Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 07:35 PM

118 posts, read 48,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't understand why they can't buy those people out, that are in the way. That would be a very low cost way to solve a lingering and embarrassing semi annual problem. I mean W*F. They could have done the bridge project correctly for say $20 million back then. Now, it would cost $100 million, and it's still not in the planning stage. That's why I say, give them $5 million, and all that is needed are the 2 roads, connected to the existing traffic circle.

A little more context, if you are familiar Pattenwood dr., the new bridge was aimed so as to accommodate a roadway behind the Herrima's grocery store, and over St Paul to tie into Lake Shore Blvd. They were going to put a median in the park area. Small thinking Rochester.
So that I understand, was a 590 extension to the Parkway proposed as a final leg to an outer loop? I always thought a more practical outer loop would have been to extend the 104 or Keeler St. expressway as it used to be known as across the river down Ridgeway Ave. to 390. W.Ridge would have course remain the business 104 in the city from KP through Greece just like E. Ridge is for the city through Irondequoit. I seem to to recall the Pattonwood bridge issue going on for what seemed like decades and it was highly controversial to folks around that specific area, but I have to ask who pray tell is using the Parkway? It was eerily devoid of traffic the 2 times I ever remember driving on it over the more than 40 years I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 06:21 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post
So that I understand, was a 590 extension to the Parkway proposed as a final leg to an outer loop? I always thought a more practical outer loop would have been to extend the 104 or Keeler St. expressway as it used to be known as across the river down Ridgeway Ave. to 390. W.Ridge would have course remain the business 104 in the city from KP through Greece just like E. Ridge is for the city through Irondequoit. I seem to to recall the Pattonwood bridge issue going on for what seemed like decades and it was highly controversial to folks around that specific area, but I have to ask who pray tell is using the Parkway? It was eerily devoid of traffic the 2 times I ever remember driving on it over the more than 40 years I lived there.
These discussions do indeed bring up interesting memories for me. I do believe that you are correct, in thinking that the 104 expressway was considered, at one time, to be continued on a path that would have used Ridgeway Avenue for it's construction. For some reason, it, too, was dropped.

And I believe that the continuation of the Parkway hinged, in part, on the O'Rourke bridge being completed...in a timely manner. However, it took something like 30 years for it to be finished, and by that time, it had been determined that the Parkway was no longer practical to be continued. If for no other reason than the Parkway's path through Webster was clear, at the time the original plans were discussed, in the early-late 1950s. But after all the delays, Webster became "built out", due to Xerox building it's facilities in the town, and the resultant influx of employees wanting to live near their jobs, so real estate for the Parkway's continuation would have been both expensive, as well as controversial.

As I mentioned earlier in either this discussion, or one of the other similar ones, my sociology teacher from HS mentioned how Rochester was targeted for exponential growth, but politics intervened. Maybe he knew far more about the subject than he let on. In fact, after I retired from full-time employment, I took on a part-time gig, for about 5 years, just for a little "pocket money". One of the fellows who I worked with, and who was a lot younger than I am, got into a discussion of Rochester's development, with me and one of the other guys. He, too, mentioned that he had heard the same rumors of Rochester's "stunted" growth, and it being related to politics. H-m-m-m-m......................

Old 10-28-2023, 06:28 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times
The Parkway is a pretty busy roadway from Lake ave, through Greece, but it does taper down after Manitou Beach rd. It's a very useful road if you live nearby, and want a quick, convenient route to shopping or downtown.

Like so many other projects, it was never finished, so never reached it's potential. I still use it to go to Niagara Falls, but they are tearing up the road over there.

Old 10-28-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
These discussions do indeed bring up interesting memories for me. I do believe that you are correct, in thinking that the 104 expressway was considered, at one time, to be continued on a path that would have used Ridgeway Avenue for it's construction. For some reason, it, too, was dropped.

As I mentioned earlier in either this discussion, or one of the other similar ones, my sociology teacher from HS mentioned how Rochester was targeted for exponential growth, but politics intervened. Maybe he knew far more about the subject than he let on. In fact, after I retired from full-time employment, I took on a part-time gig, for about 5 years, just for a little "pocket money". One of the fellows who I worked with, and who was a lot younger than I am, got into a discussion of Rochester's development, with me and one of the other guys. He, too, mentioned that he had heard the same rumors of Rochester's "stunted" growth, and it being related to politics. H-m-m-m-m......................

When they did the widening of 104 through the city and Greece, I thought that Rand st would have been a possibility to level all the houses and construct 104 from Lake to I390. All the homes suffer from polution from Kodak and had been reduced in price.

I remember hearing that the large companies already here didn't want the area to grow with other companies, as it would make it harder to get quality employees.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
....Like so many other projects, it was never finished, so never reached it's potential. I still use it to go to Niagara Falls, but they are tearing up the road over there.
On one hand, I know what you mean, but on the other hand, I don't understand how you'd get to Niagara Falls, conveniently, using the Parkway. I've been to the Falls numerous times, but always using the Thruway. Last time I went there, 5-6 years ago, I decided to change it up, a bit, and came home on State Route 104.

It was interesting, coming out of Niagara Falls, on 104, and as we progressed east, I saw the sign for the Parkway, and thought I'd add to the adventure, so I turned left, as the sign directed me. After only a short distance, I found myself heading back west, as whatever road I was on, had to make a big loop, to circumvent a big pond, before arriving at the Parkway. At that point, I seem to recall that we were at the "beginning" of the Parkway, and we were in Kendall, NY.

Looking back, I could see how the Parkway might have indeed been a scenic distraction, for those looking to take a relaxing ride, but other than the area immediately around Rochester, I can't see where it would have served any practical purpose. And now, the far western portion of it is simply a mess. It used to be well maintained, at least as far as Hamlin Beach, but I don't know if that's still the case.

