positive that Rochester is terrible, and have made it their personal agenda to attack those who live and are potentially moving here. I will admit that Rochester has seen some tough times, but we are an extremely resilient city. I'd even go so far to say that Rochester is beginning to turn around--the rate of loss of manufacturing jobs is growing ever slower, while the rate of jobs in other sectors are beginning to pick up.
Of course, that's just my positively-biased opinion.
Please tell us what you dis-like about Rochester ? You never state what you do not like to give the reader an idea of likes and dislikes. You are biased because you reject anyone's opinion that says anything different than you as a negative poster or naysayer. I would recommend quoting me correctly, I have never said Rochester will be forever dead. I find it funny that I point out the problems and are called a naysayer and you point out the positives and ignore the issues I raise. So in the end who is actually helping the area. The person bringing up the issues or the one that says every thing is good and never mind what I am saying because I am just to negative.

Quote:
What it comes down to this--with 84k/year in Rochester, you can live like a king (or queen). With the same amount in Brooklyn, you'll live like a pauper. Just don't expect to have the multitude of world-class amenities of NYC when you get here.
84k anywhere you live is good but is it good for the OP? Will Rochester satisfy their other needs? Your needs may be different the OP. Have you ever lived in NYC or Visited?

Quote:
I will admit that Rochester has seen some tough times, but we are an extremely resilient city. I'd even go so far to say that Rochester is beginning to turn around--the rate of loss of manufacturing jobs is growing ever slower, while the rate of jobs in other sectors are beginning to pick up.
Please read what you wrote. You are complete exaggerating the point to make it sound good. Look at Kodak, Xerox and Bausch and Lomb for example. In the article resilient Rochester in the D and C showed in 1982 that Kodak employed 60,000, Xerox 12,500, and Bausch and Lomb 3,500. In 2007 employment Kodak was 9,200, Xerox 7,600, and Bausch and Lomb 1,600. So if you take those three companies for the larger employers in manufacturing in the area. So Kodak lost 50,800 employees, Xerox 3,300 and Bausch and Lomb was 1,900. So if Kodak lost more than 84% of its work force and Xerox 26% and b&l lost 45%. So please tell me if these companies could lose more than they have in the past 20 years. Obviously the answer is no because even if all three companies go belly up to day it would not be as big as the loses that have already have occurred. So to your statement "the rate of loss manufacturing jobs is growing ever slower" you are correct because Rochester has lost the majority of the industry.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Who has EVER said that everything is good? Nobody. When have you EVER said anything even remotely possitive about the Rochester area in general without a huge "but" after it? Nobody is ignoring the negatives of this region..high taxes, harsh winter weather, slow job market. But when have you ever atleast addressed the idea that we have a low cost of living, very good schools, high quality of life, strong community identity, beautfiul recreation areas and nature, more cultural ammenities than most other cities and metros our size and beautiful weather from May to October. Did I list more possitives than negatives? Yes...Does that make me misleading and bias? No...it makes me proud of my hometown and happy to point out the good things about it rather than dwelling on the negatives. This would and should be the normal behavior for anyone who chooses to live in the area that they do.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 PM

75 posts, read 340,633 times
Exactly. No one ever said this was heaven! So shoot us if we choose to share the positive about where we live, and not the negative. Everyone and their brother knows that upstate NY, and much of the Rustbelt, has been experiencing some economic hard-times. You choose to iterate that point again and again, which comes off as condescending and negative to those of us who actually like Rochester.

How about this--I'll start sharing some negative points the day you start sharing some positive ones. Deal?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Who has EVER said that everything is good? Nobody. Nobody is ignoring the negatives of this region..high taxes, harsh winter weather, slow job market. But when have you ever atleast addressed the idea that we have a low cost of living, very good schools, high quality of life, strong community identity, beautfiul recreation areas and nature, more cultural ammenities than most other cities and metros our size and beautiful weather from May to October. Did I list more possitives than negatives? Yes...Does that make me misleading and bias? No...it makes me proud of my hometown and happy to point out the good things about it rather than dwelling on the negatives. This would and should be the normal behavior for anyone who chooses to live in the area that they do.
You do not have good schools. You have 3 schools (not districts) out of hundreds that are good. The cost of living is not low, which is another misconception.( http://www.city-data.com/forum/2962148-post19.html ) If you say High quality of life than why is the cancer rates and heart disease rates are higher compared to other cities. Strong community that is why the suburbs are afraid of the city. They do not mind working their but living their is to scary. Oh wait, you may mean that the people in city do not tell on each other after they commit a crime.

Quote:
Who has EVER said that everything is good? Nobody. When have you EVER said anything even remotely possitive about the Rochester area in general without a huge "but" after it?.
Most of my comments are not negative nor positive. A lot of my post have been perceived as negative because the facts I post go against peoples arguments or point of view.

Quote:
Yes...but is still below freezing here for almost half the year...or is it 39% of the year?...oh wait I mean 32%...oops actually I guess its 26% .
So you have may to sept for weather warmer than 55 degrees....wow a whole 4 months out of 12. Oh by the way it still 44% of the year has a temp of 39 degrees or less. The average temp for Rochester last year was 49.3 degrees. NWS Buffalo Climate Information - Rochester Monthly Temperatures (2000s)

Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Exactly. No one ever said this was heaven! So shoot us if we choose to share the positive about where we live, and not the negative. Everyone and their brother knows that upstate NY, and much of the Rustbelt, has been experiencing some economic hard-times. You choose to iterate that point again and again, which comes off as condescending and negative to those of us who actually like Rochester.

How about this--I'll start sharing some negative points the day you start sharing some positive ones. Deal?
No one said it was heaven. I did not say that. I said the 5 people that always post in the Rochester area thread are pro-Rochester and they do not answer the question with out their positive bias. They rarely talk about the issues faced with Rochester and how it affects the metro area. Unless the Naysayer(or negative) people bring them up. I understand Rochester has it economic issues and so does a lot of cities in America. I am not being condescending. I do not think that of you for every post you say how better it is. In most of my post I am telling the readers that have no Idea what Rochester is like the facts that they can get for free from their government. So I am filling in the part that you fail to tell them.

Positive ones? (I have said some of these before but I will give you a few.)
okay great commute time.
Wegmans best grocery store in america.
University of Rochester
Rit
George Eastman house
Mustard, jello, garbage plate, white hot dogs,jolt cola.
Rochester Historical background changed america. (From kodak-xerox to Douglas and Anthony)
Boating on the lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area