Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
I scream this one from the rooftops - look into aquaponics. You don't need good land or even much land (can use a parking lot or a rented area like behind a church or school) and it uses ~5% of the water regular dirt farming does. There's hundreds of videos up for free on YT showing how it's done and an 1/8 of an acre could be enough income to support a family. You can go the fish plus plant scenario (greens and protein production) or just the greens and use bullet proof goldfish or koi for the fish end of things. The world is going to need many more small local farmers to feed people as big Ag and Monsanto get a worse and worse reputation... don't need a combine or a tractor either and the pumps used to move the water around and aerate it use as little power as a light bulb.

There's a guy I saw posting on here the other day that's making a good living off raising ducks for duck eggs - said it paid better than his former IT job.
Color me skeptical that 1/8 of an acre ... 5500 square feet ... 55 feet x 100 feet ... is going to produce enough income to support a family. That's not going to happen in any temperate climate where the growing season is limited to April through October unless you're going to put your 5500 square feet under glass or plastic and shell out for heat.

If this was such a great and profitable idea, it would be much more common than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times
Around where I live, much of what used to be farmland are now subdivisions/non-farming businesses and most times when land is being sold, they're sold in chuncks not in one huge plot of land that is enough for a herd of cows.

It makes me sad thinking about it. I think subdivisions are ugly with the lack of natural looking trees and many houses close to each other.

Someday we may have to eat dogs and cats as a source of protein when there isn't enough land for all the cows and pigs to feed everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living