Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,411,827 times

Advertisements

Had a Bald Eagle fly over the house a couple weeks ago. I called my 40# dog in to stand by my side at the house. Large birds of prey aren't particular about their source of meat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,390,758 times
We had a couple of beautiful barn owls living in the farm house and one in the barn when we bought this place five years ago. The place had been a bank repo and had not been occupied in several years so it was a wildlife haven. The owl in the house had been coming in through a roof turbine that had blown off and, if you've never seen a large white owl fly across a living room after you open the front door, you've missed a sight. I was sort of hoping the owl in the barn would hang around after we moved in but he didn't.

We also had a rare golden eagle sitting on a fence post behind the barn two summers ago. It's the coyotes where I draw the line. I've shared too much with these critters already.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
We had a couple of beautiful barn owls living in the farm house and one in the barn when we bought this place five years ago. The place had been a bank repo and had not been occupied in several years so it was a wildlife haven. The owl in the house had been coming in through a roof turbine that had blown off and, if you've never seen a large white owl fly across a living room after you open the front door, you've missed a sight. I was sort of hoping the owl in the barn would hang around after we moved in but he didn't.

We also had a rare golden eagle sitting on a fence post behind the barn two summers ago. It's the coyotes where I draw the line. I've shared too much with these critters already.
As with me. Yotes are persona non grata. They like to dine and dash. Lol

Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Presumably before the '70s when it became illegal to kill hawks and owls.
Yelp ate many of them.

brushrunner

Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,942,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Had a Bald Eagle fly over the house a couple weeks ago. I called my 40# dog in to stand by my side at the house. Large birds of prey aren't particular about their source of meat...
You mean like this golden who took this deer in Siberia?

Capture on a trail cam by a research team.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1385095199474.jpg
Views:	12619
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	121282

Old 11-21-2013, 10:44 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,647,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
...snipped.... And you can be sure, after the owl ate that bird, had a nice cigar and a little brandy, it told all its friends about your location.
I just howled with laughter ! I have said this about my little garden. All the critters called all their friends and issued an invitation to their private larder....
"yeh, come on over. Just climb over the back gate. Mrs. P doesn't care and she has lots of good stuff to eat..."

Old 11-21-2013, 11:13 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,627,085 times
Owls are pretty hard core predators. When I lived on the farm, rotten creepy idiot town people would dump cats and kittens on our property - very few lasted more than a few days; if the hawks didn't get them the owls would.

I once got up at dawn to go out with the dog (60 lb golden) and a pretty big owl (sorry, don't know what kind - barn?) was sitting on a stump only about 20 yards away, and it stayed there and hooted and watched us for a minute before it flew away. Scared me - I was thinking it really might go after me. It sure was watching us.

And I kept thinking of the saying "I heard the owl call my name . . . " but I'm still alive so far! At least I think so.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 AM

130 posts, read 244,008 times
I live in a medium sized city 190,000 people give or take third largest city in GA in my neighborhood we have woods specifically behind our house and for years there's been deer that live in those woods they've been there probably longer than I have and I'm 21. Keep in mind I don't exactly live in a rural area nor would I necessarily label it suburban either I live right off of one of the busiest roads in the city. We don't really bother the deer and nobody bothers them, I do know one of my neighbors has a horse in their backyard or did which I'm not sure how that's even possible within city limits but since that's not necessarily wildlife I won't get into that but besides the family of deer that's pretty much it. I think we did have a owl living in the woods too at one time but then again for all I know that could of been one of my neighbors messing around or something come to think of it the only wildlife besides the deer in my neighborhood are my neighbors if that counts. haha.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I just howled with laughter ! I have said this about my little garden. All the critters called all their friends and issued an invitation to their private larder....
"yeh, come on over. Just climb over the back gate. Mrs. P doesn't care and she has lots of good stuff to eat..."
I guess I should clarify that I am not exactly ignorant as to the habits of predators. Lmao, I am ranch born and bred, been around livestock my whole life and have suffered some at the depradations of preds. I don't generally encourage carnivores to be unafraid of raiding my place. I have never and never will shoot a raptor. They have a place in my heart. Many yotes have dropped to my aim during calving and foaling season though.

This owl was a ...special...situation.Her brazenness and regal attitude impressed me, and I hated that particular rooster anyway. He was a henn beating, constant crowing, waste of good feed, and I had four others to butcher the following morning anyway.

Oh sure I am certain that owl enjoyed her repast, she hasn't been back and I'm content with our arrangement. .lol

Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,238,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I awoke the other night to a ruckus at the chicken coop. So, I grabs my flashlite, and took a peek. The front, open topped, part of the coop was holding roosters, culled out from the group, and a female Great Horned owl had the largest of the five pinned down. I was only a few feet away, on the other side of the wire, and she could have cared less.

Instinctively, I yelled, and rattled the coop door open as she just continued to throttle the hapless rooster, with gusto. It was then it occured to me tbat chicken was useless to me anyway. They were all slated for the block, and freezer space is getting lean. So, I backed off and watched the show. The owl made sbort work of it, took one uninterested glance at me, and rose into the night taking the, fairly large, chicken with her. She was a beautiful bird, and an impressive grocery shopper. Saved me having to ax the critter.

It was quite a sight. I guess I was supposed to be mad about it, but this wasn't like coyotes in the calving pasture. It was extra, and a kind of burden, that I could easily spare. Plus, how often do you get to see a bird like that in action that close up. Wish I had had my phone and taped it.

Yea, it's ok to share sometimes. Hell, a critters gotta eat....
I'm right with you. If i was lucky enough to have some chickens, I would let an extra nest of eggs hatch out once in awhile to keep enough around to feel the odd cool owl or hawk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living