Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
You clearly don't live in California. The Bay Area (what people call Northern California even though it's just north of the middle) is liberal. Los Angeles is sort of liberal. California is huge, and geographically speaking, most of it is rural and conservative. Redding is the big town for the extreme north of CA, far from the Bay Area, thinly populated mostly by ranchers, and the most conservative part of the state.

Also, Redding is notoriously high-crime. It is not 'just like any other city'. There are nice places in Redding I assume but I've never seen them myself. When I have to pass through Redding (it's on the route to the Pacific Northwest) I take my big protective dog with me because I don't own a gun. But usually I just stay in Red Bluff, a much nicer and smaller town not far away.
Lol @ this, because I actually live in Pleasant Hill, California (East Bay Area). While I know Redding isn't the "nicest", it's far from the worst. I'd live in Redding over most areas around the Bay ANYDAY, and part of the reason for this is I am not a liberal like all else in & around the Bay Area. I've been to Redding many many times for work, and have explored my fair share. I've never felt "in danger" by any means. Never had my work truck broken into, something that has happened twice in the Bay Area. I like Redding, personal opinion of course.

Crazy how saying I don't live in California made you look dumb. Don't talk about what you don't know when it comes to someone you've never met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:26 PM

374 posts, read 377,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Lol @ this, because I actually live in Pleasant Hill, California (East Bay Area). While I know Redding isn't the "nicest", it's far from the worst. I'd live in Redding over most areas around the Bay ANYDAY, and part of the reason for this is I am not a liberal like all else in & around the Bay Area. I've been to Redding many many times for work, and have explored my fair share. I've never felt "in danger" by any means. Never had my work truck broken into, something that has happened twice in the Bay Area. I like Redding, personal opinion of course.

Crazy how saying I don't live in California made you look dumb. Don't talk about what you don't know when it comes to someone you've never met.
Of course there are worse places in California. In terms of crime, there are probably a fair number of places in the Bay Area which are worse. I've lived in some of them -- Oakland, the Western Addition in SF.

So you are conservative and feel out of place in the Bay Area. This is not a big surprise either.

You might feel in more danger at night in Redding if you were a 5'2" 115 lb. 60 year old woman. Which, I'm going out on another limb here, I'm going to guess you aren't.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
Of course there are worse places in California. In terms of crime, there are probably a fair number of places in the Bay Area which are worse. I've lived in some of them -- Oakland, the Western Addition in SF.

So you are conservative and feel out of place in the Bay Area. This is not a big surprise either.

You might feel in more danger at night in Redding if you were a 5'2" 115 lb. 60 year old woman. Which, I'm going out on another limb here, I'm going to guess you aren't.
I am not. But an even better question, why would a 5'2" 115lb,60 year old woman be doing out at night?

Common sense should be used no matter what city/town you're in. Again, it's all personal opinion of place, I just happen to not hate Redding

Old 05-29-2017, 05:51 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The Midwest and Southeast are probably the worst places to be in terms of air pollution. Thank the coal plants for that. Places that are cheap are usually cheap for a reason. In many instances it does reflect the quality of life there. Polluted places are cheap but why would you want to live there.
Except that can't be any more wrong. I didn't count but it would appear around 3/4 of the cities listed are in the Southeast.

