Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 12:26 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
Do you agree with this color coded map of Rochester showing safety and desirability of the different neighborhoods within the city?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...674095605&z=12
It's fairly accurate going by just the colors. When you click the neighborhoods, it's not all accurate or even up to date.

Most of the green neighborhoods are also improving. I can't really say that about the red neighborhoods, despite millions in taxpayer investment. Hopefully they're not getting worse.

As always, happy to answer any specific house, street, or neighborhood questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 12:57 PM

224 posts, read 135,984 times
How would you compare the Corn Hill neighborhood vs the Park Ave / East Ave area?

Old 07-25-2022, 03:25 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
How would you compare the Corn Hill neighborhood vs the Park Ave / East Ave area?
I like the architecture in all those areas, but especially Corn Hill. There is some retail and restarants, but it doesn't really blend the neighborhood together. Also, I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard crime is a little high due to the adjacent neighborhood. Plus, those are really old houses, and expensive to maintain.

I would more likely look into Park- East.

Many homes in both those areas are multi family. It could be an oportunity to subsidize your mortgage if you are in to that

Old 07-25-2022, 09:02 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Park Ave. offers a very walkable neighborhood with stores, restaurants, nightlife, etc., with the old money East Ave. neighborhood adjacent to it to the east.

Corn Hill does have historical architecture due to being one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city and for decades home to a self contained African American community. You could walk into downtown via Exchange Boulevard under I-490 or South Plymouth Ave. over I-490. That last part makes Park/East Aves a bit more appealing due to not having to deal with crossing over a highway on foot to get into Downtown.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:20 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Park Ave. offers a very walkable neighborhood with stores, restaurants, nightlife, etc., with the old money East Ave. neighborhood adjacent to it to the east.

Corn Hill does have historical architecture due to being one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city and for decades home to a self contained African American community. You could walk into downtown via Exchange Boulevard under I-490 or South Plymouth Ave. over I-490. That last part makes Park/East Aves a bit more appealing due to not having to deal with crossing over a highway on foot to get into Downtown.
While I understand what you're saying, I'll counter with the thought that it's too bad there isn't really a "downtown" to get into.....at least a downtown that resembles what it once was, like in the late 50s-late 60s. The downtown area, in Rochester, was really something, in that time period, similar to a small New York City atmosphere, a place I enjoyed being in. Today, it's a place that I avoid.....

Old 07-26-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

So ckhthankgod, you have used this term "old money" a couple times describing certain parts of Rochester. I am intrigued by the whole concept of old money, I think because I've mainly lived in "new money" locations (CA, HI, FL).

When you say the East Ave neighborhood is old money - how does that designation apply today? Are "old money" people still living in this area? I'm interested in any additional thoughts about the implications of moving into an old money part of the city.

We are loving the entire Rochester area, really the entire Finger Lakes region. But there are certain streets in the city of Rochester that are so wondrous I find I have a physical / emotional response. It may not be possible or practical for us to own one of the stately old mansions, but it would be pretty cool to live in a townhouse or condo in the area and be able to take our walks on those awe-inspiring streets.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
While I understand what you're saying, I'll counter with the thought that it's too bad there isn't really a "downtown" to get into.....at least a downtown that resembles what it once was, like in the late 50s-late 60s. The downtown area, in Rochester, was really something, in that time period, similar to a small New York City atmosphere, a place I enjoyed being in. Today, it's a place that I avoid.....
Can you expand on why you avoid downtown now?

Old 07-26-2022, 09:43 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Can you expand on why you avoid downtown now?
One of the major reasons is that all of the "high end" stores that downtown Rochester had, left the area 15-20 years ago. Secondly, while there are still some "upscale" restaurants within the city, I, personally feel that patronizing them to be risky.

For instance, my wife and I were joined by another couple, one Saturday evening, to have dinner at the venue located in Eastman Place. While Scott and I were fiddling with getting a parking ticket from the automated vending machine, our wives were hassled by a couple of pimps, who apparently weren't used to seeing women "dressed up", in Rochester, even on a Saturday night. We're "old timers", in our belief that if you're going to a nice restaurant, you dress appropriately.

