Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 11:44 AM

5,955 posts, read 3,706,857 times

Advertisements

I recall a thread on here a few years ago where a person in Ohio (I think) got tired of having his mailbox destroyed by vandals and cars that run off the road. So he constructed some extra strong post and box to better withstand the damage.

Unfortunately, shortly after he installed the super strong mail post, someone slid their automobile into it (on an icy road) and became paralyzed due to hitting such a rigid object.

I don't recall the exact penalty that the property owner paid, but it was severe and may have even involved some jail time. You might want to reconsider your idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 11:53 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I recall a thread on here a few years ago where a person in Ohio (I think) got tired of having his mailbox destroyed by vandals and cars that run off the road. So he constructed some extra strong post and box to better withstand the damage.

Unfortunately, shortly after he installed the super strong mail post, someone slid their automobile into it (on an icy road) and became paralyzed due to hitting such a rigid object.

I don't recall the exact penalty that the property owner paid, but it was severe and may have even involved some jail time. You might want to reconsider your idea.

This is what I was going to say.

What about making a decorative square box about 2' square. Fill that with concrete, put a metal pipe just sticking outof the concrete, then put your mailbox post inside that. This way when someone hits it you only need replace the post and maybe the box. You could paint it and put some fake flowers or something in the concrete.

Or get a chipping hammer and drill like a 1" hole down into the rock and stick a pipe in it.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Because we're all sitting on rock, we and most of our neighbors have rock mailboxes -- stacked and cemented stone with the mailboxes inside the stone. The mail box flag is attached to the stone, so the carrier can see when it's up.

Being on a dead end road, we don't get the teen drive by smashings and it's very rare for a drunk or texter to even be on this road (or at least they seem to be paying attention). In fact, the only mailbox knocked over to date was ours in 2015, when a guy pulled into our driveway and tried to turn around with a long bed trailer. He backed it straight into the mailbox and left stone rubble all over the place. His employer paid to have it professionally rebuilt. We used the broken stone to shore up the driveway sides over the culvert.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

No, the Ohio Supreme Court found the owner of the mailbox not liable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1bOZSHwPg&t=2s

Old 07-17-2022, 10:08 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I've seen "caged" rock used several places, it might work for a mailbox, too.
It's basically wire mesh--hogwire fencing or something heavier--shaped into a box and filled with rocks.

I've seen it used as retaining walls, berms for flood control, fence rail supports, and one was in front of a pawn shop to prevent thieves from driving through the front window.

I think it would take a pretty big hit and still be OK, since the loose rocks would absorb a lot of impact.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:30 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
A classmate of my brother was out one night, drunk, with some of his buddies. He was laying in the back seat with his feet out the window. Driver drove too far over on the shoulder, both feet hit a mail box, breaking both of them. Doctor said if the driver had been going maybe 10 MPH faster, the classmate could have lost one, if not both, feet.

I found this on the regs for rural mailboxes. I like the two videos of good and bad examples of mailboxes. This mentions snow plows. When we plowed and someone claimed we knocked their mailbox down the state highway department would replace the post, and box if it was damaged. We replaced it with a 4x4 post, which is safer if hit. There were some we replaced that looked like the reason the post failed was all the termites in it quit holding hands. lol

https://cals.cornell.edu/nysltap-loc...adside-mailbox

Old 07-17-2022, 11:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I build a "swing-away" arched pole from fenceline to roadway, and mount a horizontal swinging chunk of 16" ADS (culvert), long enough to mount a metal locking mailbox inside.

Indestructible, weatherproof, cheap, fast, no maintenance required.
Works for snow plows, baseball bats, beer bottles, and errant drivers.

[url]https://www.berwickmaine.org/departments/highway_public_works/snow___mailboxes.php[/url

But hanging / by chains / loops on horizontal swinging post, as per above.
https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/...ainage_Mailbox

This is more like it...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...nNuiNlYY5Xcg&s
A snowy area nearby has a lot of interesting mailbox designs, some look like small construction cranes. I was hoping to convert a steam shovel to a swinging mailbox, but I'm in a federal protected natural scenic area that does not allow items which are not subordinate to surrounding natural landscape. (Including homes).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-17-2022 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-17-2022, 11:46 AM

5,955 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
No, the Ohio Supreme Court found the owner of the mailbox not liable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1bOZSHwPg&t=2s
Thanks for the update. I wasn't aware of the Ohio Supreme Court's ruling. Perhaps it's worthwhile noting that while this is the current law for the state of Ohio, other states may interpret their law differently.

Clearly it's a controversial subject since the Ohio Supreme Court was split on the ruling. I think that if I were contemplating installing a roadside mailbox, I would rather face the aggravating possibility of having to replace the mailbox and/or post from time to time rather than risk severely injuring someone and perhaps also jeopardize my financial future.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:06 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Well, I did it!.......for now.

Used a 20 gal galvanized can. Put the old used concrete in it, two mini RR ties, the old box's support shafts, and a 60 lb bag of concrete that never lived because it took in moisture and is now a big brick! Bungie cord the sticks together to the box's shafts, poured in 150 lbs of sand.

It's stable, for now.

The previously shown post and metal box, well, if I do it, it needs to be trimmed by about 10 inches and I need to figure out a way to get that mail box on it for it does not fit flush.

If this approach doesn't work, those may be my next try........or maybe just contract it out to have the post dug in the ground.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Here is another idea...use a half-whiskey barrel, and soil instead of sand. With the post in the center, you can plant some colorful annuals like Petunias, Impatiens, or Coleus in the soil around the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living