Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,523 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Rochester this summer and need to purchase a minivan or crossover vehicle to cart our two young kids (and their friends, visiting family members, etc.) around the Rochester suburbs. I've never driven in winter conditions like Rochester is known for, so am wondering if purchasing an AWD minivan or crossover vehicle would be prudent, vs. just a front-wheel drive vehicle. Any thoughts from experienced local drivers of young families are most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,051 times
Well, it depends on where you are going to live exactly, but for the most part just front-wheel drive is enough. Rochester does a great job with snow removal and plowing, so if it isn't sufficient then you probably should be home anyways. Besides, even AWD won't stop you on a sheet of ice. The best advice is to practice winter driving in an empty parking lot, especially making turns, accelerating through turns, steering out of skids, etc.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
I have mentioned this befor... but will do it agian...

Imagine driving in a horrible downpour durring a thunderstorm. Would you speed? Slam on the breaks? of course not... snow is the same thing- your car will react the same way on ice as it would if you were to hydroplane on vast amounts of water on the road. I actually like driving in snow so much more than rain because your vision isn't at as much of a loss as it is when the rain glosses over the windshild... snow, unless it is a blizzard (and then you should sit your rump at home for the night) won't be as difficult to see through. I have never driven a car with AWD... I don't think you will need it... Take the advice from rochacha and take a couple of spins in an empty lot- after a couple of times getting yourself out of a spin you will have it down and by the end of winter you will be a pro. It isn't as bad as you might think... if you can remember how to drive in a horrid rainstorm, you can drive in the snow.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM

13 posts, read 52,673 times
not needed unless you do a lot of travel in rural areas, back roads, off road, etc.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
I don't have AWD and have managed... but I have skidded quite a few times. My dad has AWD and loves it.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM

30 posts, read 295,817 times
Default Awd

If you do get AWD or 4WD remember it does not make the road any less hazardous... It does not mean you can travel 70 mph safely... Having AWD or 4WD and being over confident with it is a great way to end up on your roof or in a guardrail!

This past winter I was traveling on rural roads in the finger lakes to go to the Eastview Mall 5 days a week... Some pretty nasty weather and roads, and I was fine driving a Dodge Neon... A couple of minor skids, nothing major, a couple of hair raising nights driving home but it wasn't too terrible... You will be fine once you learn how to drive in winter conditions. Another day I had to go from Geneva to Syracuse on the thru way in an ice storm in my Neon, didn't take more then 15-20 minutes longer (normally about an hour). As stated the road crews do a wonderful job making sure we don't have hazardous roads to travel on.

You don't need it, but it may be nice to have AWD until you get used to the winters. I have been doing it for 10 years since having my license and have only been in one winter accident (nothing serious either, slid into a guard rail on a rural road and tore my bumper off)... You will get used to it soon enough, the winters here are part of what makes Upstate, NY, Upstate, NY.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 PM

96 posts, read 394,601 times
Actually, just get front-wheel drive and really good quality snows and you will be golden!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,549 times
Eh, you don't even need snow tires, just regular all-seasons will do you fine. I've been driving Rochester roads for the past 8 years, always with a front-wheel drive car, on all-seasons, with no ABS.

Only once did I have a problem in the winter, driving down 104 towards Oswego, first heavy winter snow in my first car, and I hadn't learned how to properly handle it and ended up in a ditch. (AAA came and winched me out).

On the note of AWD and 4WD vehicles, they're mostly limited to helping you get back on the road once you've gone off, not for keeping you on the road to start with. Plus, they're terrible for gas mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area