Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:58 PM

68 posts, read 331,541 times

Advertisements

Im in search of the best winter towns that get a lot of snow and are within commuting distance to a major city/town for employement. At least 100 inches of snow a year and preferably large snow amounts in December. My favorite town through pictures is Breckenridge Colorado despite the commute to Denver... Anything similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM

68 posts, read 331,541 times
also... family oriented and friendly... currently in NJ and people are horrible here! LOL

Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM

518 posts, read 2,533,904 times
erie, pa gets a ton of snow and is a city of about 100,000 people. Buffalo, New York also gets lots and lots of snow. Pretty much any city in upstate new york would also get lots of snow

Old 01-07-2009, 01:44 PM

19 posts, read 44,432 times
anywhere in VT , NH and ME would get absurd amounts of snow for many long winter months out of the year

Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,212,494 times
remember, ---"within comuting distance" can be two different mileages between summer and winter.

A daily comute that is considered ideal ( mileage wise) in summer might wear on your nerves in an area that gets more than 100 inches of snow.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,946,555 times
Chardon, Ohio gets a ton of snow (usually over 100 inches a year) and is located in the snow belt area of Northeast Ohio. According to google maps, Chardon is about 30 miles to downtown Cleveland. If you found a job on the east side it would be a much shorter commute.
City of Chardon, Ohio
Chardon, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Geauga County Maple Festival

Erie and Buffalo would also be worth looking into.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM

37,501 posts, read 61,499,915 times
We are in central Maine.

We generally get 4 to 6 inches of snow then most of it melts before the next storm blows through.

We just got 3 inches last night.

Last year we got one 'big' dump of 14 inches in April. All the rest of the winter were dustings.

The Northern extreme region of Maine does get an average of 100+ inches each year.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,521,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We are in central Maine.

We generally get 4 to 6 inches of snow then most of it melts before the next storm blows through.

We just got 3 inches last night.

Last year we got one 'big' dump of 14 inches in April. All the rest of the winter were dustings.

The Northern extreme region of Maine does get an average of 100+ inches each year.
I would say that is a bit misleading. In the past few years we have not had a lot of snow, but in years past we have had a lot. A lot of people contribute it to global warming but that is not exactly true. In 1980-1984 we had bare ground all winter, and yet in 1990-193 we had snow 5-6 feet deep and this is in central Maine. Last year Caribou had 197½ inches of snow...the most in history.

We get snow, but typically it arrives in January and February. The original poster asked for lots of snow in December...that is certainly not Maine. As a die hard snowmobiler, I consider any riding in December as a bonus.

The real question to help the OP is to ask a few questions...what is exactly that you do in December that you want a lot of snow? If its down hill skiing, our slopes have steep terrain and are open in November from the snow making. Natural snow...no. Man-made snow...they have plenty of. But if they snowmobile, well they are out of luck because not many snowmobile clubs can afford to run snow guns!

My wife snapped this picture in 2004.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM

84 posts, read 406,025 times
Why snow? Ski, snow board, snow machine, cross country ski? Know of some places in Michigan that get a huge amount of snow including Houghton that gets around 300 inches a year. Grand Rapids, Holland and Muskegon area gets lots of snow as does the Traverse City area. Some skiing, but it can't compare to the rockies.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM

37,501 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I would say that is a bit misleading. In the past few years we have not had a lot of snow, but in years past we have had a lot.
You can say that.

In my personal experience 2 years had less snow than required using a snow shovel and one year had snow.

However in full complete disclosure, they do say that in the 90's was a big ice storm.

One winter in the 80s had lots of snow.

And one winter in the 1930s it got cold.

I can not say from experience though since as I said I have only lived here for three years. And in three years we have gotten very little snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living