Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 06:29 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalideas View Post
It’s the long winters and lack of job opportunities.
You must be on the wrong board. Rochester winters mellowed down years ago, and jobs are plentiful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 04:39 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You must be on the wrong board. Rochester winters mellowed down years ago....
True. They're nothing like the winters in the late 50s-early 60s, that I remember from my childhood, shortly after my family moved here. I'm sure that anyone on this board, who is old enough to remember the "blizzard of '66" can tell you stories about that ordeal. I'll give you a hint.....schools, in this normally "prepared for winter" city, were closed for a week. The blizzard blew in on a Sunday evening, and didn't let up until around 3 FEET of snow had fallen.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:58 AM

224 posts, read 135,984 times
I was talking with my husband trying to pinpoint what it is about Rochester that makes it seem like such a classy city. Maybe it's the type of industry that has flourished here. Maybe it's the abundance of cultural and dining options - the amenities of a big city but the feel of a smaller city. A more controversial idea we came up with was maybe it's the lack of Big Sports in the immediate area.

Do you consider Rochester to be a particularly classy city? And if so, what is it about Rochester that makes you describe it as classy?

Old 07-09-2022, 12:43 PM

163 posts, read 101,850 times
Yes Rochester is classier than a lot of other cities! I think you're on to something that the lack of major pro sports keeps it classy. We have Buffalo for NFL and hockey and we have Syracuse for division I college sports, so we get to be fans but don't have to deal with the riff raff coming into our city for games.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
I was talking with my husband trying to pinpoint what it is about Rochester that makes it seem like such a classy city. Maybe it's the type of industry that has flourished here. Maybe it's the abundance of cultural and dining options - the amenities of a big city but the feel of a smaller city. A more controversial idea we came up with was maybe it's the lack of Big Sports in the immediate area.

Do you consider Rochester to be a particularly classy city? And if so, what is it about Rochester that makes you describe it as classy?
It's often been said that Rochester is better known internationally, than nationally. One big thing we do have is golf. We used to have an annual LPGA stop, but we still have the PGA at Oak Hill CC, occasionally, including next year. Finger Lakes Wine Region is World Class. Rochester Yacht Club sponsors lots of regatta's and charitable events. The Rochester Twilight Criterium Bicycle Race downtown every year. The Rochester International Jazz Fest . The Fringe Festival. Eastman School of Music. So there are big city amenities, just on a different level.

During Rochester's boom days, when the Erie canal openned up trade to the west, Rochester, not being near a coast, had to work extra hard to produce quality products. Shoes were a big export. Hickok Manufacturing was here, and I believe there still is a Hickok Belt?

Later, there was Kodak, and George Eastman wanted a world class city for his employees, and invested heavily in their health and well being, as well as their entertainment and leasure. Those institutions still exist. Xerox at the time also made major investments and went out of it's way to hire "more than it's fair share" of minorities.

At one point in the 60's and 70's Rochester had 5 Fortune 500 headquarters, and all the perks that come with that. So we've been lucky in that sense, but we've never gotten much financial support from our government. We currently have 1 Fortune 500 company headquartered here, and soon another will be joining those ranks.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:10 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
Yes Rochester is classier than a lot of other cities! I think you're on to something that the lack of major pro sports keeps it classy. We have Buffalo for NFL and hockey and we have Syracuse for division I college sports, so we get to be fans but don't have to deal with the riff raff coming into our city for games.
I also think that the city has more of a white collar look to it due to having more of a big corporate presence historically.

To be fair, Syracuse Football and even Men’s Basketball games aren’t too bad. There isn’t as much of a big tailgate culture like Bills games, with it being to cold during most of the Basketball season for people to get too crazy.

In terms of sports, Rochester is known for supporting its minor league teams and RIT Hockey(Division 1).

Old 07-22-2022, 09:54 AM

Mayor Evans declares gun violence emergency:
https://www.rochesterfirst.com/roche...-in-rochester/

The mayor has issued a “Proclamation of a Local State of Emergency” effective immediately, which gives him broader powers to “protect life and property and to bring the emergency under control.”

According to city charter documents, the order will be effective indefinitely. Evans will now have the power to regulate and close places of amusement and assembly, and prohibit and control the presence of persons on public streets and places.

The order will be revisited every five days starting Thursday, July 21. The mayor also mentioned that he can choose to shut down a particular street.

Here is the full proclamation:
https://www.cityofrochester.gov/uplo...20Violence.pdf

Old 07-22-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
Mayor Evans declares gun violence emergency:
https://www.rochesterfirst.com/roche...-in-rochester/

The mayor has issued a “Proclamation of a Local State of Emergency” effective immediately, which gives him broader powers to “protect life and property and to bring the emergency under control.”

According to city charter documents, the order will be effective indefinitely. Evans will now have the power to regulate and close places of amusement and assembly, and prohibit and control the presence of persons on public streets and places.

The order will be revisited every five days starting Thursday, July 21. The mayor also mentioned that he can choose to shut down a particular street.

Here is the full proclamation:
https://www.cityofrochester.gov/uplo...20Violence.pdf
It certainly is nice for a newcomer to be interested in our issues. I'm sorry you have to see the city problems laid wide open. I'm a positive minded person, but this proclamation won't do anything. The entire narrative needs to change from the city leaders to the media. It's all negative and full of greed. In my opinion, many were spoiled during the boom years of the "big 3" in Rochester. All the do gooders are constantly crying for more.

That's probably why we've never become a boom town. The minute there is a success, the hat comes out. As a whole, we have always been a benevolent community, actually to the point of creating dependency.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
It certainly is nice for a newcomer to be interested in our issues. I'm sorry you have to see the city problems laid wide open. I'm a positive minded person, but this proclamation won't do anything. The entire narrative needs to change from the city leaders to the media. It's all negative and full of greed. In my opinion, many were spoiled during the boom years of the "big 3" in Rochester. All the do gooders are constantly crying for more.

That's probably why we've never become a boom town. The minute there is a success, the hat comes out. As a whole, we have always been a benevolent community, actually to the point of creating dependency.
I have really fallen in love with Rochester and it does make me sad when I see negative news about the city. I'll be interested to see if / how the mayor uses these emergency powers to prevent shootings and homicides. Maybe he has a specific plan in mind and needs the emergency powers in order to implement it?

Old 07-25-2022, 09:13 AM

Do you agree with this color coded map of Rochester showing safety and desirability of the different neighborhoods within the city?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...674095605&z=12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area