Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
I think you should remember that when someone discusses "Rochester", they are usually referring to more than the immediate inner city. The Rochester AREA encompasses a large suburban population. There are huge areas comprised almost entirely of suburbia that are safe, and living in these places is completely different than living downtown. These areas may be directly adjacent to the city (or a few miles away), but they certainly don't share the inner city's crime statistics. Examples of such suburbs, well known for their safe neighborhoods and great schools are : Brighton, Penfield, Pittsford, Webster (and I apologize as I know I'm not mentioning many others - these are the ones I am familiar with).

And, of course I am not ignorant of the fact that some areas of Rochester have crime etc. (as I have lived in a city before I know that ALL cities have bad areas) I do feel that it will not directly impact my life as I personally don't plan to go and walk alone at night in any unfamiliar neighborhood, or cruise around like some ignorant fool, head in the clouds while in a rougher area.

I am just so exhausted of all the people who "fear the city" - this applies to any major urban area. People have some unreasonable (crazy!!) fear that they will get out of their cars and be shot on the street as soon as they enter "THE CITY" (GASP!) and I don't believe that promoting this sort of mentality is helping anyone. Common sense rules wherever you go, no matter who you are, and there are perfectly safe ways to enjoy a city as well as its outer communities.
I hate to quote myself, but I didn't feel like typing out the same old thing again, not to mention that I think we've already dealt with the "Rochester is a "crime-ridden city" issue... and we moved on to more interesting, positive, and hopefully informative topics. We are (well, most of us) adults here who no doubt realize that there are negatives to inner city life... but on this particular thread we chose to highlight the POSITIVES of living in the large Rochester metropolitan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,734 times
Yes there are some inner city areas in Rochester that have crime problems ... but show me a large city without them. Was in Atlanta recently driving around, and got into an area just outside of downtown that was downright scary in the middle of the day -- plus, unlike Rochester, I did not drive out of the area in a short time.

There are some really great areas in the city of Rochester, and as with every other city, some areas that have a bad crime problem -- These are generally isolated and easy to avoid.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 15,032 times
It seems as though those of us who have seen the other side of the fence where the greener grass was supposed to be , now realize that the grass is the same color no matter where you are. I can't wait for the festivals! Lilac Fest is this w/e, starts Thursday, the sun came out and it was warm today , the lilacs are going to be wonderful! Oh and the Artisians!! I can't wait! Then, Kitty, in Naples in the fall, you must go to the Grape festival and get a Grape PIE!!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM

63 posts, read 223,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
You are probally writing it in the wrong place. Rochester is not "a crime filled city". The violent crime is generally isolated to a handfull of areas. Like in most other cities. As has been said about a million times on this forum. Every city has abandoned houses. Every city has homeless. If you have bothered to read the local paper, you would see that several companies have actually added jobs. I know of several people moving back into the area because of opportunities. Yea,Main street is dead. Walk down Park Ave. Walk down East Ave. Walk down South Ave. There is plenty of life. In your 23 years in Rochester perhaps you should have ventured outside of the rock you were living under.
I think you should take your own advice and read the local paper that would be the Democrat and Chronicle, and get past the front page.There are three young people that are involved in murders including 3 young men from Rochester that killed a guy in Buffalo.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 05:05 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmama11961 View Post
I think you should take your own advice and read the local paper that would be the Democrat and Chronicle, and get past the front page.
I do read the D&C and I did see the story about the killers from Rochester killing the person in Buffalo. And what does that prove? That Rochester has murderers? Every city has murderers.
Yes we know there has been a small population loss. There was a loss from 2005 to 2006 and if you have been keeping up with the news you would see that several companies have added jobs and other have plans to add even more jobs. The decline happened over the course of several years. Do you think that everything will magically fix itself overnight? No, it takes time and over the past year, things have started to pick up.
I agree there are good suburbs, and no they are not for a select few. I'm your average everyday joe and I live in the burbs. They are for everybody, as are the many good areas of the city.
People do need to know the whole truth and others on this website have presented it well. When the topic of this city comes up, the good and bad are mentioned. People mention that there have been past economic troubles. People mention the undesirable weather. What you stated earlier is a one sided, partly untrue and negative.
I feel sorry that the only thing you will miss is the lilac festival. There is so much more this area has to offer and its a shame that you can't see that.

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,563 times
BUT - we ARE saying that we DO know the whole truth... Over and over again. IN THIS THREAD WE ARE CHOOSING TO FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE. What's wrong with that? Perhaps someone should start a "Negatives" thread, and post there with all this stuff. I'm afraid I can't help the fact that I happen to be part of what is, admittedly, a lucky and more privileged group of people that are able to live in one of the good areas - and I don't see why I can't make the best of that and find out what there is in my area to enjoy. That's it! That's why I posted! Thank you to those who have given great ideas and suggestions.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 PM

131 posts, read 742,085 times
What Kitty said!!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
There is an unforunate truth you have to understand Kitty....while the majority of Rochesterians are perfectly happy living in the area and realize that there are many possitive things abou the area...there always have been and always be the negative gloomers. They are going to have a negative spin on EVERYTHING that happens in Rochester no matter what. It's just the facts of life.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
There is an unforunate truth you have to understand Kitty....while the majority of Rochesterians are perfectly happy living in the area and realize that there are many possitive things abou the area...there always have been and always be the negative gloomers. They are going to have a negative spin on EVERYTHING that happens in Rochester no matter what. It's just the facts of life.
The Syracuse area has plenty of those type people too....

Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post

As with anyplace, I believe people have a tendency to proclaim the worst attributes about an area more to convince themselves than anything else and Rochester certainly takes it's shares of hits from both present and past residents....but the odd thing is, I know people who have moved back from Florida, S.C. and Phoenix: all supposed utopias of sorts and although we shake our heads at their conscious decision, the one common denominator for their return trip is Rochester is unique in so many ways that it often draws it's former residents back like a siren ....Go figure. We ourselves have plans of moving to VA someday but then again, maybe someday will always be the greater Rochester area........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area