Quote:
When they did the widening of 104 through the city and Greece, I thought that Rand St would have been a possibility to level all the houses and construct 104 from Lake to I390. All the homes suffer from pollution from Kodak and had been reduced in price.

I remember hearing that the large companies already here didn't want the area to grow with other companies, as it would make it harder to get quality employees.
Using Rand St. might have been an inexpensive path, but I think that it was too close to Kodak utilized property, and it wouldn't have been practical to relocate Kodak production buildings. Even Ridgeway Ave, west of Mt Read Blvd, would have been a bit of a challenge. And something that many people aren't aware of, is that at one time, according to what I heard, is that you could travel all the way from the corner of Lake Ave and Ridge Road to Elmgrove Rd, Kodak's furthest west complex, and you'd only be off of Kodak owned land, for something like a quarter mile. That's how much they were ingrained in Rochester, at their peak.....

Old 10-28-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
On one hand, I know what you mean, but on the other hand, I don't understand how you'd get to Niagara Falls, conveniently, using the Parkway. I've been to the Falls numerous times, but always using the Thruway. Last time I went there, 5-6 years ago, I decided to change it up, a bit, and came home on State Route 104.

It was interesting, coming out of Niagara Falls, on 104, and as we progressed east, I saw the sign for the Parkway, and thought I'd add to the adventure, so I turned left, as the sign directed me. After only a short distance, I found myself heading back west, as whatever road I was on, had to make a big loop, to circumvent a big pond, before arriving at the Parkway. AT that point, I seem to recall that we were at the "beginning" of the Parkway, and we were in Kendall, NY.

Looking back, I could see how the Parkway might have indeed been a scenic distraction, for those looking to take a relaxing ride, but other than the area immediately around Rochester, I can't see where it would have served any practical purpose. And now, the far western portion of it is simply a mess. It used to be well maintained, at least as far as Hamlin Beach, but I don't know if that's still the case.

The Parkway ends at Lakeside Beach, near Lydonville, then you take rt 18. There's a couple of nice little waterfront villages along the way. Eventually you run into what used to be the Niagara Parkway. Yes, rt 31, and 104 are also alternatives. 104 out in Niagara county really looks like Appalachia.

Back to the Parkway, from Lake ave to after Hamlin Beach state Park, there's no commercial traffic allowed, and even the bridges are arched and have a low headroom. That could be why NW Monroe county is mostly farmland. I believe in the winter, one whole side of the parkway is shut down so they don't have to plow it all. But that's the far western portion.

Pretty sure it's main purpose was to get to the park in Hamlin. It was built during Robert Moses time, and he loved to build. NYS had money back then.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Using Rand St. might have been an inexpensive path, but I think that it was too close to Kodak utilized property, and it wouldn't have been practical to relocate Kodak production buildings. Even Ridgeway Ave, west of Mt Read Blvd, would have been a bit of a challenge. And something that many people aren't aware of, is that at one time, according to what I heard, is that you could travel all the way from the corner of Lake Ave and Ridge Road to Elmgrove Rd, Kodak's furthest west complex, and you'd only be off of Kodak owned land, for something like a quarter mile. That's how much they were ingrained in Rochester, at their peak.....

They owned a lot of prime canal front property. The entire Canal Ponds office park was once Kodak property. They even had expanded to that property just before the demise. It was an exciting time to be in the ROC when Kodak was adding 1000 jobs a year. I remember hearing on the news in the late 70's that Kodak's capital improvement budget was over a billion $$ a year back then. And still there was always one or two houses on W.Ridge rd that wouldn't sell.

Old 10-29-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
They owned a lot of prime canal front property. The entire Canal Ponds office park was once Kodak property. They even had expanded to that property just before the demise. It was an exciting time to be in the ROC when Kodak was adding 1000 jobs a year. I remember hearing on the news in the late 70's that Kodak's capital improvement budget was over a billion $$ a year back then. And still there was always one or two houses on W.Ridge rd that wouldn't sell.
For a long time, a "Kodak hater" held their ground, and directly in front of the Elmgrove plant, there was a single family house. Kodak offered the owner a lot of money, but apparently he was a stubborn old coot. Finally, EK management said, "to hell with it", and just built the complex around him. Another thing I heard, was back when the EP facility was in it's infancy, and the company was still growing, the company owned the land on the east side of Elmgrove Road, all the way to the 490 expressway, as well as down to Buffalo Road, on the south side. They had "options" on all the houses that were near Buffalo Road.

I also heard that back when EK was doing well, they were so flush with cash, that there was a "department" consisting of 4-5 people who did nothing more than work the money markets. How things changed in just a few years!!

Old 11-06-2023, 09:04 AM

Curious why Buffalo is getting $1 billion for covering a small part of the 33, but Rochester is only getting $100 million, I believe for the north IL. I think we got $40 million for the east side. Not sure. Meanwhile, they already got the Buffalo Billion 1, Buffalo Billion 2, and a billion dollar stadium, in addition to $50- 100 million sprinkled for other things. This is our money. Nobody cares. What plans does Rochester even have for the future?

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/s...immediate=true

Old 11-06-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Curious why Buffalo is getting $1 billion for covering a small part of the 33, but Rochester is only getting $100 million, I believe for the north IL. I think we got $40 million for the east side. Not sure. Meanwhile, they already got the Buffalo Billion 1, Buffalo Billion 2, and a billion dollar stadium, in addition to $50- 100 million sprinkled for other things. This is our money. Nobody cares. What plans does Rochester even have for the future?

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/s...immediate=true
Sure we care, but after a while, you get tired of "urinating in wind", and just accept that Buffalo's politicians seem to be better connected in Albany, especially now, with Hochul in charge.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area