Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 01:48 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I did and it was pretty straightforward, but you didn’t address the corruption claim in relation to the topic. That was all I asked. How does corruption come into play in regards to the formation of a countywide SD in Monroe County(or the current multiple SD structure)?
I wasn't born yesterday. The larger the organization, the more the corruption. How about rewarding friends with contracts for starters?

NOW will you answer my question??

Show me where the savings are, and how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 02:34 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I wasn't born yesterday. The larger the organization, the more the corruption. How about rewarding friends with contracts for starters?

NOW will you answer my question??

Show me where the savings are, and how much?
I thought you were stating something in regards to corruption that you knew about currently in Monroe County government. So, are county schools districts elsewhere more corrupt?

Actually, your question is referring to a metro area SD, which isn’t what is being talked about in the OP or by anyone else. In essence, just like county government, a countywide SD would have a budget it would have to adhere to. As a former regular poster on here(VA Yankee) would state, that was the case for the VA county school district they were familiar with. Somehow, school taxes are lower in these counties. Sure, there may be other things to consider, but there are examples in other states where it works.

In the case of the OP, they are likely looking at the formation of a countywide SD in line with Wake County NC, where Raleigh is included. As mentioned earlier in the thread though, state law wouldn’t allow for a Big 5 school district to join that type of set up. Hence why I mentioned the example of KY having counties with a city SD, with a countywide SD around it. You wouldn’t have the option of Rochester City students having other choices, but this is why I mentioned the Suburban/Urban program, which allows city students to attend suburban schools as a voluntary integration academic program. So, that is the only possible way for more public school options for students in Rochester. That aspect was also apart of the original post.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:11 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Rochester is the heart of the area, but its school system is one of the worst in the state -- and in the country.

In other areas of the country, county systems are used. Many towns and suburbs are part of ONE school system. Students do much better, costs are lower, and so taxes are lower.

If Rochester's city schools were better, that would affect, in a positive way, the entire area.

What do you think? Should there be a MONROE COUNTY school system?
Maybe I'm oversimplifying the situation, but to me, it would seem to be another way to siphon off funds from the suburbs, to prop up the failing city school district...........

Old 06-07-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Maybe I'm oversimplifying the situation, but to me, it would seem to be another way to siphon off funds from the suburbs, to prop up the failing city school district...........
Well, what occurred in many Southern states is that many had to find ways to integrate its schools, but what also happened is that they saved money by consolidating school districts. Meaning, it saved in terms of school taxes, which ironically is the biggest portion of property taxes in our state. This is why I mention this as a possibility a lot due to complaints about property taxes. Some of this will come down to how and why I reference what occurs in other states with lower property taxes. Oddly enough, some people on here may not consider how this could also have an impact on attracting businesses or allowing for more people to create businesses as an indirect positive aspect of this.

However, as mentioned a couple times in the thread, Rochester can not consolidate within a Monroe County SD due to being a Big 5 school district that is attached to the budget of a city. Here is a recent opinion piece in the Minority Reporter newspaper about how families can not vote on a budget in the RCSD and are voted on by the board/council: Minority Reporter – RCSD School Budget: There Must Be a Better Way This actually might make the case for consolidating the RCSD in order for city (read mainly of color) families to participate in a budget vote in relation to the education of their children. Besides Buffalo and Syracuse, Yonkers and NYC are in the same boat as the other members of the Big 5 school districts in the state.

As mentioned before, the inability to consolidate may also play a part in the implementation of the Urban/Suburban program in the area.

Lastly, we have to keep in mind that without Rochester there aren’t suburbs. So, one hand washes the other.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2022 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, what occurred in many Southern states is that many had to find ways to integrate its schools, but what also happened is that they saved money by consolidating school districts. Meaning, it saved in terms of school taxes, which ironically is the biggest portion of property taxes in our state. This is why I mention this as a possibility a lot due to complaints about property taxes. Some of this will come down to how and why I reference what occurs in other states with lower property taxes. Oddly enough, some people on here may not consider how this could also have an impact on attracting businesses or allowing for more people to create businesses as an indirect positive aspect of this.

However, as mentioned a couple times in the thread, Rochester can not consolidate within a Monroe County SD due to being a Big 5 school district that is attached to the budget of a city. Here is a recent opinion piece in the Minority Reporter newspaper about how families can not vote on a budget in the RCSD and are voted on by the board/council: Minority Reporter – RCSD School Budget: There Must Be a Better Way This actually might make the case for consolidating the RCSD in order for city (read mainly of color) families to participate in a budget vote in relation to the education of their children. Besides Buffalo and Syracuse, Yonkers and NYC are in the same boat as the other members of the Big 5 school districts in the state.

As mentioned before, the inability to consolidate may also play a part in the implementation of the Urban/Suburban program in the area.

Lastly, we have to keep in mind that without Rochester there aren’t suburbs. So, one hand washes the other.
That was true 100 years ago, but now the suburbs subsidize the city

Old 06-07-2022, 09:41 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
That was true 100 years ago, but now the suburbs subsidize the city
True, and this discussion is not about the "southern states"......

Old 06-07-2022, 09:51 AM

^Yet, those are the states people/businesses are moving to/growing at higher rates.

Also, in terms of subsidizing, ask the RPD/RFD/RCSD staff, teachers and admins that live in those suburbs where their pay comes from. Think of retirees as well. In fact, this also makes the case for consolidation.

What makes the latter very interesting is if you look at things from a demographic standpoint.

Another thing is that the only other example of the latter is that people in an adjacent county can work for another county in certain circumstances.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2022 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-20-2022, 11:07 AM

163 posts, read 102,702 times
Apparently the RCSD superintendent is going to be replaced but I'm not able to find the full story anywhere online. I don't have a Democrat & Chronicle subscription.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
Apparently the RCSD superintendent is going to be replaced but I'm not able to find the full story anywhere online. I don't have a Democrat & Chronicle subscription.
They really need to put a turnstile outside the administrator's door. I believe there's a new one nearly every year. Problem is, they never look for an administrator. They are always looking for a person of color, female, or something other than an administrator as the primary requirement.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:50 PM

^She was the superintendent of Brockport Schools previously, but it looks like she had some issues while with the RCSD. So, there may be other issues at play. I say that because the previous superintendent before her came from VA, I believe and left for the Cornwall SD after being there for not even a year.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-20-2022 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area