Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

It is my understanding that Texas has nine aquifers. The Ogallala aquifer [and all towns and farms located over it] went dry last year. Some of their other aquifers dipped pretty low.

Be cautious of drought-prone regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
I did mention that NM is mstly different from what people are looking for... I think. Please excuse that, 22 and I already forget a lot of stuff.

I really can't explain why NM has such a problem with gangs... I also didn't say that mean to imply that drugs, crime, and booze were limited to the country OR that they're typical of rural life in NM. I merely offered an opinion that there is nothing better to do. The smart ones get away, the dumb ones fall into that lifestyle and make everyone look bad.

Just don't get how you singled out NM for that. Other places in the SW have problems like that as well. My first post in this thread was just me being honest about purchasing land in NM. Like I said, it all depends on what you're looking for and where you're looking.

Edit: it is indeed too bad that gangs are a problem, not just for NM but everywhere. Of course, if we were allowed to use MY method of getting rid of them... wouldn't be as much of an issue

Old 05-26-2012, 01:46 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
NM is the only state you find gang taggings in small towns
You've obviously never been on the reservations in the Dakotas...

Quote:
The Ogallala aquifer [and all towns and farms located over it] went dry last year.
Just as an FYI, the Ogallala aquifer goes clear up to northern Nebraska. I assure you, the entire thing has not gone dry.
Not yet, anyway.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:02 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
( regarding cheap land ) I recall what a banker told me many years back.

He stated everyone mentions when an acre of highly productive land brings a sky high price.
They don't get alarmed when an acre of land that is only 1/3 as productive brings half the price.

The half priced land is the bigger rip off.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
( regarding cheap land ) I recall what a banker told me many years back.

He stated everyone mentions when an acre of highly productive land brings a sky high price.
They don't get alarmed when an acre of land that is only 1/3 as productive brings half the price.

The half priced land is the bigger rip off.
You could look at it in that manner. I could see that reasoning.

Productive farmland sells for <quick google>:
$13,000 per acre;
$10,460 per acre;
$8,690 an acre:
$5,000 per acre.

Say a rough average of $9,000 per acre.

If 1/2 priced land sells for $4,500 per acre; and it is a rip-off.

Then what about 1/10 priced land? Land selling at $900 per acre. Is that still a rip-off?

Or 1/30th priced at $300 per acre?

The thread is about Cheap land in a rural setting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living