Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM

75 posts, read 305,049 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how common it is to homeschool in a small town and everything kid-wise revolves around school and school activities. Do you see many homeschoolers in small towns? If so are they branded outcasts? Homeschooling is a popular alternative in the urban area where I am living, but I'm wondering if that is the case in smaller more rural areas. We are thinking about a move to a smaller town and also want to be a part of a homeschool community - is that possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
yes

Also, many home schoolers do participate in school activities even though they don't attend classes ( athletics, for example )

Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
It's not so common here - perhaps because religion is still taught in school provided the majority of parents sign up for it (which they do here). I generally - perhaps wrongly - associate homeschooling with people who are very religious.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
A public school is the last place I would want my children taught religion !

Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A public school is the last place I would want my children taught religion !
Could be. I don't know since I don't have children. As I understand it, parents can opt out but few do.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM

151 posts, read 326,308 times
We taught our children at home for 10 years, all while living in small communities. At one point we attempted to have them participate in programs through both the public & private schools in our area, with varying degrees of success. I find that home education is popular no matter where you live. It is simply another choice, but agree that a large majority who choose to home school do so because of their faith. I also think that those are the very folks that will find it most satisfying and will get through the harder days with a bit more grace and commitment.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 AM

75 posts, read 305,049 times
Thanks. I guess my thought is along the lines of that in smaller communities, where everyone knows, or knows of, everyone in the school, parents may have a little more influence about what goes on in there. And therefore maybe there is less reason to choose to homeschool if parents feel like they are able to be more active in the local schools. While faith definately plays a role in my decision, I am also just equally put off by some of the stuff that goes on in public schools education-wise. So my thinking, and I may be wrong, is that if parents feel like they can have more involvement in the public school they'd be more comfortable sending their children there versus homeschooling -- and those that do homeschool would end up kind of on the fringe.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
When we lived in small town Tennessee I knew a good number of families that homeschooled because they were really unhappy about the quality of the local public schools, and they always seemed to find a lot of non-school activities for their kids to do. Church youth groups can offer a lot of social activities to start with, and you've still got Little League and karate and dance classes in any 'bigger' small town.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:37 PM

151 posts, read 326,308 times
I think I get what you are saying, that in a small community the negative influence can be tempered by parental involvement. To a certian degree you are correct, but, remember sometimes it's the culture, not the teachers -it's the kids, the family dynamics, the overall mindset/worldview of an area that can set the tone for the public classroom. Your local public school is at the mercy of the "powers that be" as far as cirriculum, culture & discipine are concerned. You should try to educate yourself as to what your school district is all about & make your decision as to whether you believe you can accept the status quo, or be of any positive influence there.
Be warned, though that if you begin your venture into the classroom with the idea that you are going to change it for the better, once for all, you are going in fooled. You cannot begin a relationship with "change" as the goal. It does not work in any relationship. And you are up against a very large, powerful force with the education system in this country!
The overall goal is to educate your children. You are the one who has to decide the what, the how & the why of this endeavor. They are YOUR responsibility & so is their education. I chose not to abdicate my authority, many people happily abdicate theirs. Simply a choice. I did not feel comfortable with our school district.
Socialization is always coming up as the main issue people have with homeschoool - that the kids will not get socialized....think that through for a minute - it can be positive or negative socialization, you know. We felt as parents we should have more discretion in determining the tone of the socialization in their lives, espically as young children. There were lots of places to meet people - and of all ages, walks of life, gender, etc. I feel they are a little more accepting of others (or were, esp. as teenagers!) because they were not crammed into a room surrounded ONLY by kids who happenend to be the exact same age, but were surrounded by a real world of varous kinds of people, doing various kinds of things in varios ways.
I stand behind my decision & yes, we made our fair share of mistakes! But, we would have had as many, or more, who knows had we chosen another path. Our boys went into public high school as socialized & prepared & as anyone else & perhaps a bit more confident in themselves. They had rough times both at home & in the classroom. It's life. They are fine grown men now. So are the family & friends who educated in a classroom.
All in all - simply said - they are your children, entrusted to you and you will make a decision that you probably will question (often) and because you love them it will be the right decision ( for you & your family). And you can always be a wimp like me & only commit to 1 year at a time! We'll see how this oine goes, & maybe we'll do it again next year or maybe not!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living