Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 03:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times

Advertisements

Rochester is the heart of the area, but its school system is one of the worst in the state -- and in the country.

In other areas of the country, county systems are used. Many towns and suburbs are part of ONE school system. Students do much better, costs are lower, and so taxes are lower.

If Rochester's city schools were better, that would affect, in a positive way, the entire area.

What do you think? Should there be a MONROE COUNTY school system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 05:54 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Rochester is the heart of the area, but its school system is one of the worst in the state -- and in the country.

In other areas of the country, county systems are used. Many towns and suburbs are part of ONE school system. Students do much better, costs are lower, and so taxes are lower.

If Rochester's city schools were better, that would affect, in a positive way, the entire area.

What do you think? Should there be a MONROE COUNTY school system?
In theory , yes, absolutely, but they don't seem interested in having a successful school system within the city

Old 05-31-2022, 06:08 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
There are multiple reasons for a county school district that includes likely lower school taxes, more educational opportunity for students, etc. However, as discussed in the buffalo forum, Rochester being the 3rd or 4th biggest school district in the state, is a Big 5 school district and in turn, the district is viewed as being a part of the city's budget, if I'm not mistaken. I also believe that there is a state constitution aspect that prevents Big 5 SD's from consolidating with other school districts. This article from a Rochester area group get into this: A consolidated county school district is not in the cards.

Within the RCSD, schools or programs such as the World of Inquiry(School 58), School of the Arts, East High, Rochester Early College International HS and the International Baccalaureate program at Wilson are actually high achieving or have improved greatly academically. Many families also go the charter: https://www.goodschoolsroc.org/ or private school route in the city.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:50 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
When I first moved from GA to New York State that was one of the first things I said, "What the heck is (insert town/village) central school district and why isn't it just (insert county) School District?"
In GA everything is at the county level. For example I graduated from Clayton County Public Schools. It seems like Monroe County (and the rest of NYS) could save so much money if they were to combine everything and create a Monroe County School District.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:13 PM

Yes, the OPPORTUNITY for savings exist, but first, there would be a lot of patronage jobs, getting the supers to give up their power.

Second, the budget will be huge, comparatively. Lot's of money provides too much opportunity for corruption.

We have way too much corruption in our government now. Let's work on that

Old 06-04-2022, 08:58 AM

^The issue with that is that you still have the layers behind the high school taxes even if all of the corruption* is removed. Meaning, that the current school district structure contributes to why school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes.

*Also, is there that much corruption in school districts in the county? I know what you appear to be referring to, but does that apply in terms of this specific topic?

Lastly, this could also occur in a way that is similar to the structure in some Kentucky counties where there is a city school district surrounded by a county school district. Of course, the issue is that the city SD in this case still doesn’t allow for more choice for city students outside of the Suburban/Urban program. For those that aren’t familiar with that program: https://www.monroe.edu/urbansuburban

Old 06-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^The issue with that is that you still have the layers behind the high school taxes even if all of the corruption* is removed. Meaning, that the current school district structure contributes to why school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes.
You always have a different way of thinking than me, so could you in your own words (no links) spell out the different structures to show the financial ramifications of a metro SD.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You always have a different way of thinking than me, so could you in your own words (no links) spell out the different structures to show the financial ramifications of a metro SD.

Thanks
What? They are just simple questions and other posters also mentioned the difference in structure between here and the countywide school district structure in states like GA and NC. So, this doesn’t have so much to do with a difference in thought, but addressing the “corruption” aspect that you mentioned and the fact as to why the school tax portion of property taxes are higher due to having so many school districts.

Lastly, you don’t get to dictate how someone can post.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What? They are just simple questions and other posters also mentioned the difference in structure between here and the countywide school district structure in states like GA and NC. So, this doesn’t have so much to do with a difference in thought, but addressing the “corruption” aspect that you mentioned and the fact as to why the school tax portion of property taxes are higher due to having so many school districts.

Lastly, you don’t get to dictate how someone can post.
I asked a simple question. Don't understand why you can't explain what you're saying in your posts

Old 06-04-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I asked a simple question. Don't understand why you can't explain what you're saying in your posts
I did and it was pretty straightforward, but you didn’t address the corruption claim in relation to the topic. That was all I asked. How does corruption come into play in regards to the formation of a countywide SD in Monroe County(or the current multiple SD structure)?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-04-2022 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area