Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:29 AM

93,219 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

"No part of the world can expect to escape the effects of climate change, but some places are already experiencing extreme heat, droughts, wildfires and poor air quality.

Some people are migrating to Rochester from other parts of the U.S. in search of a more moderate climate.

In the last couple of years, two families, astounded by increasingly stifling temperatures and fearful of losing their homes to encroaching wildfires, made the decision to relocate."

More here: https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/...-and-wildfires

I wonder if there are others that have done this in the area or in other parts of Upstate as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 02:17 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
New York State winters can be tough to get through but man am I glad we don't have to deal with extreme heat, wildfires, tornados, earthquakes, water shortages, etc.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:54 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
New York State winters can be tough to get through but man am I glad we don't have to deal with extreme heat, wildfires, tornados, earthquakes, water shortages, etc.
Agreed.

Old 04-25-2022, 04:11 PM

214 posts, read 260,795 times
The weather is wonderful down here in coastal South Carolina .

Old 04-26-2022, 09:14 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
Good vacation weather. We are going down to North Myrtle this summer. Looking forward to it.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:44 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some people are migrating to Rochester from other parts of the U.S. in search of a more moderate climate.
I think we will see this trend continue, and only greatly accelerate within the next five years. Rochester is among the top ten cities that are considered climate havens. (Buffalo is #2). While no part of the country will be spared the effects of climate change, Rochester is well positioned to take advantage of those looking to escape extreme heat and other extreme weather that will affect most of the rest of the country every summer. As for Rochester cold winters, they may not be that cold in the future. From 1970 to 2020, Rochester Average temperatures rose from 25F to 29F, and are predicted only to get even warmer in future years.

While parts of the country were housing demand and prices are leveling off and starting to fall, Rochester could very well be in for dramatic price increases in the future. Imagine California like prices in coming years, where an average 3 bed room, 1 bathroom house goes for 900k. This really isn't far fetched, one biggest reasons people migrated to California was it great weather year round. Mild winters, with good summers could be the recipe for population boom in Up state New York.

Last edited by TechGromit; 07-19-2022 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-19-2022, 02:51 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Good vacation weather. We are going down to North Myrtle this summer. Looking forward to it.
Here's to reviving an older discussion.....

I've been to North Myrtle Beach several times, as one of my co-workers used to own a condo unit there. The first couple of times that I went, it was with a couple of my friends from my neighborhood. We were all single, and able to schedule vacation time from our jobs pretty much whenever we wanted. We opted to go early in the summer, mid to late May, and the weather was very comfortable, a pleasant change from our northeastern winters.

The next time I went, was with a couple of friends from work, and it was a "spur of the moment" trip, heading into Labor Day weekend, and the following week. It was HOT, extremely hot, over 100* during the day. We, literally, didn't do much of anything but sit IN the pool, as any physical activity was borderline difficult.

After I got married, I went 3-4 more times, with my wife, of course, and it was early in July. She was a teacher, and we had to schedule our vacations around the school being closed for the summer. We must have been lucky, as it was warm, during those trips, but only in the high 80s-very low 90s.

So, I guess how wonderful the weather is, depends on how well you tolerate heat. But as I'm typing this, I just remembered one of our trips where it rained pretty much incessantly....to the point that we stayed only 3 days, and headed home. And you've never experienced a thunderstorm, until you've been through one that blew in from over the ocean. The thunder and lightning was so severe, at 4AM, no less, I thought the building had suffered an explosion. (We stayed in a beachfront hotel, that year)

Old 03-18-2023, 06:12 AM

86 posts, read 60,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I think we will see this trend continue, and only greatly accelerate within the next five years. Rochester is among the top ten cities that are considered climate havens. (Buffalo is #2). While no part of the country will be spared the effects of climate change, Rochester is well positioned to take advantage of those looking to escape extreme heat and other extreme weather that will affect most of the rest of the country every summer. As for Rochester cold winters, they may not be that cold in the future. From 1970 to 2020, Rochester Average temperatures rose from 25F to 29F, and are predicted only to get even warmer in future years.

While parts of the country were housing demand and prices are leveling off and starting to fall, Rochester could very well be in for dramatic price increases in the future. Imagine California like prices in coming years, where an average 3 bed room, 1 bathroom house goes for 900k. This really isn't far fetched, one biggest reasons people migrated to California was it great weather year round. Mild winters, with good summers could be the recipe for population boom in Up state New York.
I’m a California native (born and raised in Sacramento, CA). I can confirm climate change is driving the population to leave. After living in the Bay Area (San Francisco/Walnut Creek/San Rafael) I moved to Philadelphia. The wildfires have become too scary and housing is costly (and risky financially if you’re not wealthy). I just found out I’m pregnant with our third and our condo in the city may be too cramped. Rochester is on our list as remote working millennials. Unfortunately, no city in California is being considered. We will sooner stay in Philadelphia and make things work than worry about serious lung damage from wildfire smoke.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:54 AM

224 posts, read 136,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
I’m a California native (born and raised in Sacramento, CA). I can confirm climate change is driving the population to leave. After living in the Bay Area (San Francisco/Walnut Creek/San Rafael) I moved to Philadelphia. The wildfires have become too scary and housing is costly (and risky financially if you’re not wealthy). I just found out I’m pregnant with our third and our condo in the city may be too cramped. Rochester is on our list as remote working millennials. Unfortunately, no city in California is being considered. We will sooner stay in Philadelphia and make things work than worry about serious lung damage from wildfire smoke.
For any remote workers considering the Rochester area, here is an incentive program to potentially assist with your relocation:
https://www.greaterrocremote.com/
https://www.greaterrocremote.com/program

Old 03-20-2023, 10:24 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
I do think over the next 20-50 years, this will be a significant driver of growth for not just Rochester, but basically the entire Great Lakes region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area