Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 05:41 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

A specialty distillery that produces hard ciders from your own orchard (and neighbors) or a meadery with honey from your own bees.

Some examples:

https://www.silverhandmeadery.com/

https://www.fenceline.co/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 08:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm a nearly-middle-aged suburban guy with a boring office job. (Not that I'm complaining.) I'm happy to be employed, but the idea of living on and operating a small farm really appeals to me. I love working outdoors, enjoy physical labor, am not averse to getting very dirty, and I don't run screaming like a little girl at the sight of blood or animal poo.

What's the most profitable type of farming? I've heard that organic farming (veggies and/or meat) makes a good living. (An example would be Polyface Farms in Virginia, profiled in Food Inc.). I also like the idea of a vineyard. (Go ahead, roll your eyes. I know it sounds kinda ridiculous. Especially for a guy whose favorite wine is Three Buck Chuck.) I like the idea of being outside a lot, working really hard for a few hours, then not at all. And not having a boss sounds pretty good too!

Is this a viable idea? And how would one go about it, other than the obvious steps of buying land and equipment/animals? Register with USDA?

It's funny: My 92-year-old godfather couldn't wait to get away from the farm in Alvarado, Texas when he was a boy. Now here I am dreaming of that life wistfully.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
Love your dream, my grandparents were farmers. Even in his seventies and eighties my grandpa climbed on the tractor or worked in the garden. It’s a good way to stay fit.

A nest egg saved for starting a new business is a good idea. I follow a couple of DIY farmers on YouTube. Justin Rhodes is one, or Stoney Ridge Farmer, those guys work very hard. In looking at houses for sale, a couple of them have come with small vineyards. Very nice, although it would require someone knowledge to show you the business and how to succeed. Friends and relatives have asked why I don’t grow pot. I have quite a green thumb, and would probably be successful, although I don’t smoke. In states where this is legal, it’s probably lucrative. In addition to pot, hemp products are everywhere, they’re all over Amazon and TV, and the demand will keep growing. The thing about a crop like pot, is installing high fencing, getting guard dogs, a good alarm system and who knows what kind of red tape from the government. Lots of stress there.

Mushrooms are a thought, they seem easy although people say it’s a stinky business. Raising animals for food or wool might suit you, although anything to come on this farm immediately becomes a pet. I remember seeing a lavender farm for sale in Oregon years ago and thought how cool is that. The thing is, a state like Oregon is not really business friendly, so you want to make sure the state you live in has tax breaks and incentives for farmers.

Just remember if you decide on something like cows, it’s hard and dirty work. I like the vet TV show Dr. Pol, but those farmers often lose calves and stock they can’t afford to. Again, if you have money to put in it, give it a year or two and see how it goes. The beekeeping might have a lower overhead and they definitely eat less than cows. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Taz22; 03-13-2021 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living