Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 02:59 PM

117 posts, read 76,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I think you folks are ALL missing the point. You pay the cable provider, you get air time. It's been that way since the advent of radio and TV. Kitty spends a lot of money for advertising, you see a lot of her commercials. However, to say that she dominates the upstate NY area, I think is exaggerating it. The Vision group has significantly more dealerships than Kitty does, and their commercials are far more numerous, as are those childish Liberty Mutual commercials, with the emu.

What annoys me more than Kitty or Vision, however, is the statement made to me, back in the mid-late 1970s, when GRC (Greater Rochester Cablevision, remember them??) came to town, and sent people door-to-door, looking to get people to subscribe to their service. When asked why we should "pay" for TV service, their salespeople would reply, "because you won't have any commercials" (anybody else remember THAT??). Now, you have more commercials than ever!!!
I think commercials depend on what county you live in. One some channels I get commercials for Banks and lawyers in Buffalo and Rochester because they probably are appealing to a district that is drawn for Rochester and Buffalo. On other channels I get commercials for places in Rochester, Syracuse and down to near the Pennsylvania border. Think it depends on the channel, who owns/operates it and what their target audience is for the commercialization. I've noticed sometimes there are advertisements for places in New Jersey and Maryland and sometimes if there is no specific commercial to fill the slot they would just repeat a commercial or advertise a TV show appearing on TV. Once it said go to channel 45 but obviously wasn't meant for me because the channel 45 in my region is not the same one as people in New Jersey.

Your BEST bet is to just change the channel when you see a commercial you don't like, or try your best to tolerate it because it will take its course soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 02:57 PM

186 posts, read 135,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
I think commercials depend on what county you live in. One some channels I get commercials for Banks and lawyers in Buffalo and Rochester because they probably are appealing to a district that is drawn for Rochester and Buffalo. On other channels I get commercials for places in Rochester, Syracuse and down to near the Pennsylvania border. Think it depends on the channel, who owns/operates it and what their target audience is for the commercialization. I've noticed sometimes there are advertisements for places in New Jersey and Maryland and sometimes if there is no specific commercial to fill the slot they would just repeat a commercial or advertise a TV show appearing on TV. Once it said go to channel 45 but obviously wasn't meant for me because the channel 45 in my region is not the same one as people in New Jersey.

Your BEST bet is to just change the channel when you see a commercial you don't like, or try your best to tolerate it because it will take its course soon.
I think you're right about the channels being different. I had friends in Waterloo whom years ago would ask why RNews (former Time Warner News/Spectrum News Rochester station) had "Weather on the nines" since for them it was channel 14 or something like that. I told them because in Monroe County it appears as channel 9 - they (my Seneca County friends) said one of the Syracuse News stations was on Channel 9.

I also see commercials where I live for places in Buffalo area like WestHerr car dealerships and Darien Lake. Sometimes I even see commercials for things I've seen in Syracuse area like Comfort Windows and Destiny USA Mall.

You're right I should just learn to tolerate the commercials I don't like and acknowledge that these are businesses promoting the station's ability to present the station's programming to where I am watching TV.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:49 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
He sure was......I worked with his BIL, and even HE wasn't able to get any kind of "friends and family" pricing on a new car from Howard, a/k/a "Shady Deal". (Kitty's father)

I do love the "dog" commercials, however.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always heard he was the worlds largest Rolls Royce dealer, and I remember $39 over invoice for Chevrolet. Always wore a long "fur" coat.

Last edited by JWRocks; 07-21-2020 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: ad info

Old 07-22-2020, 05:45 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
I think you're right about the channels being different. I had friends in Waterloo whom years ago would ask why RNews (former Time Warner News/Spectrum News Rochester station) had "Weather on the nines" since for them it was channel 14 or something like that. I told them because in Monroe County it appears as channel 9 - they (my Seneca County friends) said one of the Syracuse News stations was on Channel 9.

