Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,990 times

Advertisements

This barn is on Back Kingdom Road in Mexico, Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
[url=http://www.pbase.com/btullis/]Bob Tullis's Photo Galleries at pbase.com[/url]

This will get you to Bob' photo gallery. We in Bovina are quite proud of Bob's photos of our area, even if he is a weekender

Lots of red barns here, as Cow has stated and no one captures the area like Mr. Tullis!
Heh. A double compliment, if ever I heard one.

Thank ye, kindly.

Interesting discussion, one which for me falls under 'learn something every day'.

...Bob

Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
barns were painted red to keep the aliens away

idk why really, but thats the same color my grandpa and dad painted every single thing around our house, the dog pen, the barn, the shed, if it was outside and wood it was painted red..

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,554 times
I don't really know, but on this farm during all the gray days of winter, it's nice to have some bright color.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtullis View Post

Thank ye, kindly.

Interesting discussion, one which for me falls under 'learn something every day'.

...Bob
Oh Bob, call it a quadruple comment my friend You are by far the most inspiring photographer I have ever seen. Our area is so very special and you express that through your lens. I am in awe with each new photo I see.

you didn't know you were being watched did ya? Ah the power of the Internet Honestly you do all us Bovina folk proud to be our neighbor, friend, and keeper of our land!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtullis View Post

Thank ye, kindly.

...Bob

Well you are the best photographer in the world just face it...

Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Sweden's countryside is filled with red barns, outbuildings and houses. In northern Sweden they have the worlds largest iron mine. Sweden was a pretty poor country back in the day...and most could only afford the very cheap red paint, made readily available by the iron mine. So that's what everyone used. And most still use to this day. It's a traditional color there and it very nice to see those old red barns set against the green backdrop of the pastures or the deep blue sky. It might be that the many immigrants that started coming in the 1800's used the same traditional color when they settled here in America.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
I wanted to thank all the contributors to the thread and especially to Bovina for starting it. I finished my article on barns, on time, and discovered that one of the photographs I took of a working dairy farm will be on the magazine's cover. I know that the farmer will be astounded as I twisted his arm to include his barn, but I also hope that he will be proud that the dairy farmers who remain in my county are still honoured and respected.

And I managed to squeeze into my 1000 word article the origin of the colour red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here's a typical barn I see around here--very weathered but still structurally a beauty--and just up the road from me.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:56 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,019 times
Smile Cute thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Sweden's countryside is filled with red barns, outbuildings and houses. In northern Sweden they have the worlds largest iron mine. Sweden was a pretty poor country back in the day...and most could only afford the very cheap red paint, made readily available by the iron mine. So that's what everyone used. And most still use to this day. It's a traditional color there and it very nice to see those old red barns set against the green backdrop of the pastures or the deep blue sky. It might be that the many immigrants that started coming in the 1800's used the same traditional color when they settled here in America.

It's nice to see the neighbours' barns on the Internet!
Like Rance said, in Sweden the traditional colour of houses of all sorts is red due to the mass amounts of iron in the country. In the 18th century, people were very, very poor, and the cheapest way of making paint was by using iron from the mines. Most of the paint was made in Falun (in the province called Dalarna, in the middle of Sweden) which is why the most common paint used on Swedish houses is called Falu rödfärg (Falu-red paint/colour). (And it's the brand used to paint those barns on the pictures above. I know, I helped out on one and saw the other two being painted).

I don't think I've ever seen a barn in any other colour than red. Hm. I wonder if there are any...? (In Sweden, I've seen other colours in other countries)

Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
http://www.secondnatureconstruction.net/commercial-residential-painting/paint1/Painting1_09.jpg (broken link)
This color is nice

I saw this color, or one similar, a lot when I was a child. The local train depot was this color. I think they had a lot of paint left over, and my parents bought it from them?? My mother painted everything 'cream colored'. :-)
I still have some of her and my dad's kitchen chairs that are this color.

I like old barns too, and have a few pics of local ones. There is an espacially nice one not too far from here, that my sister took a pic of while visiting here form Idaho. I guess I need to get a copy of it that I can post...:-)

Thanks for this thread. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living