Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:10 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of what you are talking about in reference to Rochester happened in Syracuse too. Look up the 15th Ward as an example. Niagara Mohawk and some other companies had to be pressured by organizations to hire Blacks too. If you look up the 15th Ward, you will also see how I-81 and urban renewal pretty much destroyed that neighborhood. Sad, but true......
This basically happened all over the north during that time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I have listened to a number of talk shows on government consolidation that has gone on in other areas. Minneapolis/Indiana was one of the areas that was able to turn itself around and now has growth. There is a village close to Buffalo called Townline, the village is less than five square miles, do we really need a town of this size, with a government all its own? And Rochester with the suburbs, many parts of the suburbs look just like the city and even share the same utilities. What would be wrong with consolidating the suburbs into neighborhoods of the city? There are too many small governments and self run services.

Um, I think you may be talking about >Indianapolis<, Indiana. I know they consolodated their city and county several years ago. Here in the Twin Cities, Mpls is still a separate entity, as is St. Paul and dozens of incorporated suburbs, some as small as .5 square mile. Nevertheless, the Twin Cities has managed to gain substantial growth over the past several decades. (BTW, did you know that Minneapolis took over Rochester's moniker "Flour City" over 100 years ago, relegating Roch. to be the "Flower City". Today, the remnants of Minneapolis's flour mills stand idle, as preserved historical sites.)

Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Um, I think you may be talking about >Indianapolis<, Indiana. I know they consolodated their city and county several years ago. Here in the Twin Cities, Mpls is still a separate entity, as is St. Paul and dozens of incorporated suburbs, some as small as .5 square mile. Nevertheless, the Twin Cities has managed to gain substantial growth over the past several decades. (BTW, did you know that Minneapolis took over Rochester's moniker "Flour City" over 100 years ago, relegating Roch. to be the "Flower City". Today, the remnants of Minneapolis's flour mills stand idle, as preserved historical sites.)
oops, yes I did mean Indianapolis was. I probably typed it into google for the correct spelling and got the wrong result. Thanks for the correction!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM

259 posts, read 455,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
oops, yes I did mean Indianapolis was. I probably typed it into google for the correct spelling and got the wrong result. Thanks for the correction!

I know two major Rochester real estate families who have pretty much divested themselves of their Rochester area assets and one of the places they have moved their $$$ is Indianapolis.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Theater group gives up on RenSquare, to look elsewhere | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

This is what gets me fired up. Too many people in the cookie jar. Too much politics, its one building project! This is no different than what goes on in Albany, this is just one reason why the government needs to shrink.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:45 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Good that they stood up to the theater group. Brighton said they'd be interested in having the theater. Who would fund that?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM

It sounds great to have a theater. But Buffalo and Syracuse already have a performing arts center. I know Geva is profitable, but with both of them running would they both make money? And Geva is not cheap either, can run you $100 for two tickets, and then you know your wife is going to want to go to dinner.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:03 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
This basically happened all over the north during that time period.
If not major cities across the country. Pittsburgh's Hill section is another example of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area