Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:03 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,264,896 times

Advertisements

Perhaps a new cash crop like legal cannabis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Perhaps a new cash crop like legal cannabis?
Opium poppies grow well in many areas as well!

You could corner the market!!

Not really a realistic solution as many states with "legalized" marijuana closely regulate the amount pushers can grow.
Police bust Spokane Valley marijuana grow operation | Spokane/E. WA - KXLY.com

Law is still law.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,264,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Opium poppies grow well in many areas as well!

You could corner the market!!

Not really a realistic solution as many states with "legalized" marijuana closely regulate the amount pushers can grow.
Police bust Spokane Valley marijuana grow operation | Spokane/E. WA - KXLY.com

Law is still law.

Yes. And when the law changes to where cannabis is regulated pretty much the same way as tobacco is currently, there will be a legal farming industry, requiring farmers.

As far as opium and coca, I'm really not sure how to approach them, but I think it's pretty obvious what to do about cannabis.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
In many areas it's more lucrative for and to grow sub-divisions than it is to grow crops. That's one issue. Others have been touched on, the type of work, the living on the edge (one hail storm, one late freeze, one windstorm) and all your work is laying on the ground.

Another issue, which is poo-pooed by many is the inheritance one. Many farmer's wealth is tied up in land and maybe equipment. When that farmer dies then the succeeding generation, if they wish to continue farming, have the inheritance taxes to pay. Which brings us back to my first statement about sub-divisions. Yes, the inheritance can be set up in such a way that taxes aren't an issue. Many do that. Just as many likely don't.

As an aside, had my father not died when he did I'd be outside Smethport, PA today, having just come in from milking the cows. My older brother got out, I couldn't have.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
... Another issue, which is poo-pooed by many is the inheritance one. Many farmer's wealth is tied up in land and maybe equipment. When that farmer dies then the succeeding generation, if they wish to continue farming, have the inheritance taxes to pay. Which brings us back to my first statement about sub-divisions. Yes, the inheritance can be set up in such a way that taxes aren't an issue. Many do that. Just as many likely don't.

We have a few programs in this region that assist older farmers to locate young farmers, and help in the transition from one generation to the next generation.

I have a friend [Tom R.] who has presented a few workshops on farm inheritance. Tom starts a new farm, and then attracts apprentices to live on-site and work it. Any apprentice who stays on-site, becomes a partner the second year. As soon as there are 3 [or more] partners, Tom guides them in forming a LLC, and the new partners buy Tom out. Then Tom starts a new farm somewhere else.

So far Tom is on his fourth farm. I have been a vendor in markets, alongside vendors from two farms that had been started by Tom.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If most farms are owned by a male/female couple
Iowa stats: "women now own or co-own close to 50% of the farmland in Iowa. In 2007, women over the age of 65 owned over one-fourth of Iowa’s farmland, An increasing number are single owners . . . " Source: womencaringfortheland.org

Guess this means that though male owners are still the majority, female farm ownership has been slowly increasing over the past decades.

Women Food and Ag Network Harvesting Our Potential(SM) | wfan.org has an internship program.

I've been to several workshops in Minnesota and Iowa specifically for female farm owners.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:29 AM

603 posts, read 574,421 times
The problem with becoming a farmer is...you need a farm.

If you're going to make a go of it yourself, you probably need a farm of some size (150 acres +/-, I suppose) to support the sorts of machinery you're going to need to plant/harvest/etc. With corporate investors bidding up the price of farmland into the 7 figures (recent sale was $13,000 an acre) the barriers to entry are huge...

...so the only option is to rent.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Iowa stats: "women now own or co-own close to 50% of the farmland in Iowa. In 2007, women over the age of 65 owned over one-fourth of Iowa’s farmland, An increasing number are single owners . . . " Source: womencaringfortheland.org

Guess this means that though male owners are still the majority, female farm ownership has been slowly increasing over the past decades.

Women Food and Ag Network Harvesting Our Potential(SM) | wfan.org has an internship program.

I've been to several workshops in Minnesota and Iowa specifically for female farm owners.
With a couple, one person works in town, while the other stays at home and has the ability to attend workshops and conferences. If it is the female who attends conferences/meetings, she is the one putting her name on stuff.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
The problem with becoming a farmer is...you need a farm.

If you're going to make a go of it yourself, you probably need a farm of some size (150 acres +/-, I suppose) to support the sorts of machinery you're going to need to plant/harvest/etc. With corporate investors bidding up the price of farmland into the 7 figures (recent sale was $13,000 an acre) the barriers to entry are huge...

...so the only option is to rent.
As we see commonly around here, you can get into farming with 5 acres, and have the ability to support a family.

We bought two parcels of land, one was $350/acre the other was $900/acre [river frontage].

Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM

603 posts, read 574,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As we see commonly around here, you can get into farming with 5 acres, and have the ability to support a family.

We bought two parcels of land, one was $350/acre the other was $900/acre [river frontage].
That's sort of what we've done, but having a small plot for what essentially amounts to gardening vs having a commerically viable operation and a career are different animals. That's an incredible deal on land, particularly river frontage. I don't think there's a single acre in this state you could buy for under $1,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living