One other time, we, again going out with Scott and his wife, went to dinner at the now defunct 'Triphammer Grill'. After dinner, while leaving the restaurant's building, my wife's purse was almost stolen, by one of two guys who were racing up and down the sidewalk, on bicycles, hoping to catch women off guard.

And while we still occasionally patronize a long-time favorite restaurant of ours, on Park Avenue, we do it with caution. While the Park Avenue scene draws an eclectic collection of characters, there seems to be a growing number of shady looking characters, especially in front of the 7-11 store that is located in the "strip plaza". The bulk of the limited parking in that area, is in the parking lot that's adjacent to that plaza, therefore, to reach the restaurants, you have to walk past the 7-11.

Just my observations, and experiences...............

Old 07-26-2022, 10:03 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
So ckhthankgod, you have used this term "old money" a couple times describing certain parts of Rochester. I am intrigued by the whole concept of old money, I think because I've mainly lived in "new money" locations (CA, HI, FL).

When you say the East Ave neighborhood is old money - how does that designation apply today? Are "old money" people still living in this area? I'm interested in any additional thoughts about the implications of moving into an old money part of the city.

We are loving the entire Rochester area, really the entire Finger Lakes region. But there are certain streets in the city of Rochester that are so wondrous I find I have a physical / emotional response. It may not be possible or practical for us to own one of the stately old mansions, but it would be pretty cool to live in a townhouse or condo in the area and be able to take our walks on those awe-inspiring streets.
Yes, there are still families that live in the East Avenue area in the many mansions/huge homes in that area of the city. Browncroft is another area of the city north of East Avenue that also has a similar feel. The same applies to Cobbs Hill south of East Ave. and to a lesser degree, Highland Park also in the SE Quadrant and even parts of Maplewood in the NW Quadrant come to mind as well. Brighton also has such areas. I'm probably missing some neighborhoods within and outside of the city that has that feel to some degree.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
One of the major reasons is that all of the "high end" stores that downtown Rochester had, left the area 15-20 years ago. Secondly, while there are still some "upscale" restaurants within the city, I, personally feel that patronizing them to be risky.

For instance, my wife and I were joined by another couple, one Saturday evening, to have dinner at the venue located in Eastman Place. While Scott and I were fiddling with getting a parking ticket from the automated vending machine, our wives were hassled by a couple of pimps, who apparently weren't used to seeing women "dressed up", in Rochester, even on a Saturday night. We're "old timers", in our belief that if you're going to a nice restaurant, you dress appropriately.

One other time, we, again going out with Scott and his wife, went to dinner at the now defunct 'Triphammer Grill'. After dinner, while leaving the restaurant's building, my wife's purse was almost stolen, by one of two guys who were racing up and down the sidewalk, on bicycles, hoping to catch women off guard.

And while we still occasionally patronize a long-time favorite restaurant of ours, on Park Avenue, we do it with caution. While the Park Avenue scene draws an eclectic collection of characters, there seems to be a growing number of shady looking characters, especially in front of the 7-11 store that is located in the "strip plaza". The bulk of the limited parking in that area, is in the parking lot that's adjacent to that plaza, therefore, to reach the restaurants, you have to walk past the 7-11.

Just my observations, and experiences...............
Thank you so much for your response. The stuff you describe is concerning and upsetting to me. I really don't want that kind of nonsense in my life. Not so much because I'm scared of criminals and shady characters, but more because I'm scared of how I might react in certain scenarios. Just reading about what happened to your wife got my adrenaline going, and let's just say on the fight-or-flight spectrum I am over on the fight end... When bad people act up for attention I am very good at ignoring them (giving them the opposite of what they want) but when bad people attempt to violate me for their own gain or pleasure and target me because they perceive a petite woman as weak - I have it in me to get ferocious. It's best not to put myself in situations that are likely to result in me getting ferocious.

Are there parts of the city you do enjoy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area