Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM

107 posts, read 248,573 times

Advertisements

Bottom line is that what is being said is Police should not even try to assertain whether someone is in this Country legally or not, but we are ok with HR directors performing that task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlywhite View Post
Bottom line is that what is being said is Police should not even try to assertain whether someone is in this Country legally or not, but we are ok with HR directors performing that task.
"Welcome to the Hotel California!"

Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think there is a person out there that doesn't think hiring these people isn't part of the problem, but get real, it goes much deeper. And I happen to know of some companies that do check their hirees. They ask for green cards or SS cards. This isn't always foolproof by anymeans. Yes, I guess the govenment could crack down with federal ID cards. I suppose you want to see that happen? Do you think illegals can not figure out a way to get a SS card (in some cases) they figure out how to get faux green cards.

There is more than one reason these people are coming across the border. Many, not all are involved in drugs or crime. Would you not agree? Again, I didn't say all...many have family members here who will house them and feed them, on welfare in some cases.

The problems go so deep, it will take years to put a stop to this nonsense, but AZ is on the right track. Someone has to take action.

Nita
I understand what you are saying, but again, in my opinion, it relates back to economics, as most issues with respect to government assistance (or some would say entitlements) do.

Social Security and Medicare were both scrutinized heavily in their time. Some viewed it as a step towards expanding government, while others held the view that the government had an obligation to ensure the security of its middle class, who by and large keep the economy afloat, fight in wars to protect the rights of corporations to do business here, and build the infrastructure that allows commerce. The basic premise is that if you work, you are entitled to some form of security or remuneration, and it is governments' job to step in and provide that if a corporation will not.

Most corporations provide measly/zero benefits for those who do not hold at least a bachelors degree, and a very small fractional percentage do provide pensions for anyone of any level of experience or education.

How does this all relate back to illegal immigrants? Because the social services that everyone is complaining they are soaking up are granted to them through the same theories were applied to other working folks. To me it sounds more like you have a problem with social services in general rather than illegal immigrants.

I do agree with you on some of the other problems and causes that you referenced, but I think the answer to those problems is better solved by addressing individual issues with respect to various government programs. For example, if Welfare is not working, reforms should be made.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM

I know a couple formerly well paid salesmen that are living decently off of unemployment with zero plans to find another job . . . . . Neither of them are Mexican, so what should we do? Can we at least check their ID's? Lol.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Living decently?

I'm receiving the max amount for unemployment, and I would refer to the situation as getting by. If I didn't foresee this economic situation ahead of time, and not planned for it like I did, I wouldn't be in the "ok" situation I'm in now. I literally saved half of what I made the year prior to being laid off.

I really get tired of this nonsense that the unemployed are sitting at home, "making bank" off of unemployment not taking jobs because they are making more off of unemployment. Especially when it comes from people who would never work for less that $20.00 an hr based on principle, and nothing else.

The max for weekly unemployment is $450.00. Multiply that by 52 weeks, that is $23,400 a year. Based on 2,080 hours a year, that comes to $11.25 an hour. This is for people making about $46,700 a year. $35,000 a year qualifies you for what you would make if you were working full-time for minimum wage in California.

I suppose there are a few people who think they are getting one or two extras from "the Man" while sitting on unemployment, but for those of us who are stuck with $450 a week when we were making two or three times that amount, this situation is nothing but frustrating.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Living decently?

I'm receiving the max amount for unemployment, and I would refer to the situation as getting by. If I didn't foresee this economic situation ahead of time, and not planned for it like I did, I wouldn't be in the "ok" situation I'm in now. I literally saved half of what I made the year prior to being laid off.

I really get tired of this nonsense that the unemployed are sitting at home, "making bank" off of unemployment not taking jobs because they are making more off of unemployment. Especially when it comes from people who would never work for less that $20.00 an hr based on principle, and nothing else.

The max for weekly unemployment is $450.00. Multiply that by 52 weeks, that is $23,400 a year. Based on 2,080 hours a year, that comes to $11.25 an hour. This is for people making about $46,700 a year. $35,000 a year qualifies you for what you would make if you were working full-time for minimum wage in California.

I suppose there are a few people who think they are getting one or two extras from "the Man" while sitting on unemployment, but for those of us who are stuck with $450 a week when we were making two or three times that amount, this situation is nothing but frustrating.
I hear what you are saying. I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but there are always some people that try to "work" any government program, and I don't think it's specific to any one race. That's the only point I was trying to make. I believe it's a generalization that all illegal aliens are just here soaking up our resources. The majority of those that I have known work harder than most legal citizens.

I brought up my friends as an example because the two that I referenced are both college educated, but are literally not even attempting to look for another job. Both make a little money on the side that they don't report and are content with unemployment for the next year or so. I have a third friend who is also a salesmen who is ready to do the same. None of the three are illegal aliens.

It's a big issue with a lot of sides to it. I am not at all happy with the illegal immigration problem. Illegal aliens broke the union at the hospital my mother worked on by crossing picket lines to work, and destroyed the measly benefits the union had bargained for. They also drove wages down by $3 or $4 per hour in the roofing industry where a good friend of mine worked for years, causing a lot of legal citizens to lose a lot of money. That' rediculous.

But at the same time this law just seems flat out stupid to me and you can't open the door for racial profiling to be an acceptable form of investigating. That's my opinion on the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento