Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:06 AM

11 posts, read 9,675 times

Advertisements

Okay, I will try my best to explain what I'm looking for so that I can get the best feedback as possible.
So a little background about me, to help see if I will be a good fit for the city/town you have in mind. I'm a African american 23 year old woman and plan on moving next year most likely the end of the summer. I currently live in Long Beach, California...and long story short its just to much. I'm looking for a city/town in the mountains or close by the mountains. When it come to the size of the city/town.. I don't want small to the point that if i walked from the start of the town and 15-20 min later I'm at the end of town.( Also not so small that everyone knows everyone). So more of a medium city/town. Looking for outdoor activity like horseback riding and rock climbing. When it come to weather main thing I'm looking for is snow. I just want to be comfortable to go out for a walk, meet new people, <-- nice people-- i will be on my own so i would prefer a place that i wont be to hard to get to know people. It will also be nice not to have to deal with racist /mean people. Now I'm not naive to think there is a place where there are not racist people but i also happen to NOT be a size 5 super model..I'm more .. fluffy:D..so a limit on the extras would be nice. Thanks for taking time to read my post the help will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Glenwood Springs, Colorado.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Glenwood Springs, Colorado.

Thank you I will start looking into Glenwood

Old 09-17-2015, 03:45 PM

195 posts, read 278,612 times
Would you ever live in Alaska? Juneau is a great small-sized city and it truly feels like a small town. For some it is too isolated (not on the road system), but there are other small-ish towns between Anchorage and Fairbanks that could fit your criteria. AK, and particularly the SE and SW, checks all of your boxes for diversity, weather, and outdoor activities. Might be worth looking into

Old 09-17-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
Would you ever live in Alaska? Juneau is a great small-sized city and it truly feels like a small town. For some it is too isolated (not on the road system), but there are other small-ish towns between Anchorage and Fairbanks that could fit your criteria. AK, and particularly the SE and SW, checks all of your boxes for diversity, weather, and outdoor activities. Might be worth looking into
To be honest no i havent thought of Alaska that would be a big change . But i will do some research. Thanks for your help

Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
I like the Glenwood Springs consideration for you

If you are really serious about the horseback riding, I found this:

Colorado Horseback Riding in Glenwood Springs

It isn't just a rent-a-string horse and be gone for 30 minutes, it is real riding.

If your riding abilities need a tune up, I'm sure if you Google "training barns or lesson barns in Glenwood Springs, Co" something will pop up

Good luck to you

Old 09-18-2015, 03:33 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
If you want to stay in CA, try Bishop.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:21 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Are you aware that one of the financial magazines - I think it's Money - does yearly cover stories on the best places to live? You might try going to the library and looking up their idea from the last few years.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I too like Glenwood Springs (prefer Carbondale next door / college town)

for OP... I would find a nice college mtn town in the Smokies. Much lower price of admission that CO, and more 'close-by' opportunities. (a little snow can go a long ways to a LA gal). All winter (and part of the summer) may be a bit much)

There are some pretty nice CA mtn tons too (some are not so expensive)

My Favorites are Sheridan or Powell, WY, and Spearfish, SD (all are college towns and near mtns, but not IN mtns.)

Old 09-20-2015, 04:31 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
Los Cruces/Mesilla, NM, Salem or Medford, OR; Reno, NV; Helena, MT; Chattanooga/Knoxville area, Colorado Springs area, I'd do Homer as opposed to Juneau in Alaska but it's a fairly small place. Anchorage would fit. Both things (horseback and rock/ice climbing are available within a short drive) but you have to be okay with long winters if you are looking at AK. You didn't say in your inquiry but I assume that employment is also probably a consideration so you need a place where you can find work and afford to live which might knock out Glenwood Springs. Good luck on your search for a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living