Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:00 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times

Advertisements

That last post made me laugh.

There are an awful lot of fat farmers, friends!

It's not like we're out plowing with a mule and a plow blade, or hand seeding!

Computers and very sophisticated machinery (some of which is quite cushy) are a part of most of our daily lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,779,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
That last post made me laugh.

There are an awful lot of fat farmers, friends!

It's not like we're out plowing with a mule and a plow blade, or hand seeding!

Computers and very sophisticated machinery (some of which is quite cushy) are a part of most of our daily lives.
Maybe, but you still have to operate the machinery. You sound like a farmer - is it really a sedentary job these days? Many of the articles I've read say that young people are put off by the idea of farming because it is a manual labor intensive life.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Maybe, but you still have to operate the machinery. You sound like a farmer - is it really a sedentary job these days? Many of the articles I've read say that young people are put off by the idea of farming because it is a manual labor intensive life.
Grain farming is not a labor-intensive job by any means in this day and age. It does require some long hours on large operations, but hard physical labor? Nah. And really you're actually "working" a few weeks out of the year, and spending the rest of your time planning for the next harvest/planting season (and counting your money).

Livestock farming is much more labor intensive, but on all but the smallest operations it's a hired hand or day laborer doing the "grunt" work rather than the farmer himself.

Trust me, we're not in danger of running out of farmers. In my area there are dozens of young guys biding their time working in a factory or repair shop or doing day work for one or more bigger farmers until one of the old guys retires or dies off so they can have a shot at renting that land and going to work for themselves.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
It is because farming doesn't pay. This whole sustainable craze is based on a myth. There are a TON of people who farm but they have jobs outside the farm. Competition is fierce. One local hippie market kicked out some Amish (dirt cheap products) because they were afraid of the competition. I get a chuckle out of the people who think if they say their stuff is permaculture it will sell. No. People buy cheap.

I blame Portland for this mess.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
It is because farming doesn't pay. This whole sustainable craze is based on a myth. There are a TON of people who farm but they have jobs outside the farm. Competition is fierce. One local hippie market kicked out some Amish (dirt cheap products) because they were afraid of the competition. I get a chuckle out of the people who think if they say their stuff is permaculture it will sell. No. People buy cheap.

That's the only thing stopping me, really. I'd love to tell everyone in this god-forsaken city to eat something and die and move out away from the traffic and just tend my land, but in order to "make it big" in farming or ranching you pretty much have to write a book (that people want to buy) about starting a small organic farm and how easy it is, when in fact starting a small organic farm is an enormous risk that will probably result in an increase in your workload by at least a factor of two and a reduction in your income of at least 50% (depending on what you are currently doing, of course, but if you're in a position to buy land then moving to farming probably means making a lot less money).

Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
That's the only thing stopping me, really. I'd love to tell everyone in this god-forsaken city to eat something and die and move out away from the traffic and just tend my land, but in order to "make it big" in farming or ranching you pretty much have to write a book (that people want to buy) about starting a small organic farm and how easy it is, when in fact starting a small organic farm is an enormous risk that will probably result in an increase in your workload by at least a factor of two and a reduction in your income of at least 50% (depending on what you are currently doing, of course, but if you're in a position to buy land then moving to farming probably means making a lot less money).

I got a laugh out of your.................."write a book"......., but you nailed it.

There was an organic couple near me who put on seminars on how to make a living on a small farm
They said they were proof it could be done.

He was drawing a military officer's retirement plus SS from a post military job
She was drawing a state retirement from being a college instructor

Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

I see many new farms start-up every year, new farmer's markets open every year.

I know at least 8 farms who willingly drive bread vans 4 hours to get down to the Portland markets every week. Folks come up from Boston to pay really high prices for the produce. [high as compared to around here].

It may not 'pay', your not going to become wealthy doing it. But you certainly can support a family.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
... starting a small organic farm is an enormous risk that will probably result in an increase in your workload by at least a factor of two and a reduction in your income of at least 50%
Good point, it might only be possibly on Low Cost areas.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
Here's a link to a really interesting article about young farmers: New farmers cultivate a greener future | Al Jazeera America

It basically says that a high percentage of new farmers in America are likely to be women or minorities.

It also mentions the microloan program through the Dept of Ag, and farming internships as a route.

It's so interesting to see how things evolve!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
It basically says that a high percentage of new farmers in America are likely to be women or minorities.

It also mentions the microloan program through the Dept of Ag, and farming internships as a route.

It's so interesting to see how things evolve!
A 'high' percentage of 30% I think is a statistical device. If most farms are owned by a male/female couple, all they need to do is list it under the female's name and they can qualify for better loans.

Internship programs like the one ran in this state by MOFGA do a lot of good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living