Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 08:23 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times

Advertisements

Rochester voted second friendliest in the US by Conde Nast Magazine

https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/...8DuLAc3ECc40z0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 01:54 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Yes and no. Personally I feel like there’s an underbelly to that, but as a visitor I agree that people are more friendly than I expected for a northeastern state (even if it is a bit more Midwest here). I’ve had both some of the finest and some of the worst service here. I wouldn’t suggest that it’s rude here, but I do t think it belongs on a “most friendly” list, either.

Old 12-20-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yes and no. Personally I feel like there’s an underbelly to that, but as a visitor I agree that people are more friendly than I expected for a northeastern state (even if it is a bit more Midwest here). I’ve had both some of the finest and some of the worst service here. I wouldn’t suggest that it’s rude here, but I do t think it belongs on a “most friendly” list, either.
To be honest, they should list the criteria here. Is it people asking direction s on a street corner, or neighbors, or whatever.

Old 12-23-2023, 06:15 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
To be honest, they should list the criteria here. Is it people asking directions on a street corner, or neighbors, or whatever.
Good point!

As a side note, my father transferred jobs, a couple of times, when I was pretty young, and we wound up arriving in the Rochester area, in the late 1950s. Prior to that, we lived in a small town outside of Lancaster, PA. The woman who owned the house that my family was renting, in PA, was questioning our move to Rochester. She claimed that she had heard that it wasn't all that friendly here. Where she had gotten that information, however, was unknown to us.

Old 12-23-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Good point!

As a side note, my father transferred jobs, a couple of times, when I was pretty young, and we wound up arriving in the Rochester area, in the late 1950s. Prior to that, we lived in a small town outside of Lancaster, PA. The woman who owned the house that my family was renting, in PA, was questioning our move to Rochester. She claimed that she had heard that it wasn't all that friendly here. Where she had gotten that information, however, was unknown to us.
Have you ever heard of this book? Maybe she was basing her views on this.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...smugtown-u-s-a

Old 12-23-2023, 08:10 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Good point!

I think people just see NY and think of the stereotype of NYC being something that is statewide. When I was going to school in MI and I would tell people where I was from, they assume that it was like NYC. So, that is likely what she was thinking in terms of Rochester.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think people just see NY and think of the stereotype of NYC being something that is statewide. When I was going to school in MI and I would tell people where I was from, they assume that it was like NYC. So, that is likely what she was thinking in terms of Rochester.
I hear what you're saying, but someone from Lancaster would know that Rochester wasn't part of NYC. If anything, in the 50's, maybe Buffalo, when it was larger, and Rochester was smaller. Most likely the landlady was trying to scare them into staying, and keeping the rent coming in.

Old 12-23-2023, 11:14 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but someone from Lancaster would know that Rochester wasn't part of NYC. If anything, in the 50's, maybe Buffalo, when it was larger, and Rochester was smaller. Most likely the landlady was trying to scare them into staying, and keeping the rent coming in.
Gentlemen, I understand what both of you are getting at, but just for the sake of clarity, keep in mind that I'm referring to Lancaster PA, not too far from Philidelphia, not Lancaster, NY. (and IIRC, in PA, they pronounced it LANK a ster)

I highly doubt that the property owner was obsessing over the rent money, as the husband and wife who owned the property were quite "well off". They just happened to like us, as did their elderly mother, who lived on the second floor of this somewhat "rambling" house, and were, for that reason, hoping we'd stay.

Every once in a while, when I have some idle time, and when I'm daydreaming, I sometimes wonder where I'd be today, had my family not left that small PA town....or for that matter, my actual hometown in central NJ.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Gentlemen, I understand what both of you are getting at, but just for the sake of clarity, keep in mind that I'm referring to Lancaster PA, not too far from Philidelphia, not Lancaster, NY. (and IIRC, in PA, they pronounced it LANK a ster)

I highly doubt that the property owner was obsessing over the rent money, as the husband and wife who owned the property were quite "well off". They just happened to like us, as did their elderly mother, who lived on the second floor of this somewhat "rambling" house, and were, for that reason, hoping we'd stay.

Every once in a while, when I have some idle time, and when I'm daydreaming, I sometimes wonder where I'd be today, had my family not left that small PA town....or for that matter, my actual hometown in central NJ.
No, I understood PA.

They sounded like an "accidental landlord." Do you know if she rented the space after you left?

Old 12-24-2023, 08:23 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
No, I understood PA.

They sounded like an "accidental landlord." Do you know if she rented the space after you left?
Same, as I was thinking of her thoughts being similar to those by other people I’ve met from outside of the state, that aren’t familiar with other parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: