Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Look into Northern Minnesota. Close to big cities: Duluth, St. Paul and Fargo (nice day trip cities)
Lakes Literally Everywhere!
Bemidji has a awesome nightclub called Jammers Nightclub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Might want to look to a jb avialblity in this econmy. States and feral governamnt are not goig to be addig alot of jobs. If you move he likely would be at the bottom agin as far as layoffs.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 15,336 times
I know everyone picks on NJ, but it has so much to offer. First you are not far from New York and Philadelphia if you want diversity you will definitely find it there..I live in South Jersey on three acres surrounded by horse farms. It's very quiet. Ocean City is only 15 minutes away. Atlantic City 25 minutes away. Wild wood and Cape May are about 45 minutes away..Philly is a 45 minute drive. NY is 2 hours..The beaches are great...The boardwalks are a kids paradise..The food here is well like no other....There is a lot of history in philly they have great Museums. I just got back from NY last week we went to a concert and to Little Italy, yummy .. I will be back there over the Christmas holiday to go to Rockefeller Center. I must say there's no place like NY, but way to expensive to live there..My brother in law works at bay side state prison as a Sargent, he makes pretty good money. Schools in NJ rate #4 out of the USA. Great collages nearby..I have the best of both worlds I live in the country, but very close to the city if i'am in the mood for it..Good luck finding a new home..

Jersey Girl..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Western Kentucky. I'm in Cadiz, about 20 miles from the Kentucky State Peniteniary at Eddyville. A neighbor where my wife used to live works there and drives it every day. For cities for shopping and going out, Hopkinsville is 18 miles away, Nashville, Tn. is about an hour away on I-24. For nightlife, there are several places in Clarksville, Tn., also down I-24 and around Ft. Campbell which is 25-30 miles from here. We are 10-15 miles from Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley and the 170,000 acre Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. (Land Between The Lakes). Lots of camping, fishing, sightseeing, swimming, biking, hiking,........ Trigg County schools have received high ratings in their testing. Don't have any youngsters or "grandyoungsters" in the schools here. Last year our grandson and granddaughter went there and had no problems. Had transferred here from S.C. (Dad's in the Army and was stationed @ Ft. Campbell). Their grades improved big time here over the S.C. schools. I have lived all my life (so far) in small towns and in western Kentucky. Nothing but a lot of friendly people around here.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4NewHome4Family View Post
We'd like to find a new place to call home. I'd like to have the convenience of a nearby city without actually being IN the city.
My husband is a corrections officer so we would like for him to continue that line of work.
Good schools, and affordable homes. Prison guards aren't rolling in green!
I grew up near the beach, and I miss it but a big lake would do. Just so long as I can not see to the other side. lol
Occassionally, we like to go out, so a cool nightlife is a plus.Culture, History, Diversity, are all things my current town lacks.
Am I dreaming or is there such a place for us?
Huntersville, NC. (more of a suburb than a small town, but there are lots of towns/suburbs all around).

Near Charlotte, NC, and Lake Norman, one of the largest lakes in the SE.

Four hours to Myrtle Beach, SC.

Or, try Charleston, SC and you could actually live close to the beach and have a city full of "culture, history, and diversity".

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Cal, while step daughter and family lived near Camden, SC we took a few vacations to Myrtle Beach. We stayed in North Myrtle. Nice town and not near as crowded in town or on the beach. Condos were cheaper too!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 AM

26 posts, read 181,105 times
Quote:
My husband is a corrections officer so we would like for him to continue that line of work.
Find another job. The states are already starting to downsize their prison systems due to the economy, and it'll only get worse (for the government, at least) when Fedgov eventually admits defeat in the drug war.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncocktail View Post
I know everyone picks on NJ, but it has so much to offer. First you are not far from New York and Philadelphia if you want diversity you will definitely find it there..I live in South Jersey on three acres surrounded by horse farms. It's very quiet. Ocean City is only 15 minutes away. Atlantic City 25 minutes away. Wild wood and Cape May are about 45 minutes away..Philly is a 45 minute drive. NY is 2 hours..The beaches are great...The boardwalks are a kids paradise..The food here is well like no other....There is a lot of history in philly they have great Museums. I just got back from NY last week we went to a concert and to Little Italy, yummy .. I will be back there over the Christmas holiday to go to Rockefeller Center. I must say there's no place like NY, but way to expensive to live there..My brother in law works at bay side state prison as a Sargent, he makes pretty good money. Schools in NJ rate #4 out of the USA. Great collages nearby..I have the best of both worlds I live in the country, but very close to the city if i'am in the mood for it..Good luck finding a new home..

Jersey Girl..
THANK YOU!
I'm a big fan of New Jersey and i hate how people make it seem like a crappy state. The only crappy areas i can think of are around the Newark Airport but the rest of the state is Beautiful!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
I'd like to have the convenience of a nearby city without actually being IN the city. Look at Oahu Hawaii. There are many suburban and rural areas on the island, but Honolulu and other large towns are all close by.

My husband is a corrections officer so we would like for him to continue that line of work. This may be a bit of a holdback since Hawaii does contract with private prisons to house prisioners on the mainland, However, due to the horrible results of a study, a push is on to bring these prisioners back to Hawaii and build new prisons in the state.

Good schools, Most are not good, but there are many good public schools. Private schools are generally much better, but it all depends on where you live.

and affordable homes. O.K., that kills the deal. of course "affordable" can mean many things.

I grew up near the beach, and I miss it but a big lake would do. Just so long as I can not see to the other side. lol Beaches, water, openess, you got them all!

Occassionally, we like to go out, so a cool nightlife is a plus. That's Honolulu and Waikiki, and there are many other venues scattered all across the island.

Culture, Does Hawaii ever have culture. Not only local, but all pacific island areas are well represented along with Portugesse, French, Every Asian country, Oceania, you name it , it's the melting pot of the Pacific.

History, Lots and lots of hostory, not all a good reflection on America, but it has history galore.

Diversity, This is where Hawaii excells. Diversity, acceptance, understanding, and a whole bunch of "who cares about that" makes Hawaii probably the most accepting place of different cultures, people, races, ethnicities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and economic status.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,827 times
Quote:
My husband and I moved out here to Farmington, MO about 5 years ago and we feel suffocated. The pay stinks, there are no fun things to do for the kids, and the schools are horrible!
We'd like to find a new place to call home. I'd like to have the convenience of a nearby city without actually being IN the city.
Good schools, and affordable homes. Prison guards aren't rolling in green!
I grew up near the beach, and I miss it but a big lake would do. Just so long as I can not see to the other side. lol
Occassionally, we like to go out, so a cool nightlife is a plus.Culture, History, Diversity, are all things my current town lacks.
Am I dreaming or is there such a place for us?
I hear there are thousands of such places up and down the coast of California. The state of California is said to be sort of a utopia where the pay is great, taxes are fair, education is top-notch and diversity reigns. Homes are quite affordable, I think I read someplace. The crime is so low, though, there may not be enough work for your husband. Plenty of night life apparently. Some peole only come out after dark, I've been told. Never been there, but I think you'll like it. California is the anti-Missouri, I'm told. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living