Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 04:29 PM

224 posts, read 135,984 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Rochester area and we're so excited about it! We are on our way up now (driving from FL).

We found an awesome rental in Perinton for the summer. After that I anticipate we will do a year lease and continue to get to know the area more thoroughly before purchasing a home.

As soon as possible we'd like to get some appointments set up for the following, and would really appreciate your recommendations -

Veterinarian (Need someone really good and experienced. Our dog is getting to that "senior" stage when top notch vet care is extra important.)

Doctors (Would be great to find a general practitioner who is able to do GYN exams, also looking for dermatologist.)

Car mechanic and body shop (Kind of a specialized issue, we need to get the all-wheel drive fixed on our car, and also interested in having it repainted.)

Hairdresser (specifically looking for someone skilled at cutting, do not need color services). What salons are considered the best in the area?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 05:54 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
We are moving to the Rochester area and we're so excited about it! We are on our way up now (driving from FL).

We found an awesome rental in Perinton for the summer. After that I anticipate we will do a year lease and continue to get to know the area more thoroughly before purchasing a home.

As soon as possible we'd like to get some appointments set up for the following, and would really appreciate your recommendations -

Veterinarian (Need someone really good and experienced. Our dog is getting to that "senior" stage when top notch vet care is extra important.)

Doctors (Would be great to find a general practitioner who is able to do GYN exams, also looking for dermatologist.)

Car mechanic and body shop (Kind of a specialized issue, we need to get the all-wheel drive fixed on our car, and also interested in having it repainted.)

Hairdresser (specifically looking for someone skilled at cutting, do not need color services). What salons are considered the best in the area?

Thank you!
Sorry I can't help you. I live on the west side, but I wanted to welcome you to the area. You made a great choice. Perinton is a great town.

if you have general Rochester questions, not so localized, feel free to post here

Old 06-02-2022, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome! I figured it will be tricky to get such specific recommendations.

We do have some more general questions so I will make another post after we get through today's drive.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:04 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times
Quote:

Thank you!

Airport Transmission on W. Ridge Rd. on the west side of the city has a solid reputation.

I'm a firm believer that for certain services it's worth a drive/trip for the right business. Even if you settle on Perinton, don't be shy about sniffing out small businesses around Rochester which have been around a long time and have a great reputation.

If you land in Perinton, there are some perks to living there. The canal path is great for bike riding, walking, running, etc. Perinton Rec. Center is a community asset, I used it years ago when we lived in Fairport. Another plus with Perinton is it's close to the east and south sides of the city.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Airport Transmission on W. Ridge Rd. on the west side of the city has a solid reputation.

I'm a firm believer that for certain services it's worth a drive/trip for the right business. Even if you settle on Perinton, don't be shy about sniffing out small businesses around Rochester which have been around a long time and have a great reputation.

If you land in Perinton, there are some perks to living there. The canal path is great for bike riding, walking, running, etc. Perinton Rec. Center is a community asset, I used it years ago when we lived in Fairport. Another plus with Perinton is it's close to the east and south sides of the city.

100% agree it's worth a longer drive for a great business.

Our new landlord was telling us about all the fantastic areas for walking right nearby the house we're renting. I'm going to love it.

Had not heard about the Rec Center. Is this the one you're talking about? https://perinton.org/departments/ran...quatic-center/ It looks really nice!

Last edited by Heart NY; 06-03-2022 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 12:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
For Fairport/Perinton specific questions I would highly recommend joining a Facebook page/group for that specific area. Sure you have to weed through some of the nonsense but I've found community FB groups to be an EXTREMLY useful tool when it come to finding recommendations for localized services (i.e Docs, vets, mechanic, salon, etc). Good luck!

Old 06-04-2022, 01:38 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times
Quote:
100% agree it's worth a longer drive for a great business.

Our new landlord was telling us about all the fantastic areas for walking right nearby the house we're renting. I'm going to love it.

Had not heard about the Rec Center. Is this the one you're talking about? https://perinton.org/departments/ran...quatic-center/ It looks really nice!

Yes.

I enjoyed the rec center during Winter. They have a walking/running track above the basketball court in the gym. Usually it's not too busy during the daytime.

Also Fairport Electric is cheap. 20 years ago our electric bill never exceeded $26, 3 BR house.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:42 AM

Default Recommendations for clothing and shoe stores

Some time in the next couple weeks husband and I both want to go shopping for new clothes and shoes. The house we're renting is close to Eastview Mall, which looks very nice so I think we'll check that out. Also interested in smaller shops and boutiques. I see there are a good number of them in Rochester and also some in Pittsford. I'm curious to see what the styles and stores are like here!

Another thing I need to do is go to one of those shoe stores that analyzes your feet and then suggests the right sneakers / tennis shoes. I've done that for my last 2 pairs of sneakers and it worked out great. Time to replace my current pair so I looked up "shoe store with foot analysis" and I do see some options (some even do gait analysis too.)

Not sure if any would be in the stores this time of year but we both for sure will need to buy a variety of winter boots. I'm going to be on the lookout for something I can wear to go for walks - something super comfortable, warm and waterproof, with good treads / traction. I'm guessing Fall will be when I'll find the best selection in stores.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:35 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Some time in the next couple weeks husband and I both want to go shopping for new clothes and shoes. The house we're renting is close to Eastview Mall, which looks very nice so I think we'll check that out. Also interested in smaller shops and boutiques. I see there are a good number of them in Rochester and also some in Pittsford. I'm curious to see what the styles and stores are like here!

Another thing I need to do is go to one of those shoe stores that analyzes your feet and then suggests the right sneakers / tennis shoes. I've done that for my last 2 pairs of sneakers and it worked out great. Time to replace my current pair so I looked up "shoe store with foot analysis" and I do see some options (some even do gait analysis too.)

Not sure if any would be in the stores this time of year but we both for sure will need to buy a variety of winter boots. I'm going to be on the lookout for something I can wear to go for walks - something super comfortable, warm and waterproof, with good treads / traction. I'm guessing Fall will be when I'll find the best selection in stores.
Does this help?
https://www.goodfeet.com/locations/ny/rochester

I don't know how it was where you're from, but retailers tend to get ahead of themselves here. Also, there are a number of outdoors/ sporting goods stores that would stock that sort of thing year round. Check out the Dick's Sporting at Eastview Mall.

In addition to the places you mentioned for shopping, you may like Pittsford Plaza. Monroe ave, all the way to the city has interesting shops. Penfield Rd, corner of Rt250, also Panarama Trail area.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:03 PM

163 posts, read 101,850 times
For a vet call Mendon Village Animal Hospital and ask if Dr. Reichenstein is taking new clients.
For hair try Tru Salon in Pittsford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area