Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
No.

Now, you might have hit the nail on the head.

There is a lot that can be missed on a single visit.
Have you been to either place even one time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 02:25 PM

599 posts, read 499,042 times
Quote:
Don't know why I tried to have an intelligent discussion with a nevertrumper.

Guess, for a moment, I thought intelligent conversation would be possible, but that would require someone who does something other than demonstrate Trump Derangement Syndrome, for me to converse with.

I may cut and past, but at least I have reliable information that isn't formulated by leftist rags and nevertrumpers. As you have no reliable resources, I have no further use to listen to you.

Plonk!
That says it all. You can't even express a coherent thought in a sentence form, yet are deluded enough to think you are debating me, that is rich. LOL. You learn a few cutesy retorts like, "trump derangement syndrome" and cut and past some selected garbage, and you are now an economics expert? I'm not an expert in the topic in the least. I do however pay attention when a large group of highly regarded professionals in the field, INCLUDING FIFTEEN NOBEL LAUREATES ! collectively tell trump that tariffs, and trade isolationism are a well documented road to failure, and that it won't end at all in the way he thinks it will.

Stick to reddit, when you can all recycle the same garbage and congratulate yourselves on what a bunch of intellectual giants you are Hurry Q has another crumb for you.....................only YOU can save us from the deep state, LOL.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:45 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
When I was born (1942) my home town had around 1800 people.

When I graduated high school (1960) in was down to about 800.
Last census showed 235 folks.
There are no schools (nearest is 12 miles away), no stores, 1 gas station on the highway, 1 restaurant, 1 bar and lots of abandoned houses.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:48 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Have you been to either place even one time?
Nope. But I have been to places like them.
Often.
Grew up in one.
It doesn't exist any more, as a legal entity.
But there is a string of houses, all about
200 yards from each other, along a couple
of country roads. The people are still there.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I live in a small town that just "thinks" it's reviving itself because it is full of businesses that cater to the top wage earners in the county. A "Gourmet" doggie biscuit store, of course a Craft Brewery, a place that does wine tastings and tapas, a gift "shoppe" (always need to spell it that way for that trendy touch), a frozen yogurt place where a good size bowl of frozen yogurt with toppings will run you about as much as a steak dinner, the ever present antiques, and of course an overpriced coffee shop.

Go two blocks in any either direction and you will see the carcasses of manufacturing plants and the former-mill worker's houses filled with Section 8 tenants and squalor. The local super center Wal-mart makes a killing off of all our food stamp recipients, and so do all the "walk-in" emergency care clinics that keep popping up because we have a large medicaid base and they want to get a piece of that guaranteed medicaid paid pie.

Meanwhile, the working class people keep pounding it out day after day, trying to stretch their dollars more and more, and try to keep from getting sick if possible, just hoping their homes and their neighborhood isn't the next one that changes from safe and stable to unsafe and crime ridden. Church on Sundays and dinner afterwards at one of the many cheap fast food and chain restaurants around is the "salve" of hope that seems to keep it all together.

That's about the sum of my rural small town anyway.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 PM

599 posts, read 499,042 times
Roguemom, you might want to check on your claim about how all the walk in clinics are just there to mop up all those huge medicare dollars. I am a couple of hundred miles north of you, and I know for a fact that none of the ones here (and there are lots around) will even give you a band-aid unless you have cash or private insurance. Medicare, or medicaid? They politely direct you to the ER, or one of the walk-in clinics operated by the local hospital systems. Might be different in other places, but here the Franchise and chain walk-in clinics are interesting in raking in the big dollars and being highly profitable, that doesn't happen with care/caid levels of payment. The DW needed care for a pulled tendon while we were visiting Branson. The hospital affiliated walk-in clinic wouldn't even accept traditional BC/BS coverage, they demanded $175 in cash, upfront, before they would even look at her. Naturally, we got screwed out of coverage when we submitted the bill, but had it been a typical visit, it would of paid less than $100. Walk-in ERs are highly profitable, they don't get that way (at least here) buy catering to poor folk, with medicaid cards.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:57 PM

635 posts, read 784,539 times
I have looked around for a dying town with cheap homes. Else than really bad places they just don't exist. Housing is expensive in most places and wages don't come close to making up for it. Most of the houses where I live are over two hundred thousand dollars and the average wage is like eleven bucks an hour. People escaping California seem to drive up prices and locals pay the price.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Nope. But I have been to places like them.
Often.
Grew up in one.
It doesn't exist any more, as a legal entity.
But there is a string of houses, all about
200 yards from each other, along a couple
of country roads. The people are still there.
That’s what I thought.

If you have never been there even one time, you do not know what they are like.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I have looked around for a dying town with cheap homes. Else than really bad places they just don't exist. Housing is expensive in most places and wages don't come close to making up for it. Most of the houses where I live are over two hundred thousand dollars and the average wage is like eleven bucks an hour. People escaping California seem to drive up prices and locals pay the price.
South Texas

Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I dont understand how the locals pay the price? result is, higher property taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living