Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 05:09 PM

63 posts, read 303,205 times

Advertisements

I am trying to relocate with my 14 year old daughter to Rochester NY or Lancaster County. I would like to know if it is necessary for me to have a vehicle to be able to reside in these areas. I plan to rent an apartment and i would like to live in a safe neighborhood with nice schools. Do you think this would be possible for me to be able to travel to stores, shops, and restaurants and go to work without having a vehicle at this moment . I plan to get one in the near future but my main goal is to relocate so my daughter can have better schooling and a better education. I also plan to seek employment in these towns if possible my main question is would i be able to live, work there, and have my child attend school without a vehicle because i am being told you need to have a vehicle to live in upstate because everything is miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
If you live in the city, you can get away with not having a car, but the schools would not be that great. The good schools are in the suburbs, and like every suburb, things are spread out. You may be able to get away with living in the village of Webster since a grocery store is in walking distance to many areas of the village.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:34 PM

63 posts, read 303,205 times
I have recently found apartments near Park Ave in Rochester is that in the surburbs or in the city? What neighborhoods are in the suburbs of Rochester?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 PM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
That's in the city and a nice part of Rochester too. I'm not sure how the schools are in that area, but maybe private schools could be an option too. I only know that there are a couple of good city HS's there in Wilson Magnet and School of the Arts. Not sure about schools on the elementary and middle school/junior high levels though. Francis Parker elementary(School #23) seems to have good test scores and is very close to Park Ave. School #19 Charles T. Lunsford, school #58 World of Inquiry school, which is downtown and a few charter schools are the best choices in the city.

As far as suburbs, it seems like the Western suburbs(Greece, Gates, Chili, Spencerport, etc.) and the East Irondequoit area are the most affordable. Rochester's Eastern suburbs(Webster, Penfield, Fairport, etc.) tend to be more affluent, with the exception of East Rochester, as well as Pittsford. Brighton is up there too.

I think a good balanced suburb in multiple ways is the the Henrietta area. Good schools(Rush-Henrietta), diverse student population, plenty of shopping and still close to the city and highways(once you get a vehicle). West Irondequoit might be another suburban area like that as well. Gates-Chili isn't that bad either.

To check districts in Monroe County, check here:http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...&county=Monroe

Here are schools close to an address on Park ave. for example:http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/...stateselect=ny

Here's the Rochester City SD website too:http://www.rcsdk12.org/ and map of the schools: http://www.rcsdk12.org/schools/map.htm (broken link)

One last thing, is this the only city Upstate that you are thinking about moving to?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 13,213 times
Greece is the most populated suburb in Rochester so there's stores and stuff basically everywhere to walk to. If you want to put your kid in a better school system, Rochester City is no good. Greece Athena HS is the 'best' high school in Greece, academics and sports wise. Then there's Greece Arcadia and Greece Olympia. You probably want to stay away from Olympia, it's getting worse and worse every year since they started the urban-suburban program or whatever it's called. There's also Greece Odyssey, which doesn't have a specific district, it's a smaller HS that you can send your child to if you want to; they're supposed to have smaller classes and better instruction and stuff like that but Athena still beats them academically anyway.

There are definitely a lot of nice apartments and townhouses in Greece. Besides some places for just old people, the nicest is probably Carriage Glen. Stony Creek is also a nice complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area