Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,947,101 times

Advertisements

I want to know if anyone knows how much approximately, a 200 gallon propane tank will last in a house with 4 people who use showers daily sometimes twice a day, cook, and will use the heat in the winters from dec-april. keeping the heat at 60. house is 1564 sq ft. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,012,486 times
Check with the propane dealers in the area. Unless it is a new home, chances are one of the dealers will be able to tell you how much that very house has used in the past.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,534,811 times
Someone in the "House" Forum on here might be able to help. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 AM

37,501 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Each region has a different quantity of heat needed to heat a home; and it varies each year.

Then how well insulated your house is, will completely change the numbers too.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,758,300 times
A gallon of propane contains approximately 91,000 BTU.

Therefore, your 200 gallon tank will run a 91,000 BTU rated furnace for roughly 200 hours.

As mentioned above, usage will vary widely depending on many variables: outside temperature, insulation values, air transfer, etc.

You can get a rough idea by ascertaining the BTU ratings on your various appliances and then estimating how much usage each of them gets in your household.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,084,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
I want to know if anyone knows how much approximately, a 200 gallon propane tank will last in a house with 4 people who use showers daily sometimes twice a day, cook, and will use the heat in the winters from dec-april. keeping the heat at 60. house is 1564 sq ft. thanks
I commend you for keeping the thermostat low but the shower every day and sometimes twice will cost you $ and use up two precious resources, water and power needlessly and I think a microwave oven will heat a frozen pre-made food item using less power (if you even eat those). Your question has been answered pretty well, I just wanted to add my two cent's.
Another thought is if you look in your attic if you have one, there may be room for more insulation and drafty old casement windows can be weather stripped perhaps with something removable.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,167,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
Cripes man! At 60 degrees how do you ever talk anybody out of their clothes (and sweaters) long enough to take a shower! brrrrrrrrrrrr

We have 760 square feet, two adults, shower every other day (no sweating in the winter, desk jobs), 73 tropical degrees (75 when nobody is looking) and our 330 gallon propane tank lasts for one fill all winter before we refill it again in March.

The secret is very good insulation (especially around doors and windows) heavy insulated drapes, and using the stove wisely. I do not care for microwaved food, but I will cook several casseroles at once freezing those unused, to make the best use of the oven when it is heated up.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 PM

764 posts, read 1,423,585 times
Let's see..... in north central Kentucky, our 200 gallon propane tank lasted about 4 to 6 weeks during the winters. I don't remember what we kept the thermostat set at. This was for an early 80's model single-wide mobile home, gas furnace and stove, electric water heater, and a factory-installed wood burning fireplace with a blower we used for supplement heat since it seemed the furnace didn't work so well. The mobile home wasn't well insulated and I think that had a lot to do with it. This was about 14 to 15 years ago. I was quite surprised because we had moved from an all-electric mobile home the same size and age (but in better condition I believe) where the utilities were much, much, MUCH less expensive. We had always heard gas heat was less expensive but I didn't find that to be the case at all.

pnc

Old 01-30-2010, 08:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,213,942 times
The OP asked a question that is impossible to answer.

The OP didn't even bother mentioning the state/climate they lived in, condition of the house ( insulation etc) .

About as " generic" as asking---------" how many miles per gallon should my vehicle get ? "

Attempting to answer that question ( or the OP's question) is impossible due to --inadequate information.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,947,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The OP asked a question that is impossible to answer.

The OP didn't even bother mentioning the state/climate they lived in, condition of the house ( insulation etc) .

About as " generic" as asking---------" how many miles per gallon should my vehicle get ? "

Attempting to answer that question ( or the OP's question) is impossible due to --inadequate information.
well you only had to ask me those questions you didnt have to be sarcastic about it. I thought that was enough info i have never had propane before. I do not live there yet. I was considering renting the house.but I got great info from everyone else. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living