Cleanest U.S. Cities for Short-term Particle Pollution

Albany-Schenectady, NY
Alexandria, LA
Asheville-Brevard, NC
Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy-Springs, GA
Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC
Austin-Round Rock, TX
Bangor, ME
Beckley, WV
Bellingham, WA
Birmingham-Hoover-Talladega, AL
Bowling Green-Glasgow, KY
Brunswick, GA
Buffalo-Cheektowaga, NY
Burlington-South Burlington, VT
Cape Coral-Fort Myers-Naples, FL
Casper, WY
Charleston-Huntington-Ashland, WV-OH-KY
Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC
Charlottesville, VA
Chattanooga-Cleveland-Dalton, TN-GA-AL
Colorado Springs, CO
Columbia-Orangeburg-Newberry, SC
Columbus-Auburn-Opelika, GA-AL
Columbus-Marion-Zanesville, OH
Corpus Christi-Kingsville-Alice, TX
Des Moines-Ames-West Des Moines, IA
Dothan-Enterprise-Ozark, AL
Eau Claire-Menomonie, WI
Edwards-Glenwood Springs, CO
Elmira-Corning, NY
Erie-Meadville, PA
Evansville, IN-KY
Farmington, NM
Fayetteville-Lumberton-Laurinburg, NC
Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR-MO
Florence, SC
Florence-Muscle Shoals, AL
Fort Smith, AR-OK
Gadsden, AL
Gainesville-Lake City, FL
Goldsboro, NC
Grand Island, NE
Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, NC
Greenville-Washington, NC
Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS
Harrisonburg-Staunton-Waynesboro, VA
Homosassa Springs, FL
Hot Springs-Malvern, AR
Houma-Thibodaux, LA
Huntsville-Decatur-Albertville, AL
Jackson-Vicksburg-Brookhaven, MS
La Crosse-Onalaska, WI-MN
Lafayette-Opelousas-Morgan City, LA
Lake Charles-Jennings, LA
Lakeland-Winter Haven, FL
Lansing-East Lansing-Owosso, MI
Lexington-Fayette-Richmond-Frankfort, KY
Lima-Van Wert-Celina, OH
Longview-Marshall, TX
Lynchburg, VA
McAllen-Edinburg, TX
Milwaukee-Racine-Waukesha, WI
Mobile-Daphne-Fairhope, AL
Monroe-Ruston-Bastrop, LA
Montgomery, AL
Morgantown-Fairmont, WV
New Orleans-Metairie-Hammond, LA-MS
North Port-Sarasota, FL
Oklahoma City-Shawnee, OK
Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, FL
Owensboro, KY
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL
Parkersburg-Marietta-Vienna, WV-OH
Pensacola-Ferry Pass, FL-AL
Pittsfield, MA
Pueblo-Canon City, CO
Richmond, VA
Rochester-Batavia-Seneca Falls, NY
Rome-Summerville, GA
Saginaw-Midland-Bay City, MI
Salisbury, MD-DE
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX
Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA
Savannah-Hinesville-Statesboro, GA
Scranton-Wilkes-Barre-Hazleton, PA
Sierra Vista-Douglas, AZ
Springfield-Branson, MO
Springfield-Greenfield Town, MA
St. George, UT
Syracuse-Auburn, NY
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
Texarkana, TX-AR
Tulsa-Muskogee-Bartlesville, OK
Tuscaloosa, AL
Urban Honolulu, HI
Valdosta, GA
Virginia Beach-Norfolk, VA-NC
Waterloo-Cedar Falls, IA
Wilmington, NC

Old 05-30-2017, 08:08 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"Cleanest U.S. Cities for Short-term Particle Pollution

Albany-Schenectady, NY
Alexandria, LA
Asheville-Brevard, NC
Austin-Round Rock, TX
Bangor, ME
Beckley, WV
Bellingham, WA
Brunswick, GA
Buffalo-Cheektowaga, NY
Burlington-South Burlington, VT"

I have no idea how that list was made, but it is pure BS. Burlington has a wood burning power plant that is a polluter enough that property values around it are affected. Birmingham AL, let me put it this way- when I was thinking of moving back to B'ham and searching the area, I got a great view of the pollution pool over B'ham from a road on Double Oak Mtn. to the south. It reminded me of the times my eyes burned in midsummer just from going out to mow grass.

All I can think is that the person who put the list together averaged the bad cities with good areas to bring the stated levels down. Talladega is nowhere near B'ham and sits in a forest area.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Cleanest U.S. Cities for Short-term Particle Pollution

Albany-Schenectady, NY
Alexandria, LA
Asheville-Brevard, NC
Austin-Round Rock, TX
Bangor, ME
Beckley, WV
Bellingham, WA
Brunswick, GA
Buffalo-Cheektowaga, NY
Burlington-South Burlington, VT"

I have no idea how that list was made, but it is pure BS. Burlington has a wood burning power plant that is a polluter enough that property values around it are affected. Birmingham AL, let me put it this way- when I was thinking of moving back to B'ham and searching the area, I got a great view of the pollution pool over B'ham from a road on Double Oak Mtn. to the south. It reminded me of the times my eyes burned in midsummer just from going out to mow grass.

All I can think is that the person who put the list together averaged the bad cities with good areas to bring the stated levels down. Talladega is nowhere near B'ham and sits in a forest area.
That's what I was thinking too! Corpus Christi Tx, for example, has belching oil refineries and parts really stink- as in bad smell stink!!! So does Biloxi, Ms.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
That list is worthless. it has no evidence referenced to back up its claims.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:39 PM

289 posts, read 220,015 times
Small cities outside Houston fit all of those bills.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:57 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Just for the fun of it, as far as COL goes in Redding, CA compared to the rest of the US

Apartment rent is just $40 above US average
Mortgage payment is just $100 above US average

The overall COl index is around 105, US average is 100. It's not much more expensive at all. One of the areas of California that isn't
A lot of those COL indexes are meaningless. Everyone has different things that they buy and need. Just lumping it all into an index is of no value.

Well first of all clean air. The Sacramento valley has a lot of air pollution. Its better the farther north you go but I would not call it clean.

Cost of living. High gas prices statewide, high cost of things like car registration etc. And compared to most rural and small town areas outside of California Redding is expensive.

Redding is hot in the summer but gets a lot of rain and cool weather in the winter, even a dusting of snow sometimes.

If someone wants to live in a rural part of California better out in the desert areas. Much cheaper than Redding. 29 Palms and up towards Ridgecrest would work. Sunnier and dryer in the winter.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:02 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
California taxes would be enough to make even small towns unacceptable to me if I had the same criteria.

State taxes are just that state wide....high property taxes and state income taxes would be an issue even in a small town with lower cost housing,

Tennessee would be my choice. small towns near the center or eastern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living