I also see commercials where I live for places in Buffalo area like WestHerr car dealerships and Darien Lake. Sometimes I even see commercials for things I've seen in Syracuse area like Comfort Windows and Destiny USA Mall.

You're right I should just learn to tolerate the commercials I don't like and acknowledge that these are businesses promoting the station's ability to present the station's programming to where I am watching TV.
That might have been the rationale behind the "weather on the nines" slogan, and to be honest, I never thought of that. However, the weather forecast was also broadcast, "on the nines", as in 9:09, 9:19, 9:29, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always heard he was the worlds largest Rolls Royce dealer, and I remember $39 over invoice for Chevrolet. Always wore a long "fur" coat.
I'm not sure if "Shady" was the largest Rolls Royce dealer, but in the late 60s, through the late 70s, he was the country's largest Corvette dealer. At his dealership, in Palmyra, when the Breen's (I think) IGA super market, which was next door to him, moved to a larger location, he bought the grocery store and converted it to his "Corvette showroom".

When most Chevy dealers might sell 2 or 3 Corvettes a year, Shady had 15-20 in stock at all times. In those days, Corvettes, sadly, weren't known for their high quality paint jobs. Shady would frequently order them in primer only, and then paint them in "first class quality", in his dealer's body shop, any color that the customer wanted.

And yes, he frequently wore a fur coat, and had shoulder length hair.....

Old 07-27-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post

Yes, Channel 9 is a Syracuse News stations called "News Channel 9" which also plays some ABC content. Some shows are the same as those on Rochester News stations programmed at the same or different times of day.

I notice on these Rochester News stations many commercials for places in Monroe County as well as lawyers near Buffalo and car dealerships near the PA border. Clearly their audience for their programs consist of people in the Genesee Valley and Finger Lakes area.

The Syracuse station has commercials for places here in the Finger Lakes or closer to Syracuse then Rochester or Utica so their audience is probably people between Rochester and Utica.

I would think any station that contains an audience involving people of Ontario and/or Monroe Counties would have the infamous car dealership owner lady's money in their pockets (potentially).

Old 08-14-2020, 01:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
DVR shows and fast forward through the commercials. Or ditch cable and watch Hulu and Netflix. Problem solved! I haven't watched a commercial in over a decade.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
DVR shows and fast forward through the commercials. Or ditch cable and watch Hulu and Netflix. Problem solved! I haven't watched a commercial in over a decade.
Hulu has commercials!

Also, I was watching the Syracuse news station the other day and an advertisement came on with a dogs in it and it said if you went to Van Bortel Subaru that they would donate to charity. I'm wondering if Kitty is thinking of expanding into the Syracuse market or if she just wants more business. There's no way Subaru is going to donate to charity if you buy from her, it's probably one of those things that her group as a whole is doing a drive for charity but she wants to become #1 subaru retailer in the country so she's going all out on campaigning.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:50 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
Hulu has commercials!

Also, I was watching the Syracuse news station the other day and an advertisement came on with a dogs in it and it said if you went to Van Bortel Subaru that they would donate to charity. I'm wondering if Kitty is thinking of expanding into the Syracuse market or if she just wants more business. There's no way Subaru is going to donate to charity if you buy from her, it's probably one of those things that her group as a whole is doing a drive for charity but she wants to become #1 subaru retailer in the country so she's going all out on campaigning.

I believe she's located in Victor, right on I90, literally right down the street from Syracuse. An inexpensive way to increase sales and test the market. If she says she's giving, be assured she's giving.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:30 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I believe she's located in Victor, right on I90, literally right down the street from Syracuse. An inexpensive way to increase sales and test the market. If she says she's giving, be assured she's giving.
I agree.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:49 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
The original concept of cable TV has drastically changed over the decades.

It was originally TV the consumer paid for because it was commercial-free.

Look at it now. People pay dearly for the service, yet the commercials are never ending.

It was a racket planned from day one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area